Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adding weight to G17

sheepdog566

Besides a tungsten guide rod what are you doing to add weight to a gen5 17 for CO. Thug plug, tungsten powder, tungsten putty, lead shot.
I thought the thug plug was for the gen 3 only. I am interested to see what is legal to do for both games or just USPSA CO.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Here’s what I did for Carry Optics : 

Thug Plug

#6 shot in the butt of the pistol 

Tungsten Guide Rod

Wrapped mag extensions with steel wheel weights

If you really must have the heaviest striker fired gun, I’d suggest selling the Glock and buying a Sig. 

2 hours ago, HCH said:

Thug Plug

Tungsten Guide Rod

If you really must have the heaviest striker fired gun, I’d suggest selling the Glock and buying a Sig. 

Did you notice a dramatic difference with the additions you made?

Unfortunately without doing anything radical, your not able to add much (at least with a Gen 4 G17 lower).  The best combination I got was tungsten putty with a modified (dremeled) Carver Custom brass magwell weight but even that only added about 2.7 oz.  That's just to the frame itself but you can certainly try to add some weight on the magazines as well.

On 12/30/2019 at 11:52 AM, HCH said:

Thug Plug

Tungsten Guide Rod

That is what I did.

I did the calculation for how much I need to spend to make my G17 a CO gun (including adding weight, cutting the slide, ...). I had a Sig P320 full size (regular one, not the X5) and never liked it. After a match, I tried my friend's P320-X5 Legion. Within a month, I sold both of G17 and P320, and bought a P320 X5 Legion. It is an amazing gun. The weight balance is par with a full metal handgun. It is supper sweet to shoot with. 

Saying that, I still enjoy shooting with my G34, for which with respect to weight, I just changed the recoil rod with a SS one. I prefer to keep it as a light weight production gun.

If you choose to go into the Sig route, P320-X5 Legion is a heavy gun (41.7 oz empty plus additional 2 oz. for the red-dot). 

Edited by Sean_ht

The only thing I've done that adds weight is a TTI steel guiderod. I don't think it really helps much but I like the recoil with the 13lb spring over factory. I know you're invested in Glock but if you want a heavy gun I'd get the Legion. I don't think you'll shoot any better scores with the legion but it does feel nicer to shoot. 

• 6 months later...

I just got a Glockstore Pure Tungsten Guide Rod, Thug Plug, and stainless steel trigger pins for my Gen 3 34. According to my math it comes in at 5.94 oz. A Surefire X300 with batteries comes in at 4.3 oz. I have a match Thursday night and Saturday so I will report my findings on Sunday if I remember.

Ultra-heavy guns in Production are just that. . .heavy as Hell.

While they seem to have an advantage in flat-footed stand-and-shoot situations (they rock in Bill Drills), they start to fail when transitions between targets are called for.

Weigh the pros and cons carefully.

So post range report from shooting a match after adding all that weight to my Glock. In my personal opinion it makes a huge difference. Recoil was super easy to manage and I was able to reacquire a sight picture much faster making my splits more accurate and faster. 10/10 would advise doing.

For those of you curious here is my parts list:

https://www.glockstore.com/Super-Heavy-Tungsten-Guide-Rod?quantity=1&custcol8=3

34 extended, 15#, uncaptured

https://www.glockstore.com/Thug-Plug

full size frame, gen 3 ***filed to fit within Production rules***

https://www.glockstore.com/Stainless-Steel-Pin-Kit

Simple physics. Weight will help a light pistol.  Ask Travis Tomasie about the weight of a pistol and transitions. I agree that Travis is not your average shooter, but he can articulate the light vs heavy pistol , plus it is different for each shooter.  Weight is a good thing in a too light of a pistol.

14 hours ago, lamelogin said:

horhey232,

What is the current weight (oz) of your G17 with those changes?

It is currently sitting at 30.55 oz. with an empty magazine. Glock's website states that a factory 34 with an empty magazine is 25.93 oz. 

To put it in comparison:

Sig Sauer P320 X5 (no magwell): 33.5 oz

CZ Shadow 2: 47 oz

CZ75 A01: 51 oz (I think this is the heaviest gun on the USPSA Production List even though maximum weight is now 59 oz!)

• 1 month later...

FYI....I ordered a Thug Plug from the Glockstore.  It is NOT like this.. https://www.glockstore.com/Thug-Plug.

Its longer and tapers down (like a door stop).  No need to buy lead/tungsten shot (won't fit anyways).  Still weighs close to what is advertised though.  I measured with my calipers and installed its .098" below the heel.  My Thug Plug weighs 2.2 ounces.

Edited by oddjob