Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 9mm Trojan feeding problem

HoosierRoadie

I have a 9mm Trojan I love, but I have a feeding problem when I insert a FULL 10 round mag during a reload from slide stop.  The first bullet will frequently not feed when I hit the slide release.  The round goes to the feed ramp and just stops.  If I give it a bump, it feeds.  If I rack the slide on a full mag, it feeds. I shoot IDPA and I really want to use the slide release.  This happens with Wilson and Dawson mags, long factory loads, short factory loads and my reloads (147 Berrys, 3.0 gr Titegroup, 1.150 OAL)  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I had a similar problem with my wife SA 1911.

I polished the hell out the feed ramp, with a dremel and polishing compound. Seem to go away. Also polished the upper part of the chamber.

You could probably do the same with 1000 or 1500 grit sandpaper.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I had the same problem with my Trojan/Tripp Mags whenever I loaded 10. 9 rounds would work flawlessly.

With a full 10 in those magazines, the first one dips forward right into the feed ramp, especially when the mag springs are new.

I was shooting flat point 147's at that time. I ended up switching to round noses and the problem completely disappeared.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I had to condition my mag springs by leaving them fully loaded for weeks before the first round nose dive disappeared.  Loading shorter in the 1.145" to 1.150" range also helped.  

Lightly polish the top front corner of the magazine where the nose of the bullet would hit it on the way out. There's a little crimp there on the Dawson mags that acts as a tiny helper feed ramp.

Make sure your bullets aren't contacting the inside of the slide stop when you hold it down, plus make sure it's not adding any drag to the slide when you hold it down to release. Stops on the ramp that can be bumped closed are often caused by a little drag somewhere in the cycle.

Shred nailed as usual

also check your extractor tension and the breech face, too Much tension or a rough breech face may slow the round slipping under the extractor hook

check if there is a slight radius on the bottom of the extractor hook, again the aid the round to slip under the hook

You might also look into getting a mag release with a higher shelf. Dawson used to make one, maybe still does. It positions the magazine slightly higher in the frame and allows the bullet to impact higher on the feed ramp. 
YMMV

One test to see where it’s hanging us is to remove the recoil spring and plug, reassemble, then load a mag with dummy rounds and hand cycle them through the gun, it will show you where e round is hanging up

Feeding slowly by hand is going to show more problems than regular cycling. It's annoying as heck when trying to debug 9mm 1911s, but it also illustrates the main issue-- if there's any extra drag or anything slows down the slide, things don't work so well.

Check your slide stop isn't adding drag anywhere when you hold it down as if on a reload because if that's how to make it malf, that's the first place to look.

1.125" is what I run my JHPs at and it works well.

My 9mm Trojan had a similar problem when I first got it. I sent the slide and barrel back to STI, and they recut and polished the feed ramp. ter that, no more problems. Some feed ramps on 9mm barrels are too steep for proper feeding, especially when a full 10 rd mag is inserted. The way the top round sits(stacking) in a ful(10) mag causes the problem.

Are the rounds nose-diving or just hanging up on the ramp? 

Since it sounds like they're just hanging up on the ramp, check the feed lips.  The front of the lips may be a little too narrow to allow the nose of the round to ride up the ramp without pushing down on the rest of the rounds in the magazine.  

43 minutes ago, TimHawkins said:

Hello,

Local builder told me to load to 1.175 for STI and they worked great. Try a few dumbie rounds and hand cycle.

Tim

Seems a little long to fit in a 1911 magazine. Certainly if it was a 2011 gun.

Load up a mag and insert into the gun, press down on a hard service to seat the mag a little more and then rack the gun while still pressing down . If it loads then you should get 

the EGW mag release, it has a higher shelf. I had the same problem and the EGW solved it.

Postal Bob,

My mistake, it was for a 2011 and I wanted to us the same ammo in my 1911 and used 38 super mags [ no spacers]

I have since starting loading to 1.155 and using Tripp mags in my 1911.

Tim

Edited by TimHawkins