Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GMR-15 Ordering Question and Discount Code Request.

So the wife and I are having a baby this month, so no shooting allowed for the next few weeks. I figured now is a good time to order a custom GMR-15 from JP, since the baby will distract me from the wait.

My local IDPA, USPSA, & Steel Challenge matches no one is running a JP, there are a few scorpions (not impressed with the trigger or recoil impulse) or a franken ar-9.

Questions:
1. Is anyone running the roller trigger system, how do you like it compared to traditional triggers.
2. What is the purpose of the side charging model? The gun shouldn't have any malfunctions so will I get a lot of use of this?
3. I like to run for vertical grip on the handguard (m-lock). How do I attach that to the jp rapid config handguard.
4. Can you recommend a reason to get the chrome bolt vs the black bolt?
5. I like to run the magpul bad lever can run one on this gun?

JP Sponsored shooters if you can pm me a discount code to help with the payment, I would really appreciate the early baby gift. (I'm ready to order this week)

Thanks
  Nick
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Side charging comes in handy for unloaded starts. 

There's no real discernable difference between nitride or NiB bcg's except for looks and that NiB will be a bit easier to clean. 

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to run a BAD lever.

1 hour ago, SwedishMoose said:

Side charging comes in handy for unloaded starts. 

There's no real discernable difference between nitride or NiB bcg's except for looks and that NiB will be a bit easier to clean. 

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to run a BAD lever.

Thanks

I didn't feel that the side charging handle was anywhere near worth the price. It's something, I feel, that's not used that often anyway.

I have the standard competitor trigger. Works fine for me. I think mine pulls 2+3/4 pds.

I definitely recommend the chrome bolt. It is SOOO much easier to clean.

I don't know what a bad lever is. But I changed out my handguard to a Smoke composite for the weight savings on the front end of the gun.

Get ahold of Darqsoul (sp?) here. He helped me with a code. Also watch the classifieds here. Sometimes people sell certs they have won at matches for a discount.

6 minutes ago, egd5 said:

I didn't feel that the side charging handle was anywhere near worth the price. It's something, I feel, that's not used that often anyway.

I have the standard competitor trigger. Works fine for me. I think mine pulls 2+3/4 pds.

I definitely recommend the chrome bolt. It is SOOO much easier to clean.

I don't know what a bad lever is. But I changed out my handguard to a Smoke composite for the weight savings on the front end of the gun.

Get ahold of Darqsoul (sp?) here. He helped me with a code. Also watch the classifieds here. Sometimes people sell certs they have won at matches for a discount.

Thanks I think I'm going to remove the side charge from my build and change to the NIB bolt. I was afraid the NIB bolt would cause glare if I have a tight side shot but I guess it won't be an issue.

I was summoned. (Thanks @egd5)

The roller trigger is nice if you like it. It seems to be 50/50 in that people that either love it or prefer a traditional / straight trigger. I have one on my LRP07 in 6.5 Creed and love it but most of my other guns have either traditional curved or flat straight triggers. 

The side charger is a great option but it's not as much of a "must have" as it is with a precision rifle where maintaining a sight picture while charging is critical. For a new baby budget, go with the Radian Raptor standard option and be happy. You can always get another rifle later :)

For attaching various parts other than JP stuff you can get a Pic Rail (JPTR-LRC) and mount directly to that. 

I like black because of aesthetics, outlaws wear black. There's some slight advantages to the black nitrided coating that are consistent with every other part but if you really like the polished stainless look go for it! Do note it's not a chrome coated bolt, it's polished stainless. 

Congrats on the new baby! 

Posted (edited)

Thanks everyone I just submitted my order to JP, now the wait begins. I will update when I receive the rifle and how my first match with it goes.

Edited by nick954

Nick - I got my GMR-15 3 weeks ago, won my first match and came in 3rd on the second - local stuff, no big deal.  You have some of the same questions I did - here is what I found along with my some other thoughts:

- because of the last round bolt hold open, you can't use a BAD lever without affecting that feature.  I looked at the Phase 5 EBRv3 and that won't work at all. 

- I got the polished chrome bolt - easier to see when cleaning in my opinion.  Shows the dirt more though. 

- I did not get the roller trigger - I've tried a similar (round, but not rolling) trigger from Timney - like a flat trigger better

- M-lok doesn't work.  You need to order the picatinny rail to mount a vertical grip.  I ordered the 2" to use with the Bravo MFG grip.  Make sure to get the one for the bottom of the hand guard, different screws for the top.  Haven't gotten this from JP yet. 

- I also did not get the side charger - didn't think it was worth it. 

- I ordered the short stroke, heavy buffer - 2 tungsten weights, 3 steel - incredible!!!  No recoil with 124g Fed ammo.  Highly recommended.  I told them what ammo I use, Adam made the recommendation and he was spot on. 

- I spec'd the medium safety lever for the right side - I hate it.  Gets in the way.  I just ordered the really small one - hope that is better, if not, I'll go to a non ambi safety.  

Good luck, keep us posted - I only have about 800 rounds through mine but have had 0 malfunctions of any kind.  The guys I shoot with that have Scorpions, PSAs, Spikes and others can't say the same.  

Phil 

I just googled what a bad lever is and I agree with SM. I don't see how it would interfere with anything. I have the extended mag release on mine (which I recommend) so I don't think I'd want a bad lever because it would be too much "stuff" right there together. Plus, and I'm guessing, running around during a uspsa competition there would be more likelihood of hitting the wrong thing at the wrong time. Murphy's law would surely kick in.

8 minutes ago, egd5 said:

I just googled what a bad lever is and I agree with SM. I don't see how it would interfere with anything. I have the extended mag release on mine (which I recommend) so I don't think I'd want a bad lever because it would be too much "stuff" right there together. Plus, and I'm guessing, running around during a uspsa competition there would be more likelihood of hitting the wrong thing at the wrong time. Murphy's law would surely kick in.

yeah monkeying around in the triggerguard seems like an invitation for a nd/ad.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, philmadxx said:

Nick - I got my GMR-15 3 weeks ago, won my first match and came in 3rd on the second - local stuff, no big deal.  You have some of the same questions I did - here is what I found along with my some other thoughts:

- because of the last round bolt hold open, you can't use a BAD lever without affecting that feature.  I looked at the Phase 5 EBRv3 and that won't work at all. 

- I got the polished chrome bolt - easier to see when cleaning in my opinion.  Shows the dirt more though. 

- I did not get the roller trigger - I've tried a similar (round, but not rolling) trigger from Timney - like a flat trigger better

- M-lok doesn't work.  You need to order the picatinny rail to mount a vertical grip.  I ordered the 2" to use with the Bravo MFG grip.  Make sure to get the one for the bottom of the hand guard, different screws for the top.  Haven't gotten this from JP yet. 

- I ordered the short stroke, heavy buffer - 2 tungsten weights, 3 steel - incredible!!!  No recoil with 124g Fed ammo.  Highly recommended.  I told them what ammo I use, Adam made the recommendation and he was spot on. 

- I spec'd the medium safety lever for the right side - I hate it.  Gets in the way.  I just ordered the really small one - hope that is better, if not, I'll go to a non ambi safety.  

Good luck, keep us posted - I only have about 800 rounds through mine but have had 0 malfunctions of any kind.  The guys I shoot with that have Scorpions, PSAs, Spikes and others can't say the same.  

Phil 

Phil you are awesome. That answered a bunch of questions I have.

I decided to go with polished bolt to make cleaning easier.

I did choose a flat trigger since I'm use to it on my other ar-15s

I didn't know the bottom of the handguard used a different screw system than the top thanks for that.

Edited by nick954
10 hours ago, SwedishMoose said:

I can't see how a BAD lever would interfere since it just sits over the bolt catch. 

Can anyone else chime in and help me understand? 

The BAD lever clamps the bolt catch from the front and back and the catch is too close to the lower for it to work.  The picture attached shows how close this is to the lower.  You can see the back portion of the BAD next to the catch.  I love the BAD lever on my other guns so I wish it would work but I'm not hopeful.  Adam from JP says some guys are installing them by modifying them somehow but the last round bolt hold open won't work.  

Phil 

BAD lever JP.jpg

On 1/7/2020 at 8:35 PM, philmadxx said:

Phil 

Phil,

How long did it take JP to send you the final quote?

How long after making final payment did it take for your rifle to ship?

thanks

10 hours ago, philmadxx said:

Nick

I asked for the final quote from them and got it the same day.  Send them an email.  6 weeks after they verified payment the gun was done plus a couple days to ship.  

Phil 

Thanks again Phil

I guess I got lucky with the build time.  JP sent me a quote on Dec 3, I reviewed the quote with a JP rep the next day, approved the revised quote and my GMR-15 arrived Dec 24.

Darqusoull13 was a big help with JP config questions

Darqusoull13 - Question for you Sir - I recently received my GMR-15 and have not yet put a round thru it but in reading the information that JP provided with my rifle there is a very detailed recommended break-in process...Can you or anyone else comment on following this process???  After spending what I did for this rifle I plan on following this process to the letter....

What are your thoughts on this process (is it beneficial in the short or long term)?  I just wanted to ask if you or others that did not follow the recommended break in process on their GMR-15 and if so did it affect the accuracy....Thanks Mark

13 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Darqusoull13 - Question for you Sir - I recently received my GMR-15 and have not yet put a round thru it but in reading the information that JP provided with my rifle there is a very detailed recommended break-in process...Can you or anyone else comment on following this process???  After spending what I did for this rifle I plan on following this process to the letter....

What are your thoughts on this process (is it beneficial in the short or long term)?  I just wanted to ask if you or others that did not follow the recommended break in process on their GMR-15 and if so did it affect the accuracy....Thanks Mark

I asked the JP rep the same question last month and he replied "It's not critical on the 9mm".  I didn't do it.

Also, read this if you haven't already done so:  https://www.jprifles.com/document_pdfs/9mm Barrel Accuracy _792.pdf