Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non-competition fast 9mm advice

Dasa

I am looking at a project gun to get roughly 357 sig type velocity in a cz or tanfoglio format pistol safely without pushing way above design pressure. So from initial thoughts I am looking at either rebarrel a 40sw to 357 sig, the con is that there is a much lower mag capacity in things like steel frame cz’s. I could go based off p09 but prefer steel framed for higher power rounds. Or I could consider a large frame tanfo and consider something like the 9x23 win.

I already have a coned barrel 10mm tanfoglio as well as multiple 9mm cz’s. And other 357 sig pistols, I just shoot the cz/tanfoglio’s better. I could also go 38 super which I don’t have but there seems to be about a 100fps difference in many cases to the sig.

Any experience with 9x23 win in a tanfoglio that would be helpful in guiding me? Or conversely have you tried something similar and wished you simply went 357 sig or 38 super?

no magic, its all about powder capacity.  If you are set on .355 you need either a bottle neck and lose capacity, or go longer and need a bigger frame.  9X23 being tapered I think it has a bit more powder capacity than 38 super. You'll have to look it up. 9 X 23 brass be hard to come up with compared to 38.
There is also the 9X25 dillon , a necked down 10. For that matter you could just load 135 or 140 gr 10mm in the gun you have.

Yeah the brass availability and cost is one reason I am leery of 9x23 win but the stout base makes me like pushing pressure higher on it than some others. If I can get the 38 super that close to the sig (for reference I chronoed some 124gr around 1450fps in another gun that just doesn’t point as naturally for me) it seems more tempting to build something like a super comp with a new slide/barrel on my 10mm lower. I could do the 9x25 Dillion but honestly it’s probably a bit more recoil/blast than I want.

I would definitely go either .38 super or 9x23. You get more magazine capacity than .357 Sig and they are straight wall cases so much more forgiving to load.

With .38 super you can just buy the gun you want and no need to spend extra money with a gunsmith. Load Starline .38SC brass for the best reliability and you should be able to load it very strong. Also factory ammo is very affordable.

9x23 is just a simple reaming of a 9mm barrel. It would be the best option for maximum performance, but you would need to buy pricey brass/ammo.

One option would be to just buy a 9mm barrel for your 10mm Tanfo and have it reamed to 9x23. You can use the money saved to buy brass, dies, etc. Of course this may not be as reliable as having the proper 9mm breechface to start with.

I have thought a lot about a similar project but havent pulled the trigger yet, let us know how it goes! Would be interesting to see some datapoints for velocity, reliability, durability, and accuracy