Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA 1911 HC FS 9mm

jschroep

I am having issues with this gun cycling. It seems like every now and then it will just have a Little hang up and stove pipe. I'm hesitant to run with the gun as I have a Springfield XD that works perfectly. I run MBX mags exclusively but the failure to ejects are kinda sporadic. 

What would it take money wise to have a Smith look through everything and make it right?

You might do a quick check to make sure the extractor channel doesn’t have a bunch of goo in it and the tension is correct. I’ve also had sporadic stovepipes from a loose ejector.

I’m sure there is info on both of these here or the 1911 forum.

Ummm what Recoil Spring are you using?  I'm down to a 9# from my 9mm 1911 TA (RIA).

To check the Extractor Tension:

1) take off the slide and remove the barrel

2) slide a loaded round under the extractor, you should feel resistance as it slides up the breech face

a) the case should have full contact with the breech face (if not you may need to cut the back face of the extractor to obtain this)

b) the angled face of the extractor should not bear upon the case either (it can touch but it's better to have a slight gap)

3) rotate the slide and the round should stay put, it shouldn't wiggle around

a) if it does wiggle, or worse slides out, you can try bending the extractor

b) if bending doesn't help you will need to remove material from the pad behind the extractor tip so the extractor bears more on the rim

4) finally make sure the bottom edge of the extractor channel the rim rides up into  is beveled

One or both of these issues should solve the problem.

On December 24, 2019 at 1:52 PM, jschroep said:

I am having issues with this gun cycling. It seems like every now and then it will just have a Little hang up and stove pipe. I'm hesitant to run with the gun as I have a Springfield XD that works perfectly. I run MBX mags exclusively but the failure to ejects are kinda sporadic. 

What would it take money wise to have a Smith look through everything and make it right?

Have you tried calling Rock Island? I've heard that their customer service is pretty good at making things right.

20 hours ago, Hunt4food said:

Looks good

My post was deleted by  Adm reference posting an add outside of the classifieds forum,  besides I do not have the amount of posts needed to post so....I am sorry for that to you and to the Adm.

I am gonna send it in to Hayes and have him take a look at it. I also noticed that the grip just seems to have alot of pokey corners. Has anyone had experience with 2011's is the grip size similar albeit better with edges that aren't sharp?

Edited by jschroep

7 hours ago, jschroep said:

I am gonna send it in to Hayes and have him take a look at it. I also noticed that the grip just seems to have alot of pokey corners. Has anyone had experience with 2011's is the grip size similar albeit better with edges that aren't sharp?

let me know how it ends up. really interested in the ria from hayes.

• 2 weeks later...