Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas chaos issues

Bwillis

Atlas Chaos shoots 2”high and right at 20 yards on hand racked rounds and then poa poi on rounds cycles thru recoil what could be the culprit?

My ammo shoots great in my backup gun, ive had another person shoot my gun and produce the same issue with his ammo and my ammo.  

I sent my gun to atlas for the tune up package 11-13-19, was told 12-19-19 that it was finished received it  today 1-3-20 untouched and in the same condition I sent it to them, no oil, no loctite and loose screws also witness marks I put on my springs before I sent the gun off were still there. (Cleaned it before I sent it to them) 

Edited by Bwillis

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There’s probably lots of questions that people smarter than me might ask you...
Just related to my experience with a chaos: is your comp loose at all? Misaligned? I’ve heard stories like this for both rifle and pistol that your bullets could be slightly grazing the comp on their way out.

If both your ammo and your buddies ammo have the same accuracy results, it sounds like something to do with the barrel.

My personal chaos had the set screw back out of the comp. it’ll loosen up after a few thousand rounds before I’ll re-loctite it again. Even loose, my bullets don’t touch the comp and I’m still accurate. I was told to send it back and they would weld it to my barrel but I hadn’t had a chance.

Goodluck

23 minutes ago, bigbob21 said:

There’s probably lots of questions that people smarter than me might ask you...
Just related to my experience with a chaos: is your comp loose at all? Misaligned? I’ve heard stories like this for both rifle and pistol that your bullets could be slightly grazing the comp on their way out.

If both your ammo and your buddies ammo have the same accuracy results, it sounds like something to do with the barrel.

My personal chaos had the set screw back out of the comp. it’ll loosen up after a few thousand rounds before I’ll re-loctite it again. Even loose, my bullets don’t touch the comp and I’m still accurate. I was told to send it back and they would weld it to my barrel but I hadn’t had a chance.

Goodluck

atlas pinned the comp in 2018 and I just checked the comp isn’t loose and it’s in alignment. By chance how many coils is your recoil spring? And do you use the wilson shock-buff?

Thank you for the help

I’ve changed my spring a couple times... through testing and as Adam says, find what poundage runs in your gun and stick with it. I do use the blue shockbuff. Just because the package says 8lbs doesn’t mean it’s 8.0lbs.

I only cut coils if there’s excess coil bind when you push the whole recoil system through manually. The gun is not supposed to bottom out on a bunch of springs. It’s usually only a couple that I need to cut off if any.

Mine will run at around 7.5-8lbs any less and it won’t feed right, any more and it’ll dip down on closing. I feel like the recoil/gun is softer/flatter at around 6.5lbs of spring but I can’t trust it :(
The spring weight shouldn’t affect the accuracy tho, especially with 1 shot at a time?

Atlas Chaos shoots 2”high and right at 20 yards on hand racked rounds and then poa poi on rounds cycles thru recoil what could be the culprit?

My ammo shoots great in my backup gun, ive had another shooter shot my gun and produce the same issue with his ammo and my ammo.  

I sent my gun to atlas for the tune up package 11-13-19, was told 12-19-19 that it was finished received it  today 1-3-20 untouched and in the same condition I sent it to them, no oil, no loctite and loose screws also witness marks I put on my springs before I sent the gun off were still there. (Cleaned it before I sent it to them) 
Trash tune up service

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bigbob21 said:

I’ve changed my spring a couple times... through testing and as Adam says, find what poundage runs in your gun and stick with it. I do use the blue shockbuff. Just because the package says 8lbs doesn’t mean it’s 8.0lbs.

I only cut coils if there’s excess coil bind when you push the whole recoil system through manually. The gun is not supposed to bottom out on a bunch of springs. It’s usually only a couple that I need to cut off if any.

Mine will run at around 7.5-8lbs any less and it won’t feed right, any more and it’ll dip down on closing. I feel like the recoil/gun is softer/flatter at around 6.5lbs of spring but I can’t trust it :(
The spring weight shouldn’t affect the accuracy tho, especially with 1 shot at a time?

the accuracy problem is only on hand racked rounds,  my thought maybe I cut to many coils and it doesn’t have enough ummph to lock all the way up.  

1 hour ago, Bwillis said:

Aside from shipping, did you pay for this "tune up"? 

8 minutes ago, echotango said:

Aside from shipping, did you pay for this "tune up"? 

Yes $250 shipping is included both ways, I called atlas today when I received my gun back and noticed it was just like I sent it. Adam only offered to talk to his gunsmith Monday as he had left early today. 

Edited by Bwillis

Gun isn’t fully locking up when you hand cycle the rounds. Next Range trip try slamming the slide home when loading it. There are quite a few other threads about this exact “phenomenon”, provided that is what you are referring to.

1 hour ago, lacivilian said:

Gun isn’t fully locking up when you hand cycle the rounds. Next Range trip try slamming the slide home when loading it. There are quite a few other threads about this exact “phenomenon”, provided that is what you are referring to.

THIS! 

2 hours ago, lacivilian said:

I tried that when I first noticed the issue. I would rack the slide as hard and fast as I could and push forward once the slide was at rest to no avail. I also tried the magazines with varying rounds counts thinking maybe a full magazine was slowing the slide down.

27 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

Any chance the barrel link is stretched?

I don’t see either hole with oval  or abnormal shapes. 

10 minutes ago, Bwillis said:

I tried that when I first noticed the issue. I would rack the slide as hard and fast as I could and push forward once the slide was at rest to no avail. I also tried the magazines with varying rounds counts thinking maybe a full magazine was slowing the slide down.

We’re you pushing the slide forward as hard as you can? You should be able to fix the issue by not releasing the slide once you pull it back. Hold the racker and slam it forward. If that doesn’t fix it I have no other advice. That’s worked for pretty much everyone with the same symptoms.

1 hour ago, lacivilian said:

We’re you pushing the slide forward as hard as you can? You should be able to fix the issue by not releasing the slide once you pull it back. Hold the racker and slam it forward. If that doesn’t fix it I have no other advice. That’s worked for pretty much everyone with the same symptoms.

Yes, I was pushing the slide as hard as I can. I’ll go to the range Sunday and try the method of slamming it home vs slingshot and push. 

I'm not an Atlas fan boy so take this for what it's worth.

Ask them to do the work they said they would, first of all.Since they didn't do it to begin with

and they should pay shipping both ways again since they didn't do it to begin with.

Or

Ask them for your money back and send it to some one else who will actually do the work and check the pistol out.

Usually it is a lock up problem if the gun doesn't shoot the first round in the same group as the rest of them

Always give the vendor an opportunity to make it right.

They get a lot of good reviews here so hopefully it was just a holiday miss que!