Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case feeder actuator triangle thingy, and pivot arm questions

Just follow along for abit I hope it will make sense.  Machine only has about 3-4K rounds on it.  I am loading .308 currently.

I know when loading pistol ammo (or short cases) you are to have the triangle doo-dad with the long angle facing the pivot arm, and this allows for a smooth transition of the pivot to allow the case to drop.

When loading rifle cases, you are supposed to switch the triangle doo-dad around to allow the straight wall, and sharp angle at the top activate the pivot arm to drop the case, and allow extra dwell time for the longer case to drop through the pivot arm.

My problem is, when I switch the triangle doo-dad around for rifle. the steep angle hits the pivot arm, and almost comes to a stop, putting a large amount of pressure on the entire mechanism, and I watch the whole plate system dip down towards the table top before the triangle passes the sticking point and moves the actuator.  I am afraid it is going to break the triangle doo-dad mounting parts.

Also the actuator pivot arm seems fairly stiff, and will actually get stuck in place if I push it all the way towards the tool head.  I have tried lubing it, adjusting the tension on the nylock bolt, checked to make sure the case feed insert is not dragging, checked the body busing is not sticking too high into the body etc.  

Any ideas?  Here is a stock photo to show the area I am speaking about.

s-l1600.jpg

If you loosen the allen key you can slide the triangle away from the tool head a bit that may help.  Ive only ever loaded pistol and 223 on my 650 so ive never flipped it. I am also running the snowshooze stuff so its a bit different.

Also does it work flipped for 308?

I had an issue with the pivot arm similar to what you describe.

Took it apart and noticed some galling on the surface.

Called Dillon and explained what was going on and said I was going to try to polish up that area and did they have a problem with that? 

They said nope; that's what we would have told you to do.

I also cleaned up the "slot" that it pivots through. No problems since.

Sooo I took it all apart, cleaned it, polished it and put it back together.  Still does the same thing.  Here is a short video of it in action.  It appears that once the handle is pulled all the way in the down position, the actuator moves as it is supposed to, but the case inside the assembly does not move far enough forward to pull the case out from beneath the case above, and not into the drop assembly below.  When the handle is pressed back in the up position, the case simply stacks in under the case above, and maybe on the second pull it will fall down where it is supposed to.  AS you can see, the triangle doo-dad is in the rifle position.

Video of malfunction.

On 12/30/2019 at 9:18 AM, ddc said:

Took it apart and noticed some galling on the surface

I had the same problem with galling on the used 650 I bought. Took it apart and first used medium course sand paper and then finished up with fine sandpaper until enough material was taken off to move smoothly. Hope this helps.