Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WOA 3 gun profile barrels

I did a search and ran across a few posts about them but nothing recent or pertaining to the 1.9 pound version specifically. I know weight is super personal but I was wondering about the 1.9 and the ability to maintain its accuracy after getting heated. We have a club series starting back up in January at my home range and for sure we will be shooting far. The range is up to 1000 yards. Obviously we won’t be shooting that far but I have a feeling at max 600. 

I have a WOA barrel in my 3 Gun rifle that has been converted to a Yote gun since I don't shoot 3 Gun anymore. It was very accurate and still is today. My WOA barrel is a Wilson Arms barrel, check with Wilson Arms, they have great prices. Many folks use the Wilson Arms barrels and don't even know that they are shooting them since they have someone else's name on them.

Not an exact answer to your question, but; my wife's 3 gun rifles have the Odin Works Ultra-lite barrels. They are 16" long and 1# 6 oz. It does have any thermal drift that I have noted. We have 3 of them now, 2 for wife and 1 for a child, and they are fantastic. I want to do a lightweight build with one now. I get them on sale at Primary Arms for about $200. The last two I thermofit the barrel with the undersize BCM upper (which I also trued and bedded), and those barrels are shooting below .75 MOA. The first barrel I mounted just standard shoots sub moa with 75 and 77 grain bullets and multiple propellants.

Regarding the WOA barrels, I have heard great things about them. I shoot with someone who has two of them, but he has a heavy profile, something I believe is not needed based on my 3 gun experience. I called WOA about the barrel you are posting about and asked if I could get one made with a Kreiger blank, and they told me it was not needed for 3 gun. I also asked them if they would chop an inch off the the front. With the WOA proprietary gas system, it should have the same dwell time as a rifle gas system on an 18' barrel, and they said they would do it. I still want to try one, but I keep getting those Odin barrels on sale cheap, and they are working so awesome. Here in the Carolinas, we have a lot of great matches and shoot out to 500 with some regularity, and my wife crushes the long-range stuff with a lightweight barrel. We don't have small targets in 3 gun. We also often do a stage with round counts of 60 or more rounds of the rifle (we have to change a D60), and the lightweight barrels are performing well. I would not go above a 0.75 diameter barrel for 3 gun personally.

Admittedly I do have a mild barrel addiction.   Perhaps it is better to say it's an area of competitive interest, but I find it interesting that WOA puts more metal at the back of the barrel, and JP put more metal upfront. I have read that John Pauls's favorite barrel in the JP lightweight 18" for whatever that is worth. I ran 18" rifle gas barrels for 4 or 5 seasons, but now I am trying 16" mid-length because I can.

If you buy the lightweight WOA barrel and it does not work out, you can always change barrels. I will predict you will be pleased with the lightweight WOA barrel.

• 2 years later...