Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington Versa Max Competition work in progress

3gunNoob

Hello everyone, I decided to go over all modifications and also ask questions for the year 2020 (just around the corner). Almost all subject matter about VM is 2011-2015. I want to create an up to date topic for all people looking for good info on Versa Max Tactical and Competition. Especially Airforce man that provides great info. However I am going through the start to finish of a VM competition as we speak with new products and issues.

I have made the following updates thus far. (1) Triangle Shooting Sports for loading port, C-Rums lifter, Radius Extractor cut, Shell stop tweeked and polished and Hand-guard trimmed at loading port area.

(2) Truglo Pro series magnum gobble dot sights added to rail without removing the OEM sights.

(3) Nordic extension but have choice between +4=12 or +5=13.

QUESTION 1) there is no mag clamp to fit VMC because of schroud on mag tube. I am trying to find a spacer or clamp. No Joy

My quadload is so easy now and haven’t even put in daily practice yet. Triangle (Benny Hill) did one hell of a job!!!!

I didn’t want to bend the barrel but it shoots 6” right at approx 50 yards. I had to drift XS sight so much that it’s sticking out quite a bit. I hope Truglo will have enough drift. Also I’m not sure what kind of lube Benny put on bolt and receiver, but it went from a Chevy to a Mercedes. It’s amazing. I’m gonna talk to him about it and do that!! I hope people chime in about this subject for all us that are just starting the process.

Good, I think we will learn from this thread.

Pics are helpful.

I think one of the big developments since the 2011-2015 timeframe you mention is that people are now opening up the bottom of the receiver into the bottom of the mag tube. For instance as shown by Keith Garcia's video on quad loading with Taran. I saw a photo of a VM receiver that had an extra fastener in the shell latch area, apparently to act on the shell latch and control its movement, but full detail is lacking.

• 4 weeks later...

Adamge, sorry for delay. This form would not allow pictures from my cell phone so I gave up. I’m going to download an app to resize and will give you pics. I can tell you that Benny Hill of Triangle Shooting Sports made my Vm Competition sing. Best money I ever spent 

Edited by 3gunNoob

• 3 weeks later...

Yep I run mine in several tube lengths. The carbon arms system alone gives my 8rds in the tube. I have extentions I run on it that extends the system to 8rds, 10rds, or 13rds depending on the match rules. I’ve never had a strike on the tube but I have scraped a lot of power off the extensions. 

457C951D-B68F-4E37-9C77-1C84B1452F0A.jpeg

Edited by ryan45kim

That is mine, I did all the work and it’s been great except when the cheap parts broke. I broke the hammer, firing pin, and firing pin spring. All Remington parts. I replaced them all with Bennelli parts and no problems since. I love my verasmax; Remington quality, that’s another story. That picture is from 2015 so over 5 years and a lot of flats through that gun. 

Edited by ryan45kim

Damn. You’re right about Remington. The gun store I bought from returned the first two. Three times a charm. Then Benny made it sing. Quadloading is wonderful with that huge loading port. I called and asked him what lube he uses because 1 1/2 months later, my bolt is still shiny and I haven cleaned it yet. Synthetic 10w-30 motor oil!!!!!! He’s been doing that with all guns. The oil doesn’t evaporate from extreme heat. UNBELIEVABLE. Lol

I,ve been shooting competitions for almost 20 years now, but I don’t shoot 3gun like I used to. For four years I shot a lot of 3 gun but in western PA there  isn’t much available so that was a lot of travel. thankfully we do have a lot of USPSA to keep me busy. I would shoot the pro am in Kentucky and the FNH championship in WV but FNH is no longer running and the pro am Is a 9 hour drive each way. I normally will shoot 1 or 2 3 gun matches each year but no big ones as the pro am is the closest big 3 gun match I’m aware of. Also try the 7/8oz Fiocchi slugs in your VM. They are by far my favorite slug. PS here is my port.

724D926C-1C5D-4C62-8A9A-B5A27A6B667B.jpeg

That’s good to know. Thanks for that. I’m gonna start getting ready for a falling steel match shotgun only. I’m 62 and 1 year of 3 gun. I need to speed up transitioning. For some reason when I view film of a match, I seem to pause after a load up and fist shot. It’s very frustrating. I hate the way it looks and I’m not even aware of it. I did advance from the bottom to just short of the 50% level. My advantage to shotgun falling steel is practicing quad loading till the cows come home and a private range to get my sight acquisition and transition speed. I love this sport!!!