Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DA/SA start - Production

Stafford

I understand that DA/SA pistols start hammer down in Production. However, some stages start with the pistol on a table or barrel with the loaded mags on the barrel. Once given the start, collect the extra mags and load and charge your pistol. Now, you are starting in single action. I assume you just go with it as opposed to trying to bring the hammer down or decock prior to firing. 

For those that shoot IDPA, same thing I presume?

After the start signal, the CoF has begun and just as you said, you just go with it so technically, you are not "starting in single action" since the CoF is underway. You started the CoF with the hammer down while it was on the barrel/table/etc. This is USPSA, not sure about IDPA.

On 12/27/2019 at 6:17 AM, Stafford said:

I understand that DA/SA pistols start hammer down in Production. However, some stages start with the pistol on a table or barrel with the loaded mags on the barrel. Once given the start, collect the extra mags and load and charge your pistol. Now, you are starting in single action. I assume you just go with it as opposed to trying to bring the hammer down or decock prior to firing. 

no, you 'started' with the hammer down. no one cares if you rack the slide after that. in fact you can rack the slide or thumb the hammer back for the first shot anytime you feel like it on a normal loaded start.

4 hours ago, motosapiens said:

in fact you can rack the slide or thumb the hammer back for the first shot anytime you feel like it on a normal loaded start.

Interesting - I thought it was not allowed to cock the hammer during draw as it would be considered "unsafe gun handling," but I couldn't find such a rule, so it's clearly allowed.

Anyone in Production actually using "cock while drawing" method? 

1 minute ago, IVC said:

no one good does it because it is considerably slower than just shooting, and if you practice, it's not any more accurate.

If the first shot is to a difficult target, I have seen c/d level shooters cock the hammer first, giving up more than a second in the process.

8 minutes ago, IVC said:

Interesting - I thought it was not allowed to cock the hammer during draw as it would be considered "unsafe gun handling," but I couldn't find such a rule, so it's clearly allowed.

Prohibited in IPSC, not USPSA.

ETA: I recall using it once during my year in Production. It was a seated start and there was about 2 yards of movement to a window to see some 30 yard targets. Other than that, it was easier just to learn the DA shot and/or choose the appropriate first target when possible.

Edited by ChuckS

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

no one good does it because it is considerably slower than just shooting, and if you practice, it's not any more accurate.

If the first shot is to a difficult target, I have seen c/d level shooters cock the hammer first, giving up more than a second in the process.

I have seen Revo shooters try going to SA for "hard" plates or poppers, normally they go back to DA after missing several times from the trigger pull being different. 

4 hours ago, IVC said:

nyone in Production actually using "cock while drawing" method?

No one who finishes above the 50% level. I have never never never ever done it in 4 years of shooting DA/SA guns in competition.

I've goofed off with it in practice at a slow pace just a few times but nothing serious at all.

It's not what I do, but I think you'd be better off using the JJ style prep of the DA trigger than cocking it manually.

If you can't hit things with the DA trigger pull it is your fault, not the guns. Thankfully as a person if you want you can change and improve.

On 12/30/2019 at 1:56 PM, IVC said:

I did awhile back on some weakhand stuff, but my left hand was in a brace...

On 12/30/2019 at 12:56 PM, IVC said:

The only time I have seen it was on a multi-string stage that had a draw and shoot 6 shots weak hand onto partials and mini poppers. It’s very easy to do while swapping to weak hand and the time given up is trivial.