Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adding weight to G17

sheepdog566

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 10:32 PM, cjmill87 said:

Unfortunately without doing anything radical, your not able to add much (at least with a Gen 4 G17 lower).  The best combination I got was tungsten putty with a modified (dremeled) Carver Custom brass magwell weight but even that only added about 2.7 oz.  That's just to the frame itself but you can certainly try to add some weight on the magazines as well.

This! Tungsten putty plus tungsten shot.  Best I was able to do as well.  2.75 oz is noticeable into the frame given it is 5.4 oz on its own.  I also have a heavier steel guide rod (gen 3) and that balances it somewhat.  I haven't seen any adverse effects, but that's only one match.  Have to run it some more, but I trimmed the Carver insert such that I can still use backstrap medium.

Edited by vluc

I’ve read a few times of people building up epoxy on the sides of their frame to add some width and that as long as the profile of the gun isn’t changed when looking at it from the side, and no beavertail or magwell is made, that’s fine. 

What if you made palm swells for the sides of your frame out of brass? Either grip tape or silicone carbide over top. 

Here’s an oz9 I’ve been messing with. Rules may differ slightly, because I modified the grip, not the frame. This would be the equivalent of adding brass Lok grips to a shadow 2. 

765D29A2-F20E-43B0-984F-7182E0290A2F.jpeg

6CFC3F0D-95DD-4618-8C14-C99E20CC4057.jpeg

I used what I used because it is reversible.  I've pulled the putty and shot out when I first tried it to see if it could be done and, while a bit time consuming, it can be done.  Same with the brass insert.  Once satisfied, I put it all back in.  Did the same with my backup gen4.  They are within a quarter ounce of each other.

6 hours ago, jpeters11 said:

I’ve read a few times of people building up epoxy on the sides of their frame to add some width and that as long as the profile of the gun isn’t changed when looking at it from the side, and no beavertail or magwell is made, that’s fine. 

What if you made palm swells for the sides of your frame out of brass? Either grip tape or silicone carbide over top. 

Here’s an oz9 I’ve been messing with. Rules may differ slightly, because I modified the grip, not the frame. This would be the equivalent of adding brass Lok grips to a shadow 2. 

765D29A2-F20E-43B0-984F-7182E0290A2F.jpeg

6CFC3F0D-95DD-4618-8C14-C99E20CC4057.jpeg

With the OZ9 I am just waiting to see if someone is dedicated enough to make a brass grip module lol

4 hours ago, horhey232 said:

With the OZ9 I am just waiting to see if someone is dedicated enough to make a brass grip module lol

I don’t think there will ever be a big enough market to justify machining a brass grip. 
1/8” sheets of brass only cost me $15, and a lot of time with a carbide burr bit. 
The one I did came out to 40oz with a 140mm tti extension. You could use tf brass extensions too, but I don’t like how you could feel the mag move a little with every shot. 

00FEE145-BDC6-4272-81EA-A57C2EC539D8.jpeg

51 minutes ago, jpeters11 said:

I don’t think there will ever be a big enough market to justify machining a brass grip. 
1/8” sheets of brass only cost me $15, and a lot of time with a carbide burr bit. 
The one I did came out to 40oz with a 140mm tti extension. You could use tf brass extensions too, but I don’t like how you could feel the mag move a little with every shot. 

00FEE145-BDC6-4272-81EA-A57C2EC539D8.jpeg

It would be similar to the new 2011 grip modules that are metal. Would be interesting but it would be so niche that I doubt who ever made them would turn a profit unless Zev made it and offered it. They should do it like the 320 and either infuse tungsten or add weight modules inside the grip.

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Nuncles said:

Just curious if anyone has tried a tungsten guide rod AND flashlight (WML) on a 17\34?  Good? Bad? No Difference? 

I did that with my gen 4 glock 17, plugged cavity with tungsten putty and shot minus, stock rsa. Have one tungsten cylinder in the wml.

With an empty tti 140 mag it weighs 41 oz

Have gen 3 glock 19 build with 80% arms gst-9 lower w/ brass magwell.

Weighted wml and steel guide.  With empty 140mm mag it comes in at 43 oz.  I run it as my open minor gun