Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm tuning advice

Tim300wsm

I’m going to order my 1st witness (a 10mm pro) and am planning to change out the recoil spring, guide rod, hammer spring, firing pin spring and  front sight For a fiber one. I plan to use it for a hunting back up and maybe the occasional carry. It will also be used quite a bit as a range toy. My primary concern is reliability. My second biggest concern is a good trigger. Is there anything else I should/shouldn’t do? Thanks ahead of time

ETA

Watching Memphis mechanics videos on YouTube. Great videos and damn that  fingernail looks like it hurt

Edited by Tim300wsm

EGW 1-piece sear really improves trigger feel & allows ~2 lb break.

Omega grips look great and fit the hand much better than the factory grips.

I had custom springs made to tame the rather vigorous ejection, and use a shock buffer to prevent frame battering.  The ejector is also reduced to the minimum.

I have a Witness Elite 10mm that I also needed some recoil control over.  So I installed a Sprinco Recoil Management System (#19255 for my Witness 10mm) and that seems to keep any frame battering down.  Still launches cases into the next zip code, though.   I like this recoil spring arrangement and would do it again.  Not cheap but if you're going to shoot 10mm, you might want to give it some thought,

The 20lb recoil spring is a huge improvement.  The stock spring is just that, stock, to all calibers in the Stock III.  

I've done the full tune on the Stock III (10mm) and it is probably my favorite pistol, and it is absolutely the most accurate.  This is accounting for the Shadow 2 with accubushing w/full polish and CGW short reach trigger kit. The Stock III shoots inside it by half.  

My Stock III 10mm has the confit guiderod, 20lb wolf recoil spring, reduced 14lb hammer spring, and the most important thing, a full polish on all the touching surfaces. 

I went back to the stock wood grips after getting some flat g10 bogies Lok grips, the fit is better and my hand doesn't get torn up.