Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Only getting 22 reloadable with TTI extensions

BryceA

I picked up some TTI +5/6 glock extensions on black friday and have recently started trying them out. I can fit 23 9mm into the mag and slam that thing into the well with a closed slide, but only stout loads will cycle the slide with 23 in the tube, and not reliably. Is this the normal experience? Perhaps I just haven't been patient enough breaking them in? If it makes any difference, I put them on gen5 mags, though the infallible internet suggests they are the same as the gen4 other than the color and base plate lip.

6 hours ago, BryceA said:

I picked up some TTI +5/6 glock extensions on black friday and have recently started trying them out. I can fit 23 9mm into the mag and slam that thing into the well with a closed slide, but only stout loads will cycle the slide with 23 in the tube, and not reliably. Is this the normal experience? Perhaps I just haven't been patient enough breaking them in? If it makes any difference, I put them on gen5 mags, though the infallible internet suggests they are the same as the gen4 other than the color and base plate lip.

I recall that issue.   I think you need to round the edge of the follower so it can slide past the edge of the base pad.  I Can't remember which end though.

Leave them loaded for a few days to break springs in. If still can't get 23 reloadable try swapping the extension onto a different mag tube. I've found just using a different tube will make a difference in whether that last round will fit or not.

And yes Gen 5 mag tubes are same as Gen 4, just follower color and baseplate are different on Gen 5 mags. However Glock mags are constantly going through small changes by Glock, so make sure your mags fit a gauge. The TTI extensions I have only fit a gauge with older mag tubes, too long with newer ones.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 10:51 AM, tha1000 said:

Agree with above, 23+1 to start, reload to 22.

Same here. If you are having problems with the gun cycling with 23 + 1 maybe take a look at your recoil spring. I use an ISMI 11lb recoil spring and haven't had any issues. I believe Ive also used a 13lb spring with no problems. 

53 minutes ago, rootacres said:

Same here. If you are having problems with the gun cycling with 23 + 1 maybe take a look at your recoil spring. I use an ISMI 11lb recoil spring and haven't had any issues. I believe Ive also used a 13lb spring with no problems. 

bump up the power factor a bit until the springs break in.

23+1 can be problematic in 141mm 9mm magazines in some striker fired guns.  When you look at the bottom of the slide, the center rib of the Glock has a ramped portion near the breechface.  When the slide moves rearward, the ramp further compresses the rounds into the magazine.  So even if you can get them in with the slide closed, the extra resistance can rob your slide of so much velocity that it doesn't travel fully to the rear.  So even though it travels far enough to pick up the next round, there isn't enough delay to allow the stack of rounds to get pushed up tight against the feed lips since the slide is immediately coming forward.  The result is often a "nosedive".  I found this out when I could run 23+1 in a P09 but not in a P10F.    Hammer-fired guns don't typically have the ramp on their center rib.  The ramp could be there to use the mag spring and top round tension to reduce the rearward slide velocity since striker guns don't have a hammer to provide resistance during the initial unlocking of the slide.   But the problem with that theory is that the last few rounds of the mag don't provide significant tension to delay the slide, especially the last round where it's just the follower.  Plus, not all striker fired guns have the ramp.  M&Ps and XDs for instance have a flat center rib.

On 1/28/2020 at 8:02 AM, tha1000 said:

bump up the power factor a bit until the springs break in.

That's doable, but a second problem is that the mags are really hard to get locked in with 23 and the slide forward which is not a probem I want to deal with at a match. I'm letting the mags sit with 23 for a while so hopefully the springs will loosen up some.

I have the same issues with my Gen 3 mags. They simply would not work over 30% of the time with my minor PF 147’s when loaded to 23+1. I started loading a factory 115 in the barrel followed with my 147’s and now it works fine at the start.

Also, my TTI springs quit locking the slide back on 3 of my mags after just a few thousand rounds. I just bought ISMI 140mm springs to see how they work. I’ve installed them but haven’t shot with them yet. My followers would clearly be bellow the top of the mag with the TTI springs.