Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zev Optimized Barrels

9X23Guy

Zev just announced that an enhanced barrel is available. Biggest difference I. old see is new barrels have a different twist rate. Zev barrels are 1 in 10, new enhanced are 1 in 14. Side by side tests I've done against my KKMs still show KKM the overall clear winner across all loads but Zev did have some very exceptional results with 115s. KKM crushed it with 147s pretty bad though. KKM is 1 in 10, would be curious to see what a 1 in 14 Zev would shoot like. "Should" see a 1 in 14 shoot lighter bullets better than heavier but I've seen so many exceptions I don't really pay attention to what it should be and only look at the results are.

9 hours ago, 9X23Guy said:

Zev just announced that an enhanced barrel is available. Biggest difference I. old see is new barrels have a different twist rate. Zev barrels are 1 in 10, new enhanced are 1 in 14. Side by side tests I've done against my KKMs still show KKM the overall clear winner across all loads but Zev did have some very exceptional results with 115s. KKM crushed it with 147s pretty bad though. KKM is 1 in 10, would be curious to see what a 1 in 14 Zev would shoot like. "Should" see a 1 in 14 shoot lighter bullets better than heavier but I've seen so many exceptions I don't really pay attention to what it should be and only look at the results are.

I did this same test with ZEV, Glock and KKM.  KKM had the best group by far.  It seems to lock into the slide a bit tighter than the other two.  

• 5 months later...

I put a new optimized barrel in a Gen 4, 17. Not sure what the issues are everyone was talking about with the LCI in the Sig but it's a non issue with the new Zev barrel. The brass looks fine. I haven't tested it rested on a bench but shooting it side by side with a KKM barrel looks almost identical while slow fire grouping at 25 yards. The DLC is terrific on it, the drop in fit was good without being overly tight. The only issue I've seen is that they are overpriced. I paid $235 which is more than the KKM. I guess to those that really like aesthetics it's not a big deal because it does look nice. But I don't really care about that, I just want it to shoot well, which it does.