Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Autocomp Load for 9mm in 3-port compensator

MAC702

11 hours ago, AHI said:

So why did you start at 6.5 and not 5.8?

What did the 6.7 chrono at?...

Well, that was my fault.  It was at least a week since I loaded the rounds and put them in a box before actually going to the range to test them.

I pulled out the baggie labeled 6.5, and for some reason thought that was my starting load.  It wasn't until I sat down to write the after-action report to you guys that I saw the baggies labeled 5.8 and 6.2.  I felt like an idiot.

They all worked, and gave me the avg 172 PF.  I did have a few that were close to 165 PF, and didn't think that I was pushing it yet, so thought I'll try the next load up, especially since I was reading of a lot of data with guys using 7.0 - 7.1 grains, just to see if that would give me a consistent Major load if I ever needed one.

When that first one felt bad, I decided to quit for the day and think about it later.  I wouldn't want a 6.5 load anyway if 6.7 is that much too much.  I've no need to push the envelope that badly.

1.  I should have started at 5.8.

2.  Now that I see I started in the middle, and didn't like going up at all, I'm feeling better about starting over at the lower ones and checking for reliability and comp effectiveness again.

FWIW, the round that slapped me in the hands had a lower velocity, at about 1260, perhaps indicative of not all of the pressure going through the barrel.

17 hours ago, MAC702 said:

FWIW, the round that slapped me in the hands had a lower velocity, at about 1260, perhaps indicative of not all of the pressure going through the barrel.

If you increased the powder charge and the velocity went down you have passed (reached) a point that parts may start flying in many different directions STOP REDUCE CHARGE.

Yes, I thought I made it clear I understood that.  I was surprised I hit it so quickly based on data I was reading.  I even said I wouldn't use 6.5 because I don't even want to be that close.

just adding a tidbit of info have never used small rifle primers to load major 9.

but did find going from win small pistol to ccl small pistol magnum lowered the extreme spread

and standard deviation there for it rased the average power factor. 

1 hour ago, AHI said:

good just making sure you understand.

now you know that 6.5 is your max charge with your current components.

Thanks.  Yeah, and I had no intention of starting there.  Should have looked at all the baggies after a week...

Am using Winchester Small Pistol primers as that is what I have a lot of.  I have a couple different brands to try.  I need to unbox everything after moving all my components to another room.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be conserned with shooting major loads in that gun. But that’s just my concern. It’s a shorter barrel and on a polymer frame. Most people repling to the autocomp loads are most likely shooting them out of a 2011 platform with a 5” or 5.4” barrel. This gives you a .5”-1” longer barrel for increased velocity on a much heavier and tighter fit gun. 

The reason son autocomp is used in 9major loads is it’s one of only a few powders that can fit in the case and push the projective the velocity while giving the comp gas to function. 

Of if you are using autocomp, I would try 5.4 or 5.6, just enough to get some gas to the comp and cycle the gun. That’s just my two cents. Hope it helps

I agree with Hockey.  Why major if just for steel and not needed for USPSA open?   That 5.4 - 5.6 load of WAC should work well and not beat up the plastic gun.   It runs great in my P09, seems to be the sweet spot for the comp, and  knocks over anything.  Maybe go back to tuning springs rather than flirting with major loads.  JMO.

I agree.  I'm actually hoping I get full reliability and be no where near Major.  I will have the opportunity to test the other loads by Sunday.  I've been working on my precision rifle stuff for the past two weeks