Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone tried TULA primers before?

Nick_shoots_fast

In the pistols (mostly CZs) not a single issue.

In the AR15's we've had 4 or 5 duds  all in the same rifle, but the rifle wasn't mine and I didn't tear it down, clean it, examine or know if the firing pin was replaced later.

Oh, pistol primers for the pistols and small rifle primers for the AR15 ammo.

I have shot thousands of them. Extended firing pins are a must but i never had any issues. They all went pop. Stock parts are 100%, lightening the springs needs an EX FP for 100%. They are cheap and as hard as the CCI's i have used. They need a little extra seating pressure to make them as sensitive as possible. Knowing all of this to start with, i never had one not go off.

Edited by bowenbuilt

Name brand primers cost 3-3.2 cents each. Saving 0.2 -0.4 cents per round with crappy primers makes no sense. Penny wise and pound foolish. Spend money to enter and travel to matches and have a primer fail makes no sense.. Buy good stuff and pay attention when assembling it. 

51 minutes ago, Brooke said:

Name brand primers cost 3-3.2 cents each. Saving 0.2 -0.4 cents per round with crappy primers makes no sense. Penny wise and pound foolish. Spend money to enter and travel to matches and have a primer fail makes no sense.. Buy good stuff and pay attention when assembling it. 

51 minutes ago, Brooke said:

Nope. I can get Tula primers for $100 bucks a case and even less if I buy 3 or more cases at a time so...there’s that..

All I use in 9mm, .45ACP and .223/5.56.  Pistols are 1911s with stock firing pins and 17lb mainsprings.  Custom AR-15.  Only use SRMP and have never had any problems with them.  I do prime with a hand primer and so they are all seated well.

1 hour ago, ben b. said:

They worked great for me. I haven’t seen any for sale in a while; a friend told me they stopped importing them. 

I loved when they were copper-colored SR primers, always knew which AR brass was mine. 

Correct. Tula primers have not been available for a number of years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Forgot to give you guys a report back. I shot the 1k primers that I got from the December gun show. No hiccups and they all loaded great. So great that the gun show this past weekend I picked up 3k more!  Couldn’t pass up the $25 a 1k for great performance. I wouldn’t shoot them in a major match yet, I prefer cci, but I’ll use them for everything else. 

At least with my experience with Tula, I will be buying again and again. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 6:49 PM, Atlasguy321 said:

Picked some up at a gun show this weekend for really cheap. Wanted to know if they were any good. The dealer said he sells cases for $100 bucks which is a really sweet deal. 

Yes. They are good. However, I get literally zero failure to ignite issues with CCI, but I get around two failures to fire out of 2,000 TULA primers with a good deep hit. I only use them for practice or plinking. I use the CCI ones for competitions that I pay a lot of money to attend.