Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

320 X5 vs. 320 X5 Legion

Esquire

Never have been much of a Sig guy (nothing against them, just shot Glocks because I shoot them well and revolvers because I'm weird like that) but a P320 X5 that I saw at a local retailer last week caught my eye and I made the mistake of having them get it out of the case and letting me hold it.  Well, it just fit my hand perfectly.  Got me jonesing for one.  

Fast forward to today, and I go to local gun store and they have the X5 Legion.  I like the extra weight, but not entirely sure I like it $200 more.  

Predominant use will be USPSA and a little 3-gun eventually.  

What are y'alls thoughts on the weight difference and how much of a difference it makes in shooting and whether it's worthwhile?

I have both. Like the extra weight and think it makes a difference if your grip isn’t on point more than anything. Someone locked in with perfect solid grip can probably shoot both very similar but the extra weight helps out when everything isn’t perfect. I also think it just feels better since i shoot predominantly 2011’s which are even heavier.

If the $200 will hurt that much then putting them into a case of Bullets is probably better. But I haven’t gone back to the standard frame since I got the tungsten one. I shoot both slides rotated on the tungsten grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not really that the $200 hurts that much.  It's more that I'm undecided as to whether it will help me that much. The regular X5 is a really good-looking two-tone gun (maybe a distributor exclusive?) and that's where my heart is at.  

11 minutes ago, Esquire said:

It's not really that the $200 hurts that much.  It's more that I'm undecided as to whether it will help me that much. The regular X5 is a really good-looking two-tone gun (maybe a distributor exclusive?) and that's where my heart is at.  

if you like the 2 tone I’d get it. Sig has discontinued it, that’s one of the reasons it’s 200 cheaper

Grips are 185.00 and up for the Tungsten Legion grip.

So IF you want to turn the x5 into a heavy gun latter, the price is the same.

I'd consider the x5 if you're shooting Carry Optic or 3 gun due to the 4 21 round mags.

If you're shooting production then the Legion is probably worth the money for the 17 round mags that are production legal.

I'd think about the fact if you want to sell it down the road the Legion will move quicker.

Also re visit the mag, thoughts before you buy. 

I own one tung. grip and 3 x-5s 

Honestly, when I'm practicing during the shooting season I split them all about the same 

but the weight does seem to make it easier (as said above) if things get a little sloppy!

I assumed they weren’t selling the tungsten grip modules individually in order to get folks to make another buy to get the legion.  Handy piece of info there and that made the decision easy.  Thank you. 

Edited by Esquire

Differences between X5 and X5 Legion:

"Regular" X5

Four 21 round mags, plastic baseplates, CO legal, but not Prod legal.

Flat trigger, about 6 lbs

Magwell included but IIRC no frame weight (can someone fact check me on this?)

Slide is cut for Deltapoint Pro and Romeo1Pro

X5 Legion

Three 17 round mags with very nice aluminum Henning baseplates - Production legal. (Get TTI +5 pads for CO)
Tungsten grip with grip weight and magwell

Improved skeletonized trigger, about 5 lbs

Slide is cut for original Romeo1 only

1 hour ago, Esquire said:

I assumed they weren’t selling the tungsten grip modules individually in order to get folks to make another buy to get the legion.  Handy piece of info there and that made the decision easy.  Thank you. 

The TXG grip module is readily available directly from Sig and for considerably cheaper from multiple vendors online.

48 minutes ago, ClangClang said:

Differences between X5 and X5 Legion:

"Regular" X5

Four 21 round mags, plastic baseplates, CO legal, but not Prod legal.

Flat trigger, about 6 lbs

Magwell included but IIRC no frame weight (can someone fact check me on this?)

Slide is cut for Deltapoint Pro and Romeo1Pro

X5 Legion

Three 17 round mags with very nice aluminum Henning baseplates - Production legal. (Get TTI +5 pads for CO)
Tungsten grip with grip weight and magwell

Improved skeletonized trigger, about 5 lbs

Slide is cut for original Romeo1 only

Some small corrections. 

- 21 Round mags will need the base pads sanded down to fit the gauge for CO

- Original "Regular X5" is cut for the Romeo1, but the newer updated "R2" model has the cut for Romeo1 Pro, DPP and etc

- X5 Legion is cut for the Romeo1 Pro, DPP and etc

"Regular X5" does include the frame weight. 

I have 1 x5 that I put the tungsten grip on. I have larger hands and the weight makes it feel much nicer for me. I was an early x5 buyer and ended up paying close to what the x5 legion cost for it.

Both feel great I really like the grip angle. Weight aside the grip just fits me with either

Legion trigger is at 4# on mine (stock) and is better than standard X5. No need to get a trigger upgrade for X5 Legion (although it appears that many do). We had a test fire each others' pistols after a match about three weeks ago and five people shot my Legion. The "Open" A shooter was shooting low and left, while the Single Stack A shooter put 10 rapid shots within a 2" group centered in A-Zone at about 30 feet. If you have a good grip the trigger on the Legion is good enough for you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2019 at 1:46 PM, OPENB said:

Though the Legion trigger is better than the X5, the GG trigger is much better mo better. Worth the money in my opinion. 

I agree, GG has a slightly lighter pull and crispier break.

Hello: I would get the regular P320  X5. Install a Gray Guns trigger and a tungsten guide rod. That combo is just as fast and I think better than the stock X5 Legion. Get some TTI base pads and a Grams spring/follower setup for the 21 round magazines. Lastly a 12.5lb ISMI 1911 recoil spring. Thanks, Eric

3 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I would get the regular P320  X5. Install a Gray Guns trigger and a tungsten guide rod. That combo is just as fast and I think better than the stock X5 Legion. Get some TTI base pads and a Grams spring/follower setup for the 21 round magazines. Lastly a 12.5lb ISMI 1911 recoil spring. Thanks, Eric

Is your recommendation based upon actual experience with both pistols or just your opinion?  Not throwing rocks, I’m just curious about the basis of your suggestion. 

Hello: I have shot both pistols and have a P320 X5 I shoot in carry optics. I have the Legion grip, stock grip, steel guide rod, tungsten guide rod and a steel and tungsten grip weight. I even tried all the heavy parts together but they make it over weight and very heavy for transitions. I also shoot 124-125 grain bullets at 131-134PF. I tried 10,11, 12.5 and 14 lb recoil springs as well. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric