Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P09 chewing up the holster

Bench

Any one else having an issue with the forward slide serrations chewing up your kydex holster? I have the equipment to make my own holsters and have made 3 already and there have been no issues with my process. I made this one a bit tighter than others I've made and noticed the "chewing" so I loosened it up a bit (the body of the holster, not the retention on the trigger guard). Issue still continued. Running my finger along the forward slide serrations it does feel sharper than on my other pistols too. Unless there are any other suggestions from the group think here I see the only solution being GENTLY rounding the upper serration corners. I need to find a solution to this issue since I don't know how well tiny bit of kydex work as a slide lube.

Edited by Bench

10 hours ago, MarilynMonbro said:

Some IWB holsters I've bought have done the same but it never caused issues. I think it eventually stopped 

Thanks, I've worked the slide a bit and it seems to have calmed it down some.

My holster is double layered and the inside kydex is red. I notice the same with it chewing up a bit of the red after a session of dry firing. I haven't noticed any negative effects after a few months of it.

18 minutes ago, lroy said:

My holster is double layered and the inside kydex is red. I notice the same with it chewing up a bit of the red after a session of dry firing. I haven't noticed any negative effects after a few months of it.

Dry fire time is when I notice it the most. At a match this weekend there was negligible 'chewing' so I'll wait to see what happens over the next month and then go heavier with a file/sandpaper to smooth out the sharp edges if needed. Thanks!

Edited by Bench

1 hour ago, lroy said:

Kind of like breaking in leather?

Not an unlikely consideration. Just a bit disconcerting with all the bits in the slide. Not necessarily one would consider an appropriate slide lube🤣.