Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ TSO .40 OAL?

kcin

Can anyone tell me what the maximum OAL for a CZ TSO in .40 cal?  Sorry if this question has been answer multiple times already.  I tried searching for the answer but came up empty. 
CZ are notoriously short chambered. You can ream the chamber to accept longer length bullets (as long as your magazines allow) but you will have to follow factory length which is 1.135 OAL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, 07yzryder said:

How long do you want to load? some info in this thread.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/261292-longest-coal-for-a-tso/

I have been batting around the Idea of switching to a TSO. So I'm going to barrow a buddy's TSO to see if I like it and I'm trying to figure out if my loads that I run in my SS/2011 will work.  I typically run a 1.165 OAL.  

1.135 is what I came up with.

I could get 1.140 to plunk most of the time but with a dirty barrel and the occasional “just a little too long” round failing to plunk, wasn’t worth it for the extra .005.

Plus 1.135 is just about the max for the TSO magazine as stated.

I’m not serious enough about the sport or any one class in particular to spend the time or money to customize, so I just shoot as is for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been batting around the Idea of switching to a TSO. So I'm going to barrow a buddy's TSO to see if I like it and I'm trying to figure out if my loads that I run in my SS/2011 will work.  I typically run a 1.165 OAL.  

Never say never, but I’m pretty sure they will not.

Too long for the gun, too long for the magazine.

Edit*

Just read that post an apparently people have done it.

Guess I should be more specific and say my stock pistol will not.

How long do you want to load? some info in this thread.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/261292-longest-coal-for-a-tso/

Just looked through this thread.

How the heck did he get a 1.160” round to chamber????

He must have a reemed barrel????

And I tried to to load a magazine full of 1.150” and they were borderline rubbing the front of the magazine. I didn’t try, but I don’t think I could get a mag full of 1.160”.

I guess it’s pointless to try since I’m capped at 1.135” by the barrel.

16 minutes ago, iflyskyhigh said:

Just looked through this thread.

How the heck did he get a 1.160” round to chamber????

He must have a reemed barrel????

And I tried to to load a magazine full of 1.150” and they were borderline rubbing the front of the magazine. I didn’t try, but I don’t think I could get a mag full of 1.160”.

I guess it’s pointless to try since I’m capped at 1.135” by the barrel.

reemed? who needs a reamer, i got a dremel what OAL you want the barrel to accept?

Kidding of course, im not sure i never tried to reach that far out. I don know that different profile bullets stack differently in the mag. my 200gr RN would rub at the same length my 180 RNFP would be fine. That said i load to 1.130 and it works fine for me. No issues removing a chambered round. Maybe ill check when i get home for poops and grins.

reemed? who needs a reamer, i got a dremel what OAL you want the barrel to accept?

Kidding of course, im not sure i never tried to reach that far out. I don know that different profile bullets stack differently in the mag. my 200gr RN would rub at the same length my 180 RNFP would be fine. That said i load to 1.130 and it works fine for me. No issues removing a chambered round. Maybe ill check when i get home for poops and grins.

I’ll drop my barrel in the mail too you today [emoji23]

3 hours ago, kcin said:

That will not work.  A friend with a Czechmate had to have the throat reamed so he could run 1.160".  If you try it you may end up setting back the bullet and raising pressure a lot.

Before I bought mine, several friend who had them told me that if I loaded to 1.126" I'd never have a feeding problem no matter what the bullet profile.  They were right.  The standard 1.135" failed to reliably feed some profiles.

Max OAL will be very dependent on projectile choice. With Gallant 180s I can load to 1.165 and plunk, but I had 2-3/100 that would fully chamber but not drop freely (they went into a practice box and I never had any issues with them in practice). I shortened to 1.15 and that issue went away and I no longer feel like the noses are rubbing inside the magazine. 1.17 is about the max OAL the mags can handle before rounds will bind. 

I bought my TSO used but I’m pretty sure it was not reamed. 

I run S&S RN 200gr at 1.180" and have no problems.  Barrels are not reamed as I use them in both a TS and TSO.  I'll have to measure some of my 180gr loads since I haven't loaded any of them in a couple years since switching to the 200gr bullets.  

On 12/27/2019 at 4:08 PM, zzt said:

That will not work.  A friend with a Czechmate had to have the throat reamed so he could run 1.160".  If you try it you may end up setting back the bullet and raising pressure a lot.

Before I bought mine, several friend who had them told me that if I loaded to 1.126" I'd never have a feeding problem no matter what the bullet profile.  They were right.  The standard 1.135" failed to reliably feed some profiles.

Where did he find someone to ream the throat on a Czechmate?  Its my understanding the the coating on the CZ barrels is too hard to ream or at least it is on the shadow2.

2 hours ago, kcin said:

Where did he find someone to ream the throat on a Czechmate?  Its my understanding the the coating on the CZ barrels is too hard to ream or at least it is on the shadow2.

I don't know; however, there is such a thing as a carbide reamer.

7 hours ago, kcin said:

I reamed my CM barrels with a High Speed Steel reamer from Manson; no issues. 

I bought a HSS reamer from Brownells a couple years ago and have reamed several barrels with it.  Have also loaned it out to friends.  Have never had a problem reaming any barrel except one 9mm barrel from Springfield in a 9mm Loaded model.  I have my Czechmate and TS barrels able to load out to 1.170" with no problem.