Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge--Ready to Race: Ruger v. TacSol v. Bergara BXR v. TC v. Other....

funkymonkey1111

All,

Looking to set up a 10/22 for Steel Challenge.  Wondering if users here have any experience comparing the Ruger Competition, the TacSol X-Ring, and the new Bergara BXR Carbon Fiber.  

I can't find a Bergara anywhere--but the weight and cost are great features.  

I've got a couple of 10/22s--i could also just hot rod one of those, too.

Weigh in if you're in the know

This will be a Ford vs Chevrolet post. I have 3 X Rings and several Rugers. All can be made to run. You might want to take a look at the Magnum Research Switchbolt too. It can be custom ordered with many of the more desirable parts that are commonly added to SC rifles.  

I agree with nso123 . With my 4th xring on the way I’m biased . I have a few Rugers as well. Your going to get opinions all over the map. I never had any issues with my xrings and their customer service is top notch . If you went the TacSol route you definitely wouldn’t be disappointed .

Having just gone through this process myself, I may be able to help.  The key to SCSA is transition speed and reaction time.  All of the rifles you mention are heavy and have a lot of weight hanging out front.  I took a serious look at the MR Switchbolt, with their not publicized light stock and carbon fiber barrel.  I decided the only way to get what I wanted was to assemble on myself.  So that is what I did.

I went with a Tactical Innovations Elite Left Charging receiver with black nitrided match bolt.  https://www.tacticalinc.com/catalog/product/id-6743

Kidd Single stage trigger.  https://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Single-Stage-Trigger-Unit-Drop-In_p_29.html

Wiland USA LLW 11 oz. barrel  http://wilandusa.com/10-22-llw-barrel-22lr-sporter-chamber-6875-precision-slip-fit-tenon-diameter/

Blackhawk Axiom stock. https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/rifle-stocks/ruger-10-22-axiom-r-f-stock-lightweight-prod55621.aspx

The finished rifle weighs 3 lb. 5.5 oz. and transitions like lightning.  Aside from the light weight, the key is the Wiland LLW barrel.  Although it only weighs 11 oz. all of the weight is between your hands.  The rifled barrel is only 5.5" long.  The rest is a lightweight steel shroud to get it to 16.1".  Mine is 3 lb. 11oz. with the sight I have on it.  Everyone who tries it loves it, including a shooting buddy who is now dissatisfied with his Ruger Competition.  I let him shoot it on Roundabout and he was a full second faster with my gun.

Weight matters.  I have to put a different stock on it to shoot in NJ.  The extra 1.5 lbs. make a difference, and my transitions are a touch slower than with the lighter stock.  Some of that may be I don't shoot the heavier stock nearly as often, but I still think it is the weight.  Good luck with your search.

BTW, read the Lightest 10/22 barrel thread lower down in this forum.  Lots of good, useful info.

Edited by zzt

On 1/6/2020 at 2:11 PM, Thomas H said:

If you already have a couple of 10/22.....get an Axiom stock, put in a Kidd trigger, and buy a light barrel from somewhere.  You might find that's really all you need to do.

This is exactly what I did.  One for RFRO and one for RFRI.

Lots of good trigger choices out there ... and don't overlook the Ruger BX trigger which is a great value.

https://www.gunmann.com/ruger-1022-triggers/

We shoot the Ruger Custom Shop and Ruger Target Lite. Other than some polishing and swapping out the charging handles to Kidds they run great. Very happy with both. Really like the target lite for weight and price. Custom shop came with a BX trigger & I put one in the Target Lite.

gerritm

• 4 weeks later...
I’m in the same boat as some of you guys. I’ve been looking at the Magnum research switch bolt and the new smith and Wesson performance center T/CR 22 just released at the 2020 shot show

How heavy is the performance center ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Frozen said:

How heavy is the performance center ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure the website doesn’t clearly say but it says 4.9 so I take that as 4lb 9oz and that’s for the one with the thumb hole laminated stock. I believe the hogue overmold stock is lighter. 

Edited by Superpipe9

• 2 weeks later...

The Hogue over molded stock is lighter. I switched to the Hogue on my Target Lite.  I do miss the Extra control I feel like I had with the thumbhole bit I am no professional and I like the “tackiness” of the Hogue... Do not quote me on the exact reduction but I think it is 9 oz lighter....I will weight both the next time I get out the Target Lite......

26 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

The Hogue over molded stock is lighter. I switched to the Hogue on my Target Lite.  I do miss the Extra control I feel like I had with the thumbhole bit I am no professional and I like the “tackiness” of the Hogue... Do not quote me on the exact reduction but I think it is 9 oz lighter....I will weight both the next time I get out the Target Lite......

The Smith web site says the laminated is 4.9 and the Hogue is 5.2 so I think they are saying that the PC T/CR 22 Hogue weighs more, the go to buy now and on gallery of guns says it is 7 lbs. so who knows for sure till you can really weigh one.

Edited by mchapman

2 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

I will pull the Target Lite out this weekend and get this info posted...Do not want to provide bad info..I will be comparing the Target Lite Thumbhole stock to the over molded Hogue. I will also take a picture of both while I am weighing....

So are the ones that you have the new one introed at shot this year? I guess that they use the Ruger 10-22 rotary mags?

Edited by mchapman

3 hours ago, mchapman said:

So are the ones that you have the new one introed at shot this year? I guess that they use the Ruger 10-22 rotary mags?

Mchapman - I need to apologize Sir - I mis-read or my brain just wanted to contribute to this discussion without realizing that you were talking about a S&W stock and I am talking about the Ruger Stocks.....

Again sorry for the confusion I created in this thread discussion....Mark