Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I live in Connecticut and a few months ago they passed a law that no firearms can be left in an unattended vehicle unless it is locked in a trunk or in a gun safe.

I have a Ford Explorer so, I do not have a lockable trunk and for work reasons, I need to have a safe that can be removed. I am looking for a safe that can hold 2 pistols and maybe a rifle, but has a tether. Does anyone have any experience or can make any recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Warning: Unpopular opinion incoming. Firearms shouldn't be left in vehicles, period. This applies to everyone from military, to civilians, to sworn LEO's. There have been multiple incidents in the news of SBRs and even post-sample machine guns stolen out of cop cars, not to mention the tens of thousands of guns stolen every year out of regular cars.

But to answer your actual question: anything big enough to hold a rifle and multiple pistols will be big and heavy enough that you won't want to remove it once it's been installed.  I doubt anything is even on the market that could accommodate a rifle and also be capable of quick removal. Every rifle vault I've ever seen requires a bolt-down process that usually requires pulling out internal panels to expose the sub frame, etc.  Keep in mind that the average home safe which weighs 500-800 lbs only needs to withstand hand tools for a whopping 5 minutes to achieve its "RSC" certification. Vehicle vaults are considerably less thick and less secure. A prybar will rip one open in 2-3 minutes, tops.  The cables they come with can be clipped by just a good pair of shears.

Of all the laws that infringe upon the 2nd amendment, car storage laws bother me the absolute least.

Going to be really tough to find something that is easily removable.

For pistols if you want something low key you could look at Console Vault, they make vehicle specific lockers that are designed to fit in the center console. There are also other manufacturers, that also make them but can't remember off the top of my head.

7 hours ago, domino329 said:

I live in Connecticut and a few months ago they passed a law that no firearms can be left in an unattended vehicle unless it is locked in a trunk or in a gun safe.

I have a Ford Explorer so, I do not have a lockable trunk and for work reasons, I need to have a safe that can be removed. I am looking for a safe that can hold 2 pistols and maybe a rifle, but has a tether. Does anyone have any experience or can make any recommendations?

I would check out Tuffy Products. I have their pistol drawer for my Jeep and I love it. Very well made. https://www.tuffyproducts.com

However, I do not think you will find anything that is removable, but check out the options. You might find something that works for you as a compromise. For example, I think the security drawer that is in the trunk area might work for you. 

Warning: Unpopular opinion incoming. Firearms shouldn't be left in vehicles, period. This applies to everyone from military, to civilians, to sworn LEO's. There have been multiple incidents in the news of SBRs and even post-sample machine guns stolen out of cop cars, not to mention the tens of thousands of guns stolen every year out of regular cars.

But to answer your actual question: anything big enough to hold a rifle and multiple pistols will be big and heavy enough that you won't want to remove it once it's been installed.  I doubt anything is even on the market that could accommodate a rifle and also be capable of quick removal. Every rifle vault I've ever seen requires a bolt-down process that usually requires pulling out internal panels to expose the sub frame, etc.  Keep in mind that the average home safe which weighs 500-800 lbs only needs to withstand hand tools for a whopping 5 minutes to achieve its "RSC" certification. Vehicle vaults are considerably less thick and less secure. A prybar will rip one open in 2-3 minutes, tops.  The cables they come with can be clipped by just a good pair of shears.

Of all the laws that infringe upon the 2nd amendment, car storage laws bother me the absolute least.

Thank you for the great info. The duration of the storage would be very short. I was looking for something where I could have my guns locked up while stopping at a restaurant to eat on the way home from the range etc. I am certainly not looking to store them overnight or long-term.
You are also right, out of all the laws that infringe on the second amendment, this bothers me the least too.

I would check out Tuffy Products. I have their pistol drawer for my Jeep and I love it. Very well made. https://www.tuffyproducts.com

However, I do not think you will find anything that is removable, but check out the options. You might find something that works for you as a compromise. For example, I think the security drawer that is in the trunk area might work for you. 

These are nice. Thank you.