Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help needed Tanfoglio limited to open

scduckman03

I have a a Tanfoglio limited custom 9mm pistol (pictured below) that I was thinking about selling and now I am considering turning it into an open pistol. It already has the threaded frame holes for mount. I have a couple questions that I need answered. I changed every spring the pistol, would there be any springs that I lightened other than the recoil spring that I would need to change for 9 major?

1. Where do I find a threaded barrel That will fit?

2. What comp should I use?

3. Will This set up be safe with 9major?

4. Is there anything else I am forgetting?

478207AC-414F-42E7-9AB0-F8826A7960A0.jpeg

Edited by scduckman03

The easiest method would be to find a gold cup slide for 9 major/38 Super and then sell your complete slide to offset some of the cost. Then get whatever slide mount and or *thumb rest [generic]* that you want.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The barrel is the hard part. I ordered a 6" barrel from EAA and cut it down and threaded it to fit the comp I choose to use. Not easy, but Im not a gunsmith. The gun with the black comp is 9mm and the other is a .40 cal,,,

20190202_011322.jpg

I bought my gold team 9major upper from j&l gunsmithing in VA. His number is +1 (757) 567-5993.. he told me he gets them in every couple months. 
Perfect. He does work on my Tanfos for me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is my swap. 

Did exactly what you wanted to. 

Just take a new 6 inch barrel and have a competent smith thread on your comp with 5 thou clearance. 

Then you'll need to mess around with springs. You'll need to spring down to run minor and up to run major. 

20191110_112743-1008x477.jpg

On 2/4/2020 at 9:16 AM, Frigpig said:

Here is my swap. 

Did exactly what you wanted to. 

Just take a new 6 inch barrel and have a competent smith thread on your comp with 5 thou clearance. 

Then you'll need to mess around with springs. You'll need to spring down to run minor and up to run major. 

20191110_112743-1008x477.jpg

Which smith did you use to do your work

On 1/6/2020 at 6:34 AM, scduckman03 said:

I have a a Tanfoglio limited custom 9mm pistol (pictured below) that I was thinking about selling and now I am considering turning it into an open pistol. It already has the threaded frame holes for mount. I have a couple questions that I need answered. I changed every spring the pistol, would there be any springs that I lightened other than the recoil spring that I would need to change for 9 major?

1. Where do I find a threaded barrel That will fit?

2. What comp should I use?

3. Will This set up be safe with 9major?

4. Is there anything else I am forgetting?

478207AC-414F-42E7-9AB0-F8826A7960A0.jpeg

Pretty much only two choices on the barrel, a 6in from EAA, or a Patriot Defense 4.75 barrel (I dont know if the cone comp from Kneelingatals will work on that one?) both will need threaded.

Aftermarket comps are pretty limited to custom made, the one KneelingAtlas on here sells, there is also the Unica comp from Tanfoglio but that needs a threaded bull barrel (unobtanium?) or a custom conversion cone (may be easier than a full custom comp) one thing to keep in mind if making a custom compensator is the radius on the top of the slide is NOT centered on the barrel bore like on a 19/ 2011 so making one that looks half decent is doo-able it is for sure more work than one for a 2011 because of the off center turning required.

yes it will be safe

springs will all depend on load and comp and slide weight and barrel comp weight and your grip and hammer spring weight and firing pin stop shape, you will want to test several different weights to see what gets the dot to return to where it left from, on my gun with a 3 port custom comp no barrel holes I ended up with a 12lb and it returns nicely for me.