Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP gmr13 buffer questions

I am trying to find the perfect setup but I need help understanding the weight set up. With more weight it will slow my bolt but more weight means slamming it back forward I would think. So which consideration should I pay most attention to?

My ammo is 140pf from a 124grn. I can go lighter but I like the balance that ammo gives me for reliability and not worrying about being so close to steel calibration. I have the short stroke kit so I have tried 1T and 4S and then last weekend ran 2T and 3S. I still felt a fair amount of recoil so I was going to consider adding more tungsten. 

So do you guys think more weight creates a softer feeling recoil or do you think more weight moving bolt back forward creates more felt recoil?

If you're talking about for competition I think dot bounce is more important than recoil. From all my reading it seems to me that most folks conclude that the lighter the PF of your ammo the lighter you can go with buffer resistance. stouter ammo requires more resistance.

I shoot about the same as you and I have 5 steel and it works fine. I have been curious what 4S and 1T would feel like, but it hasn't been wort the trouble to change out.

I don't even notice recoil, only how much the dot bounces off target with each shot.

1 hour ago, egd5 said:

If you're talking about for competition I think dot bounce is more important than recoil. From all my reading it seems to me that most folks conclude that the lighter the PF of your ammo the lighter you can go with buffer resistance. stouter ammo requires more resistance.

I shoot about the same as you and I have 5 steel and it works fine. I have been curious what 4S and 1T would feel like, but it hasn't been wort the trouble to change out.

I don't even notice recoil, only how much the dot bounces off target with each shot.

Yes for USPSA.

So if you are about the same as me for 140pf and run 5S you say you get less dot movement. I guess when I say recoil I am referring more to being able to double tap an A zone faster because there is less dot movement. I went heavier on the JP buffer but I still have dot bounce and I have to delay shots. I was thinking of going heavier not lighter. 

A friend did have 147grn ammo, but I am not sure what PF, I shot some though my gun and it cut felt recoil down a lot. I have always ran 124grn and just stayed with that so it is possible to drop my charge and reduce PF. I just figured I would rather have a much better chance on steel going down than being on that edge going to 130pf. So this leaves me with finding the right buffer combo. 

I keep looking at the blitz buffer but JP advises against it. They seem to know their s#!t which is why I bought a JP to begin with so I am not wanting to go outside their advice. 

I agree about staying with JP. Between buffer weights, springs, and ammo PF there seems to be an almost infinite number of combinations. At some point one has to just pick something and stay with it i think. Although there's always that nagging "what if". AAARRGH!

My main focus is uspsa also. The limiting factor in my double taps is me, not the gun, BUT, I still want the capability to be there. I'm happy with mine, but you don't know what you don't know. So unless someone puts a better combo in my hands and I can tell the difference, I'll just stay with it.

As for the heavier weight causing the bolt to slam back and cause more dot bounce, I believe that would occur more with a heavier spring than just added weights. I would think the heavier weights would have more of an effect on slowing the bolt's backward movement rather than letting the bolt come forward faster. But, IDK...

One more thing about dot bounce. When I can remember to keep the rifle pulled tight to my shoulder that does more to reduce dot bounce than anything else. I'm working on making it a habit, but it's not 100% yet.

21 minutes ago, brian45acp said:

Just FYI I went to 4T and 1S this weekend and loved the combo the most. I didn't change my ammo at all but noticed a lot less recoil so I am going to leave well enough alone for now. 

Nice run. I have 2 T and 3 Steel know. Tried 5T calmed things down but felt slow. Will try 4T 1 S soon.