Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most effective minor open gun config?

BenAlpha

What's the most effective combination of barrel length, compensator design and popples configuration for a minor open gun?

At the moment I'm shooting  a 5" barrel, full dust cover, 3 port comp and no popples with 115G/124G magtech factory ammo.

The gun feels very soft, but it's not as flat as i'd want it to be.  (It's plenty flat with major ammo, but it's not available down here)

Thinking of rebuilding it as a shorty (4.25" full dust cover) with a 2 chamber comp and  a single popple hole.

Discuss.

Thank you!

Edited by BenAlpha

Since you are stuck with minor / factory loads I would think sticking with 115gr would be you best bet as the extra powder will give your comp more gas to get it working..  Have you thought about going to a 2 port comp on current set up??

Actually the dot moves alot less with 124g.

I did consider the 2 port comp on the current setup but kinda leaning towards adding a single popple hole with it.

I'm not sure how effective the overall process will be with this little gas but trying to get a scope on what's the best setup might be.

Ben, it all depends on what you are looking for.  For factory loads in 124 @ 1100fps you really don't need a comp.  A comp will make the gun shoot a little softer, but not by a lot.  Going to a 2-port comp will do nothing.  Either the third port on your existing comp isn't used, or it is a little.  The only thing a two port comp will do is lighten the front and make transitions a touch faster.

Adding poppels is the way to go for flatness.  I'd put two 3/16" poppels in your existing gun and call it done.  If you ever do shoot major again it will be a lot flatter, but it will hit your hand harder.  If you like the way your existing setup shoots for major, rebarrel without a comp and add the two poppels.  Even close to the muzzle where I would put them will make a noticeable difference.  You want them there so you don't bleed off too much high pressure and fail to make minor with factory.

I like Magtech, but don't shoot it in my Open guns.  Jacketed leads up the comp.  I've been shooting PRVI Partizan factory JHPs when I don't have enough reloaded.  They work great.

7 minutes ago, zzt said:

Ben, it all depends on what you are looking for.

Thank you for your reply!

Would you make those holes in a row or in a V?

What's your take on the shorty option?

- I will probably never get to shoot major with this gun again.

- Yes, the magtech ammo lead up the comp real fast.

Edited by BenAlpha

1 hour ago, BenAlpha said:

Thank you for your reply!

Would you make those holes in a row or in a V?

What's your take on the shorty option?

- I will probably never get to shoot major with this gun again.

- Yes, the magtech ammo lead up the comp real fast.

I have Open guns with two holes in a row, and guns with a V2 config.  In a row at 90 degrees straight up gives more flattening.  V2 at 30 degrees each side gives less, but the glass stays cleaner and the target is less obscured.  I also think, but cannot prove, the dot behaves better with the V2.  I never really thought about it until I put a V2 in my two new guns.  First time I shot them was WOW, much clearer.

Personally, I wouldn't do a shorty, even if I stroked it, especially if I was planning poppels.   I'd want poppels as close to the muzzle as possible.  You rob less velocity and they apply more counter-rotational force there.  The idea is too eliminate as much muzzle rise as possible.  So it would be a standard 5" or a middy for me.

None of my older Open guns would shoot minor loads reliably.  So for Steel Challenge I just put an optic on my Limited gun and shot Open.  It worked perfectly.  I did that for two years until I decided to build a dedicated 1911 Open for steel challenge.  I built the 1911 upper the same as I built the 2011 gun.  I figured I could eventually fit a lower and have a backup 2011 for USPSA.  It had a custom 3-port comp with two 3/16" poppels in a V2.  Unless I use minor loads in the 150PF range using slow powders the comp does nothing.  On a lark I shot some 125PF loads designed for a PCC through it and was surprised to find it softer and just as flat as the 150PF loads.  So I'm ordering an uncompensated 9mm barrel for it.  I'll fit it and see how it works for mouse fart loads.

If I were retrofitting your gun, I'd order a 9mm threaded barrel without the threading.  I'd fit it and shoot it that way to see how I liked it.  Then I could shoot lead, poly, plated and jacketed without worrying about leading.  If I wanted it flatter I'd put two poppels in the extended part of the barrel in a V2 and call it done.  Then I'd use plated or JHPs.