Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

going down the revolver road

MRBerg

going to give the revolver game a try in uspsa just picked up a 627 pc at a great buy so here we go im in hopes to get some help from one of the guys here in Iowa watching Mike shoot that wheel gun got me interested I have always liked wheel guns have a 686 that I enjoy shooting but needed to step it up a little to play the game going to shoot 38 short colt brass seams like that's what most use need to get a holster moon clips and a good moon holder for my belt and im sure I will need some upgrades on the gun

Ron  

Welcome if you're up around Ankenny Mike is the one to learn from.  And if you can catch him off the lake he'll likely be willing to help you.

Now he's nowhere near as "chatty" as I am though!🤑  But when he speaks, listen.

A bunch of us around Kansas are gearing up for the Freestate Steel Challenge Area III Championship Match at DeSoto, Ks (just outside of KC) Sept. 24-27, 2020 using both Irons and Optic Sights. 

And the Freestate USPSA Match at the same range we're trying to get a full squad of Revolvers, just don't know the dates yet.  

Oh and get ready for the Midwest ICORE Regional June 13th at the old Chapman Academy now known as Green Valley.  It's a bit different than USPSA, Time Plus scoring system puts a bit more emphasis on accuracy, but still fun!

Edited by pskys2

Welcome to our madness! Get short colt brass from Starline. I started with 1k seemed to go through it quickly so got another 1k which almost lasts a year. Revolver Supply moons are great and the best price so you can bulk up to start. TK blued are my fave but can get expensive. The extended cylinder release hasn’t really helped my reload but keeps the muzzle pointing down range. My 627 took a fair amount of chamfering to get to easy loading. Above all, your best investment will be a set of snap caps so you can dry fire. A lot. Keeping the sights still during the long double action pull was my biggest challenge and dry fire was the cure.

You are correct it is Mike C I started shooting uspsa limited class in Ankeny last year some great guys there and I have shot benchrest at Mill Creek for many years nice place I have my work cut out getting this 627 set up but looking forward to it 

Ron 

• 2 weeks later...

should I stay with the .025 moon clips that's what the factory ones are ? starting to pick stuff up little at a time have a spring kit rebound springs # 11 -12 -13 14 what's a good starting place   picked up a BMT mooner 

Thanks Ron

should I stay with the .025 moon clips that's what the factory ones are ? starting to pick stuff up little at a time have a spring kit rebound springs # 11 -12 -13 14 what's a good starting place   picked up a BMT mooner 
Thanks Ron
It depends on what brass you want to use. I use full length 38 special from Remington exclusively so I use the blued ones from TK Custom.

There is a fitment chart here:
https://tkcustom.com/resources/faq-s

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Welcome to our madness! Get short colt brass from Starline. I started with 1k seemed to go through it quickly so got another 1k which almost lasts a year...

How do you mean almost lasts a year?

4 minutes ago, PatJones said:

4 minutes ago, PatJones said:

How do you mean almost lasts a year?

In a year, I go through my brass one time. 

Edited by Mcfoto

Yep, every year I buy a new 1000 pieces of brass.  I use the older brass for practice and the new stuff for competition.
Really? I've been using the same brass since I started 8 years ago. I lose one occasionally to a cracked case mouth, and I've added a few more to the lot over the years. I stopped counting reloads when the original batch hit 18 reloads.

21 hours ago, MRBerg said:

Thanks Ron

If you're serious try PM'ing HearthCo on this forum for Moon Clips.  Since you're going with 38 short colts go with the thicker/tighter moon clips made for Starline.  

On the rebound spring,

1) I smooth up the various parts i.e. rebound block, DA sear, trigger & cylinder bolt.  Lightly you don't want to remove metal just polish and keep the angles the same.  Get Miculek's DVD on Revolver Action Job.  

2) Bend Main Spring to get about 40+ounces of hammer fall, measure with a trigger gauge hooked around the hammer and at mid stroke keeping the pressure balanced.

3) Then I start with the 11# rebound spring.  I have a 627 Pro that is set like that with a 5 1/2=6# action and a 627 PC that is set with an 11# rebound spring minus 2 coils for 5 1/2# action.

I like both and can't tell much difference.  The only thing is this is good only for Federal SP Primers seated correctly.  Anything below 40 oz on hammer fall gives me the occassional mis-fire, even with Fed SPP's, and I won't knowingly compete with that.  My experience is that to light off all primers takes closer to 60+oz hammer fall.

3 hours ago, pskys2 said:

If you're serious try PM'ing HearthCo on this forum for Moon Clips.  Since you're going with 38 short colts go with the thicker/tighter moon clips made for Starline.  

On the rebound spring,

1) I smooth up the various parts i.e. rebound block, DA sear, trigger & cylinder bolt.  Lightly you don't want to remove metal just polish and keep the angles the same.  Get Miculek's DVD on Revolver Action Job.  

2) Bend Main Spring to get about 40+ounces of hammer fall, measure with a trigger gauge hooked around the hammer and at mid stroke keeping the pressure balanced.

3) Then I start with the 11# rebound spring.  I have a 627 Pro that is set like that with a 5 1/2=6# action and a 627 PC that is set with an 11# rebound spring minus 2 coils for 5 1/2# action.

I like both and can't tell much difference.  The only thing is this is good only for Federal SP Primers seated correctly.  Anything below 40 oz on hammer fall gives me the occassional mis-fire, even with Fed SPP's, and I won't knowingly compete with that.  My experience is that to light off all primers takes closer to 60+oz hammer fall.

i have done some gun work in the past so doing the work isn't a problem  watched a few you tube videos and did everything you talked about in your #1 answer Thank you for that info. insight on what pound rebound spring was great info. for me saves me a lot of time and a few bucks I will contact Hearth Co about moon clips next I need to get a good Trigger pull gage again Thanks for all the info. I have been getting here makes my trip down this revolver road much easier

Ron   

It has been pointed out to me on numerous occasions my foolishness in buying an expensive

revolver and doubling the cost with all the gear and TK custom shop work.  True that> however>

when the day comes when you are on a squad with all your buddies and you outscore most or 

all of them on that stage.... bragging rites ... bragging rites. makes it all worth while. And it still

puts out smiles (good times) when i shoot the bad guy thru the hostage's shoulder.I think i saw

that in Bruce Willis movie. DIe hard 5 or something. Might check out CIPS on facebook.  Central 

Iowa Practical Something shooting club. First sunday of each month. Best wishes. Hope to see

you around.

Zac I started shooting uspsa at Ankeny last year in limited class I'm the old fat guy shooting a shadow 2 I have always liked wheel guns and watching Mike C. Shoot just made me want to try it I see Skip is going to shoot one some also hope to see you at the matches this summer Ron 

Skip I am just starting to get parts to get mine going I may stop down and watch you guys if I can find the time my dad is keeping my dance card full here lately be great to see you and some of the guys 

Ron 

On 12/30/2019 at 7:59 PM, MRBerg said:

going to give the revolver game a try in uspsa just picked up a 627 pc at a great buy so here we go im in hopes to get some help from one of the guys here in Iowa watching Mike shoot that wheel gun got me interested I have always liked wheel guns have a 686 that I enjoy shooting but needed to step it up a little to play the game going to shoot 38 short colt brass seams like that's what most use need to get a holster moon clips and a good moon holder for my belt and im sure I will need some upgrades on the gun

Ron  

I just jumped back into the revo areana with a new S&W 929 .Ankeny will be hosting the BIG DAWG shoot in july 17 thru 19. something that might be of interest. 15 plate racks.

4 runs per rack. min 360 rounds.i have about 35 moon clips but will need 60 to preload that many rounds. of course you can use less if you demoon and reload them at lunch break. My 929 is now at TK custom getting the complete makeover with new FO front sight. admittedly i have as much in the upgrades and the equiptment as i do in the gun.

I would just tell my significant other to be thankfull i dont smoke, drink or own a bass boat.hope to see you at some shoots this year. have fun, best wishes