Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Colt Pythons for $1,500

Tampa-XD45

Who's gonna be the 1st benos revo shooter to buy one for ICORE?   I only shot Colt revos for fun so I've never had to do a quick reload using the pull type of cylinder release.  I'm sure some of you guys

have competed with Colts.

https://www.colt.com/series/python_series

http://soldiersystems.net/2020/01/01/still-making-history-colt-releases-updated-python/

1 hour ago, MikeyScuba said:

I’m pretty late to the revo and gun scene in general.   But from what I’ve read about Pythons and the workmanship involved I don’t see this as a worthy successor-given it’s price.

or am I wrong?

It's a classic gun argument: "the old guns have an incredible amount of old school workmanship... they don't make 'em like they used to." VS "modern advances in metallurgy and machining allow guns to be made to such a high quality that is near impossible to do by hand". But I'd agree, that's why people want Pythons, they're handmade masterpieces. And Rick Grimes has one.

I think the best part of this new Colt release is that the market for old "classic" pythons should become more reasonable. 

From everything I've heard the Python was a beautiful piece but very tempermental.  Seems they ran out of time, due to the design, easily or quickly.

So great to own & handle but not one to shoot a lot.

But I only had a Colt MK III Trooper in the 1970's and I did like it but couldn't afford to shoot it much.  One of those many I let go?

I've shot my father-in-law's Python and its a very nice pistol. Great trigger.

His biggest complaint is the barrel leads up very quickly, which I think it may be more an issue of the lead he uses for reloads than an actual issue with the gun.

...But I only had a Colt MK III Trooper in the 1970's and I did like it but couldn't afford to shoot it much.  One of those many I let go?

I'm sure this new "Python" uses the same style lock work as the Trooper. The factory doesn't have anyone that can work on the original Python any more.

But hey, they tested a single gun to "40,000 trigger pulls." No one will ever shoot a revolver that much right?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I had 4 Pythons, 2 Troopers and a Detective Special back when they were making them. The factory action was better than a Smith out of the box. Not nearly as good as a tuned Smith. The Pythons didn't hold up to a lot of use and were finicky to work on. Parts were hard to get and expensive back then, more so now. I was shooting around 30,000 38s and about 3000 357s a season in the late 70's, to early 90's. A Python wouldn't stay working for one season, a Smith would go for 2 or 3 in a row. The Troopers had a heavy, clunky action. I don't know what they are like now.

I'll take a 686 or other Smith over a Python any day for shooting. You can get 4 of them for the price of one old time Python. The Colt is nicer to look at, though.

I love my Python, my dad bought it for me in 62. When my brother worked fo San Jose pd they had a fun match that I shot. I bought 1,000 rounds of .38 wad Cuttersi in preparation. The night before the match when I got to his home he gave me model 19 and told to try it of course it had a trigger Job and that’s the gun I used. I think that the Python is great for someone who isn’t going to compete but the Smiths are betr for competition. I killed a lot of squirrels and scared a lot more with that gun. 

23 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I had 4 Pythons, 2 Troopers and a Detective Special back when they were making them. The factory action was better than a Smith out of the box. Not nearly as good as a tuned Smith. The Pythons didn't hold up to a lot of use and were finicky to work on. Parts were hard to get and expensive back then, more so now. I was shooting around 30,000 38s and about 3000 357s a season in the late 70's, to early 90's. A Python wouldn't stay working for one season, a Smith would go for 2 or 3 in a row. The Troopers had a heavy, clunky action. I don't know what they are like now.

I'll take a 686 or other Smith over a Python any day for shooting. You can get 4 of them for the price of one old time Python. The Colt is nicer to look at, though.

Right on the money. I've handled and shot dozens of Pythons. Even owned some over the years. For $1500, you could get a 686, have it tuned, buy ammo, and be ready to go.

The 50's and 60's Pythons are real purty, though. Colt stole the wide-spur hammer and the sight rib from King Gunworks.

5 hours ago, Prange said:

Right on the money. I've handled and shot dozens of Pythons. Even owned some over the years. For $1500, you could get a 686, have it tuned, buy ammo, and be ready to go.

The 50's and 60's Pythons are real purty, though. Colt stole the wide-spur hammer and the sight rib from King Gunworks.

That Colt Royal Blue was beyond compare wasn't it.

18 minutes ago, EEH said:

So how many of you going to rush out to buy one ?

-1 (not me) or is it +1 in stock?

I very much doubt if the fit and finish are anything like the original.  And not being in the beautiful Royal Blue, nah almost seems sacreligous in Stainless Steel.  But that's just my opinion.  But then I just can't convince myself, or afford either, to buy guns just 'cause they look good.  All of mine are bought to use in competition, EDC or hunting.  And they get used in that order so the numbers bought are also in that order.

Edited by pskys2

• 2 weeks later...

I handled one today at Shot. I only own Smiths and well, I do ok with them. 

I am shocked at the out of the box quality of the gun. Fit and finish were good, the trigger felt good, the gun in both 4” and 6” balanced nicely. Felt like a 686 if you didn’t look at it. Price aside, the gun is completely something that would be a strong competitor to a 686 if quality is something a person valued. 

If Colt built one with 8 holes, the only thing keeping the gun from being competitive would be the cylinder release. I’m going to try to get ahold of a couple Pythons and put some rounds through them at speed. 

16 minutes ago, MWP said:

I handled one today at Shot. I only own Smiths and well, I do ok with them. 

I am shocked at the out of the box quality of the gun. Fit and finish were good, the trigger felt good, the gun in both 4” and 6” balanced nicely. Felt like a 686 if you didn’t look at it. Price aside, the gun is completely something that would be a strong competitor to a 686 if quality is something a person valued. 

If Colt built one with 8 holes, the only thing keeping the gun from being competitive would be the cylinder release. I’m going to try to get ahold of a couple Pythons and put some rounds through them at speed. 

Shocked in a good way I am guessing?