Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ever been to the World Speed Shooting Championship

jrdoran

I've never been, but it is on my bucketlist, maybe this year.

I don't know the author, but a great 2019 writeup here:   http://thrumylens.org/featured/my-experience-at-the-2019-world-speed-shooting-championship/

If any of you have been, I'm interested in your experience.   Wouldn't be a cheap match coupled with Holiday w/e plane travel for me, but as I get older, it is all about the experience of the hobby. 

I was able to go in 2018 , it was a bucket list thing for me too:-) my grandmother lives in Columbus Georgia so I was able to visit her and travel to Talladega for worlds. I was able to shoot with friends which it turns out won high lady in rfpi !!! Travel from Alaska is costly so I try to do more than just the match . So yes it something I am glade I did it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just sign up and go.  You'll get to see the best steel shooters in the world and make new friends.  Once the buzzer goes off it's just another match shooting the same stages that you've shot

elsewhere.  CMP is a very professional facility with more than 500 acres IIRC.

The writeup is a pretty accurate description of the match.  Alabama is hot as hell in the summer ... no way around it.  Once you're in town, go to the store and get tons of Gatorade & snacks.

I shot morning & afternoon on consecutive days which in hindsight was probably a mistake.  Depending on how many guns you're shooting, you may want to shoot in the morning and hit the practice bays in the morning before it gets too hot.  

I drove to Steel Nationals in Georgia and flew to the WSSC in Alabama.

• 4 weeks later...

Registration is off and running.  I'm excited to be going.

Unclear if you can shoot 2 guns or not in the same squad, also I see some names registered in different squads for the same day/time.  Makes no sense, but I'm sure it will clean up as time goes on.   $100 a gun weeds out those who aren't serious.  

16 hours ago, jrdoran said:

Unclear if you can shoot 2 guns or not in the same squad, also I see some names registered in different squads for the same day/time.  Makes no sense, but I'm sure it will clean up as time goes on.   $100 a gun weeds out those who aren't serious.  

We are at over 650 guns entered. You can squad two guns per flight. You are prohibited, by rule, from shooting back to back though.

And for those of you who are not aware - Mr. Zack Jones (who I had the pleasure of meeting and watching shoot at this event last year) plays a MAJOR role in this match...Zack wears to many hats for me to come close to defining and he is never to busy to help a young shooter I know, who are fairly new to this event, get squadded and set up (Alexis said you are the best and sends her thanks - again).....

Zack Jones - Thank you for who you are, what you represent, and the hours and hours of extra work you put in to make this event and this shooting discipline successful for USPSA...I will be stopping by again this year when you are between courses to shake your hand again and say hello.... Mark Dillon

Looking forward to the event.  Amazing amount of work by Zach and others.  

I know this is a long shot, but figured I'd ask ( Zach is already aware and keeping an eye out if someone withdraws ) ;  

I'm in squad 37 ( Thursday PM );    As I am traveling with others from CT, I need to move to either Friday PM, Sat AM, Sat PM, Sun AM  squad slot. 

If anyone is willing to swap a slot with me I would be very grateful and happy to make it worth your while with some cash or ammo sweetener.   

Anyone have good food recommendations near CMP ?    Looks like a few BBQ places.    

Do they have food at the event ?  Should we hit subway in the morning on the way each day ?   

Anyone have good food recommendations near CMP ?    Looks like a few BBQ places.    

Do they have food at the event ?  Should we hit subway in the morning on the way each day ?   

There are plenty of places to eat. It all depends on what you are hungry for. As far as food during the match there will be food available for you to buy. Usually it’s sandwiches or pizza.

6 hours ago, jrdoran said:

Interesting breakdown of the divisions for the world speed shooting.      Rifle  ( PCC + RF ) definitely the dominating platform. 

image.thumb.png.6cb9d43f57641402297479c8af74a7d6.png

that makes sense because there are so few rifle divisions, whereas the centerfire pistol divisions are very fragmented. I'm only shooting pistol divisions myself, because i'm not a 10 yr old and also not a chick.  ;)  (my much younger wife is shooting pcc and rfro in addition to rfpo)

31 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I'm only shooting pistol divisions myself, because i'm not a 10 yr old and also not a chick.  ;)  (my much younger wife is shooting pcc and rfro in addition to rfpo)

I just spit my water all over the couch !!    Luv it !

1 hour ago, ZackJones said:

As far as food during the match there will be food available for you to buy. Usually it’s sandwiches or pizza.

Thanks Zach !   

On 2/18/2020 at 3:50 PM, jrdoran said:

I ate at Rana's Mexican Restaurant which was decent.

• 5 months later...

As we are approaching August and the COVID situation is dynamic any updates or PoV on if the event is gonna go off at CMP on schedule ?   Trying to make work / travel plans.   I'm sure the logistics from Zach's end are hell trying to manage all of the moving parts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 9:56 PM, jrdoran said:

As we are approaching August and the COVID situation is dynamic any updates or PoV on if the event is gonna go off at CMP on schedule ?   Trying to make work / travel plans.   I'm sure the logistics from Zach's end are hell trying to manage all of the moving parts.

same here, also wondering about prize table/awards, etc.... We shoot thur/fri, but mrs moto has a chance of doing well in the match, so trying to figure out if we should hang around.