Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It's Hockey Time!

kimel

I really like that come tomorrow night I will be sitting in my seats at center ice with a cold beer watching our local WHL franchise (okay, local = 70+ miles away) in their home opener. Go Chiefs Go!

While I like NHL hockey (Go Blues! Go Canucks!), there is something refreshing about watching junior hockey. A bunch of kids (16 to 20 year olds) playing for the love of the game and a college education (WHL players are eligible for scholarships once they are finished playing). Oh sure, some go on to the NHL but most do not. They are playing because they love the game. And for the most part they are some of the most wonderful gentlemen you could hope to meet....outside of shooters of course. ;)

I stopped by the ticket office to get my season tickets yesterday and ran into a couple players in the parking lot. They came over and thanked me for being a ticket package holder, asked how long I had been coming to games, etc. They were genuinely interested. I never meet these guys but that I am impressed by how courteous they are, well, off the ice.

In a lot of ways the best thing to happen to junior hockey and minor league hockey in North America was the stupid NHL Strike/Lockout. Attendance went up and now that the NHL is back in action a lot more of the kids will get called up to fill holes that have been left by players that retired en masse at the start of camps because they realized that a year off had not been kind to their bodies.

I just wish there had been hockey where I grew up. I played some football but hockey would have been sooooo much more fun.

my wife and i are huge hockey fans. we're good friends with a bunch of the guys with the Buffalo Sabres. here's a piture of an open gun i built for Buffalo Sabres defenseman Jay McKee #74. he was going to take up shooting in the off season but then the strike occurred last year and his wife had a baby and he hasn't had much time to shoot. home opener is next week in Buffalo, i'll be there. :) .

post-4731-1128112656_thumb.jpg

post-4731-1128112793_thumb.jpg

Edited by BEDELLCUSTOM

I'm right in between the Pgh Pens and Wheeling Nailers (ECHL); love going to games for either. Although I especially can't wait for Super Mario again; hopefully he'll have a relatively injury free year even at age 40. I think the "old man" has a thing or two left to showcase and to show the new kid (Crosby).

A BIG "what I like" topic for me will be if they enforce all of the rule changes and open up the game to the scorers again. Even though it was preseason the old man I mentioned had a goal and 3 assists the other night. Hopefully a sign of things to come across the whole league.

The WHL adopted a lot of those rules and I can't wait to see them in action tomorrow night. Probably going to take a period or two to get used to them but if it opens up scoring then so much the better.

what are all the new rules in the NHL this year?

Here ya go:

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/rules_changes072205.html

Basically they are trying to open up the game to get more scoring. Less clutching and grabbing, two-line passes allowed, goal pads smaller (like they used to be).

Edited by j2fast

Yeah, no touch icing needs to be put in the rules at all levels. Not only cuts down on injuries but also saves a ton of time.

Although with the "no icing for line changes" rule we will probably see a lot less icing this year.

I've had season tickets for five years now. B)

-Chet

Yeah, we've had season tickets in the past, but since moving to Hutto we just try to get to the Saturday games, maybe Friday occassionally. It's tough for us to get home from work and make it back down to the Expo Center by game time. My wife usually plays hockey on Sundays. She's into hockey like I'm into shooting. B)

tonya_stanleycup2_tn.jpg

Well, the game last night was great. We won 4 - 1. The only goal they scored was on a 5 - 3 power play.

Got to see most of the new rules enforced although there still seems to be this unwritten "only one hooking call per team per game" rule in the WHL. Haven't figured that one out yet.

Looks like the players are having a lot of fun adapting as well. Looks like some coaches are spending practice time working on the new rules and some aren't. Our opponents last night fit into the latter category.