Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

front sight options Manny Dot anyone?

jimbullet

Help on making a decision please.

I want to upgrade one of my SVI 2011 pistol sights as it came with a 0.80 width black sight. I want to put a fiber optic on it.

My two other 2011's have a 0.100 width brazo lightning rod sight which is so easy to acquire because of the bright fiber. The other one has the 0.100 SVI fiber on it and I find this one of the dullest fiber optic front sight (must be my eyes).

I found a manny dot sight so the question is, has anyone tried the Manny dot which has a 0.70 width and the fiber behind the post? 

- Is the fiber optic bright enough that it is fast to acquire?

- Is a post of 0.70 good for IPSC?

I have only always stuck to the 0.100 width which works well but when I acquired the SVI with the 0.80 post, I was astounded by the grouping of the shots which was pretty tight. I dont know whether its the gun in general or is it the narrow post. The  hard part is that its all black and I slow down as I couldnt acquire the front sight fast enough but once acquired, the groups are spot on.

I’ve got a manny dot on my limited gun. I also prefer a big ol fiber dot so I run my fiber thru all 3 holes and out the front. I like it that way, enough so this is my 2nd gun with the same sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

59 minutes ago, shooterDrew said:

I’ve got a manny dot on my limited gun. I also prefer a big ol fiber dot so I run my fiber thru all 3 holes and out the front. I like it that way, enough so this is my 2nd gun with the same sight.

oh, I didnt think of it that way that you could run the fiber through all three holes. Excellent, will give that a go - thanks

4 hours ago, Shinarel said:

Would also add that if you decide the F/O isn't bright enough, it's very easy to replace with a pair of nail clippers and a lighter - pick whichever sets you like better, the fit the brightness you like.

I suppose so but its just been a 4 months since I changed it. While the brazo lightning front sight still is brighter and I had that for a year already at least.

16 hours ago, shooterDrew said:

I did the running through all three work better for me

I liked the idea of the MannyDot, but went with the MicroDot instead simply because I wasn't sure how much abuse the serrated post would take without breaking.  The width of the serrated post is only 0.015" on each side of the hole.  The MicroDot is 0.030" in that area.  I am pretty rough on sights, so went with the more robust one and haven't broken it yet! ;) 

I love the Manny dot and similar setups. 

On my 6 inch guns I run 0.070 front sight with 0.125 rear sight notch. Tons of light and love the picture. 

The Manny dot can easily get the larger fiber dot running it through all 4 holes like Drew said.