Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Goals for 2020

Dontkillbill

I turn 53 this year and want to achieve a few things .  2020 was a good year my shooting improved and I lost almost 70 pounds.    Goals can trump resolutions if you have a plan in place to reach those goals with bench marks.  

I want to add to my deadlift.  For my size I am under powdered at this movement so that will be a focus.  Mind you I just started doing deadlifts a few months ago but I want to go from 225 for 3 reps to 315 for 2-3 reps.   How?   Once a week do deadlifts occasionally do more often so I am doing them 5-6 times a month.    Support muscles with kettle bells and core work.   Going to work lighter weights for the first 2 months and build a stronger base then work up....275 by june would be nice.    Also working on my squats once a week will support this goal. I will do front, overhead and back squats but go on the lighter side to support my joints.

Drop another 30 pounds by 2021 and drop 16 by march I will be 220 for my 53rd.   Gained 4 pounds eating and drinking this Christmas/ New year hopefully mostly water due to the higher carb intake.  

Continue the diet with a bit more protein and add carbs before hard work outs such as CrossFit or leg days. After I break 220 I will switch to a more paleo diet than keto.  I will add complex carbs to my diet but stay off the sugar and most processed foods.   2700-2800 calories a day seems to take a pound off a week so I will try that and see if it holds and adjust as needed.  

More running.    8 minute mile  yeah that a long time but doing that and working on agility and weight loss should make me more nimble around the stages not to mention help the heath out a bit.   I plan on doing the 3:45 minute 800 meters by June.  We have a service match with 3 100 yard runs between stages so that should help me with keeping the heart rate lower and improve my rifle shooting.   Not much of a goal for some but for me it will be a part of the formula.  I will run distance once a week and short burst another.  On the short days I will continue with the agility ladder.   Not sure I want more than a mile but we'll see. 

CrossFit etc... I started CrossFit in December and I will do it twice a week.  I have a boxing workout that I really enjoy and it burns calories so that stays.   CrossFit goals.  Pull ups. Do 3 for my birthday.  Working on bands now.  Once I can do my first three I am going to learn to climb that damn rope.  Again drop a few more pounds and working on various support exercise.   This will help with recoil management and the pull ups and dead lifts help with grip.  

Shooting.  I set up a dry fire wall at the house that's easy to use so I should be able to knock out 15 minutes a few times a week.  Working on reloads, transitions, draw, strong and week hand.   Might add movement later but just these drills should help.  I also added a bullseye target scaled to 25 yards for deliberate shooting and a B27 for PPC.    Best decorated wall in the basement :) Might take the extra tv and set it up with the Youtube dry fire videos for steel challenge.   Oh what is the goal?  Shoot faster and suck less.   Last year I improved a lot and I hope to keep the improvement up and make some of the young guys work harder at beating us Sr shooters.   Bench marks....  PPC matches  we run a shortened match out of 900 points and I can manage 865-873 averaging 869 so if I can see that up to 875 that will show that improvement. In IPSC   it won't be too hard to judge based on people I know who are top shooters.  If I can close my percentages on a them I will be happy.   Transitions from target to target and moving from array to array are where I can improve the most.  I hate video taping myself but I will. 

Thanks for the venue to air these suckers out.  Tonight is a lifting class so one small step.   I will  get a little dry fire in tonight and make some ammo for the weekend.   Going to set up 3 short stages at the range this weekend after the PPC match.   Work on calling shots and quick transitions and making sure the gun is in position when I can see the targets.  

Fudge that's a lot oh well you know how to eat an elephant ?  One bite at a time.   

Any goals you'd like to share?

Lose another 30lbs, I lost 60 in 2019. 

Compete and finish my first USPSA match, would like to shoot half a dozen before year's end. 

Continue purchasing necessary gear to compete in 3 gun. 

Continue training in all forms of shooting sports and defensive carry. 

Lose another 30lbs, I lost 60 in 2019. 

Compete and finish my first USPSA match, would like to shoot half a dozen before year's end. 

Continue purchasing necessary gear to compete in 3 gun. 

Continue training in all forms of shooting sports and defensive carry. 

Awesome Kyle.  I may loose my 3 gun rifle to politics up here in Canada.    I may have to buy one down in the states and have a friend mind it for me :(  I have little control over that so if it does happen I will ensure two gun is a thing here and host a match.     We have similar weight goals what have you been doing to loose 60?   

One of my goals for this year is to get my 10 year old shooting steel challenge. He is interested and wants to go. I've got him practicing his aim with a SIRT pistol right now. Will have him shooting on the simulator in the theater room soon for target acquisition

Once I get him wanting to shoot, it will be easier to get out of the house.....

Also hope to lose 25 pounds or so. Already lost about 15.

I just switched from PCC to CO for 2020. Goal is to be on the top of C class and move on to B

Lost a whole lot of pistol skills when I ran PCC for 2 years. My goal is to at least dry fire 3 times a week, at least 15 mins.

Ride (bicycle) at least 20 miles a week, mixed road/gravel 

Lose 20 lbs, be sub #200 again, that would be really sweet.

We all seem to want to loose a few pounds for the new year. Over the course of last year I put on 22lbs. My goal is to Drop that by summer of this year. My lifting schedule needs to be more consistant and I want to add in some HIIT or cardio training on a regular basis.

Uspsa goals are simple, Get back to a regular dry fire routine of 3-5 days. Get my ass out of B-class, and finally start some live fire training( not just going to the range 1x  month and shooting) other then Matches. I plan on shooting 3-4 area/sectionals this year and really want to be prepared for it. I also want to pick up a backup shadow2 so I dont have to worry as much.

Keep at it everyone and Lets make it our best year yet

Yeah the poundage is an issue but everyone here is in the fight.  Wish I didn't take 9-10 years off.   How is everyone doing it?    I am working out but diet is the most important part.  Using Myfitness app for tracking calories and doing low carbs. Definitely not Keto anymore as I eat a lot of protein.  Definitely not carnivore because I eat veggies just low carb.  I have some carbs before my workouts.  No sugar and the only processed food I eat is sausages.    2500-2700 calories a day.   Broke down yesterday and had 3000 but I did a big leg workout the day before.   exercise can be bad for my appetite. 

Been doing some dry fire and set up a stage 2 weeks ago at the range.   I was ROUGH.  Way too deliberate and slow.... Forgot to call shots the first stage and I was not smooth at all.   If the weather is fitting I will set up a wall at the range and run a short back and forth. 

Carbs aren't the enemy.  Sh*tty over processed food is.

Oddly I get on track diet wise when I'm working out, I'm either all in or meh f*** it, where's the m&m's!

My basic must have's in my diet are:

Whey protein

Fish oil

Kale

Berries (rasp, blue, black mostly)

Beef and chicken

veggies.

I'll eat a granola bar for dessert after dinner or if I'm leaning out an apple around 9pm.  I never had a huge appetite which limited my muscle gains when I was lifting heavy in my 20's but I got plenty big enough looking back.  But one was never big enough back then.  Now in my mid 40's I train for strength and I'm 30lbs less muscle than my peak at 27. I figured I'd rather be lean all the time so I've lost a lot over the years but then I got into shooting and it turns out I'm built perfectly for the sport.  

Feels like I bit off more than I can chew!   Dead lifts, squats and crossfit are a lot to fit into a week with a few other workouts.   I find I need two days off a week so I can function.  Tomorrow is agility days and a bit of running on the tread mill for bursts.   CrossFit might need a  break if I continue with my routine.  Replace it with boxing and stretching with very light cardio (active rest).   I hate to give it up but I might have to for a few months and start back in Spring.  I want to beable to climb than damn rope! 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...