Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wet tumbling may cause primer sticking on decapping pin

highhope

Using Dillon 1050, mark7 and Dillon 9mm decapping dies, and wet tumbiling set up. 

I always have the issues that primer sticking to the pin and pull back, and have tried many solutions like different dies (lee, rcbs, redding),  polish the tip and shape the pin to an angle, but still cannot get 100%, until a friend told me the wet tumbiling may casue the problem. So I tried to reload with 800-1000 "dirty brass" which I picked up in the indoor range, and didn't get any problem so far. 

For we tumbling, I am using Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Rotary Tumbler and folloing Frankford Arsenal Platinum Brass Dryer 2 hours plus dry, still don't know what I did wrong. But if you have same issue with, may worth to try dry tumbiling for brass preparation. 

Edited by highhope

I would guess you are wet tumbling with the primer still in.  This will cause the gunk in the primer to dry and basically "glue" the primer into the pocket.  This will  cause the issue you describe.  I too ran into this while process brass on my AB driven 1050.  For this, and a few other reasons, I gave up on wet tumbling and went back to the ole standard media tumbling.  

Wet tumbling is most effective when de priming first.

I really only wet tumble rifle brass after I have deprimed, resized and trimmed.

I think I may have tried to wet tumble pistol brass once with primers still in and it made the water so much dirtier and took longer to come that it didn’t seem practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, microham said:

Wet tumbling requires depriming first. That way the primer pocket gets cleaned as well.

With all due respect Microham - I think your post should state - When Wet tumbling depriming first will yield the best results related to cleaner primer pockets...Wet tumbling does not “require” you remove the primers first before being able to wet tumble....Mark

21 hours ago, GregJ said:

I would guess you are wet tumbling with the primer still in.  This will cause the gunk in the primer to dry and basically "glue" the primer into the pocket.  This will  cause the issue you describe.  I too ran into this while process brass on my AB driven 1050.  For this, and a few other reasons, I gave up on wet tumbling and went back to the ole standard media tumbling.  

yes sir, I wet tumbling with the primer still in. It makes sense then..

20 minutes ago, The Donald said:

Put a slight angle on your decap pin and the primers pop right out. Just load 5,000 rds. of 40, wet tumbled first then in the oven at 230 for an hour to dry them. No problems at all.

Thank you sir, I have put an angle on the pin but still not 100%, maybe I did not dry them totally. Will try oven too.

3 hours ago, highhope said:

Thank you sir, I have put an angle on the pin but still not 100%, maybe I did not dry them totally. Will try oven too.

I put my brass in throw away roasting pans, after shaking off in a towel. I put slightly more brass in the roasting pan to cover the bottom.