Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 major box ammo

scduckman03

44 minutes ago, Robertwil18 said:

So I have shot about 500 rounds of the 9mm Major Blackdot Ammo, and had a chance to chrono some today from my Honcho in Open configuration.  I am REALLY hoping the chrono (not mine) was just having a bad day and terribly wrong, but i was getting readings of 1995-2000 FPS for velocity at 10 feet.  I am going to get out again in a couple days and check again with a brand new chrono, hopefully in ideal conditions, and try to get a more accurate reading.  Had similar results with some of the 9mm Major loadings from Impact Ammo (121gr Major), right at 1990 FPS.  

There is no conceivable way it could really be producing 2K FPS velocity, right????

back up another 10 feet and see what you get...

I assumed chrono HAD to be mistaken.  3 different 9 Major loads, Blackdot, Impact, and hand load from a reputable sponsored shooter all showed almost 1995 fps each round fired.  

Chrono was in direct sun light, which I believed may have skewed it. I just bought a new chrono and will check again this week.  

Not going to lie, I felt for a second like o was on borrowed time with a mortar in my hand.  

25 minutes ago, Robertwil18 said:

Chrono was in direct sun light, which I believed may have skewed it. I just bought a new chrono and will check again this week.  

When in direct sunlight, instead of the plastic strips, place a target on top no-shoot side down.....white facing sensors.  If the sun is coming in at an angle put another target on top and off-set it enough to block the sunlight from reaching the sensors. 

Those numbers you show above are all consistently high though.  Usually when sunlight is causing issues your numbers are erratic, not consistent.

My first Pro Digital chrono was bad.  It was telling me my Trap loads were going 2000 fps.  It was funny how everybody backed up when they saw the screen.  They replaced the unit and it worked fine.

As others have said, no direct sunlight can be allowed to fall of the sensor windows.  The Pro Digital is more forgiving than say a Caldwell, but it still should be in the shade.  There is a reason the chrono stations at USPSA matches have the chronos inside a box.  BTW, it is worth the investment for the IR lights.  They are more consistent than sunlight, and more accurate.

• 2 years later...
On 1/2/2021 at 3:52 PM, Robertwil18 said:

So I have shot about 500 rounds of the 9mm Major Blackdot Ammo, and had a chance to chrono some today from my Honcho in Open configuration.  I am REALLY hoping the chrono (not mine) was just having a bad day and terribly wrong, but i was getting readings of 1995-2000 FPS for velocity at 10 feet.  I am going to get out again in a couple days and check again with a brand new chrono, hopefully in ideal conditions, and try to get a more accurate reading.  Had similar results with some of the 9mm Major loadings from Impact Ammo (121gr Major), right at 1990 FPS.  

There is no conceivable way it could really be producing 2K FPS velocity, right????

I know this is an old post, but any update on black dot ammo ? Have you been using it since ? Thanks 

21 hours ago, Eli_a said:

I know this is an old post, but any update on black dot ammo ? Have you been using it since ? Thanks 

I shot black dot ammo at open nationals two years ago and chrono'd 165 PF with two popple holes. Nationals chrono that year was measuring slow for a lot of folks, but it'll make PF

3 hours ago, sc68cal said:

I shot black dot ammo at open nationals two years ago and chrono'd 165 PF with two popple holes. Nationals chrono that year was measuring slow for a lot of folks, but it'll make PF

Thank you for the info. How did it run for you ? I plan on running black dot for a bit 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 6:19 PM, Blueknight749 said:

I was at a match last year and I seen Eley Ammunition was selling 9maj and 38SC and they claimed guaranteed pf loads.  They are worth a shot.

They sell 38sc but the 9 that’s certified is 9 minor. They won’t be making 9 major anytime soon. I wish tho since I live so close to them 

• 3 weeks later...

Black Dot Chrono data, 2 holes, Akai comp: 

Temp: 50 degrees 

Humidity: 33%

Elevation: 1488 ft

Cycled perfectly but just a little too hot out of my gun, in my opinion.