Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installing a JW rear sight blade on a S&W revo, easy right?

ysrracer

It took me two hours :)

First it didn't fit, then the replacement screw didn't fit, then the bit from Brownells didn't fit.

Then I lost the little detent spring, then I lost the little detent. 

I should have let a gunsmith do it :)

https://www.jackweigand.com/smith_wesson_rear_blade.html

414360269.jpg

Edited by ysrracer

Careful with that thing. I used to use one, I really like the sight picture. I kept losing elevation because the blade would bend down. If you carry your revo in a soft case be careful with it, they bend down pretty easily.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

It gives you a "Bomar" type sight picture. I figured for 20 bucks I'd give it a try.

33 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

It gives you a "Bomar" type sight picture. I figured for 20 bucks I'd give it a try.

For me the deeper sight notch did not hide any of my fiber optic front when acquiring a proper sight picture. I liked it and cheaper than complete  rear sight replacement .

I used the Weigand replacement blades for years, but have switched to Bowen rear sights. The Bowen design is significantly more robust that the factory design, which isn’t really known to stay in place over time.

Factory blades are useable, but the glare coming from the flat blade is a surprise when the sun is behind you. Also, the factory blade’s gap is much to large for competition with the long sight radius almost everyone is using today. Even the .110 Weigand seems like too much on a 929 with 8” of sight radius unless the  front sight is massive like an SDM. 

I have used them, liked Millets better (but no longer made) then I picked up a 627 PC which comes with a .196" tall rear sight notch and LOVED it.  So now I do one of two things 1) buy the blade & kit and install (factory OEM so it fits) or 2) buy the assembly $55.99  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004431882?pid=242918 the blade alone (white outline) w/kit is 12.99.

1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

I have used them, liked Millets better (but no longer made) then I picked up a 627 PC which comes with a .196" tall rear sight notch and LOVED it.  So now I do one of two things 1) buy the blade & kit and install (factory OEM so it fits) or 2) buy the assembly $55.99  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004431882?pid=242918 the blade alone (white outline) w/kit is 12.99.

My 5" 627 PC came with a .160, not a .196 I use it with an SDM Super Sight.

The Wiegand is also .160

Edited by ysrracer

37 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

My 5" 627 PC came with a .160, not a .196 I use it with an SDM Super Sight.

The Wiegand is also .160

Really I'm sure mine came with the tallest available, the 627 pro I had to upgrade though.  Can't really check as the PC is at S&W getting a new trigger stud!

Either way the .196 is great and I'm sure it's what JM used.

8 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Really I'm sure mine came with the tallest available, the 627 pro I had to upgrade though.  Can't really check as the PC is at S&W getting a new trigger stud!

Either way the .196 is great and I'm sure it's what JM used.

Josephine Munchnik uses a .196? Sweet !!

On 12/28/2019 at 5:10 PM, alecmc said:

or next time go with the buy once cry once and get this:

http://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=43

Exactly.  Excellent sight picture, beefy, painless to instal and nowhere near as fragile.

Sometimes throwing what seems like too much money at something is the right answer.

6 hours ago, Tom Freeman said:

Exactly.  Excellent sight picture, beefy, painless to instal and nowhere near as fragile.

Sometimes throwing what seems like too much money at something is the right answer.

Yup.

The Bowens are better made, sturdier, and mo' beefy. They can take a knock or three coming out of a port or against a wall, trust me - i've done it. 

They also offer a cleaner , less distracting , sight picture. 

81200387_2189606904678563_8952202533523161088_n.jpg

+1 for Bowen.  Yes, they cost more money.  No, you won't find a better rear sight.  I have them on all of my Ruger and S&W revolvers with adjustable sights.  They are the only rear sight that will stay put after repeated abuse from 5 shot magnums and have the best sight picture out there.  They also offer custom notch widths if you call to order.  

FWIW, I'm a cheap ass at heart and view these sights as something worth paying for.

Also, Alec's comment reminded me that I once whacked one hard into a piece of steel and dented the sight blade noticeably, still held zero.  Haven't changed it since.

Edited by Alaskan454