Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Pinned PCC Compensators

Cool.  I might tape just as an extra measure.  Does the solution dissolve the lead away or just make it easier to brush/chisel out?  With the linear comp, I can't really get anything in there that could scrub the inside walls....

MD-KVP-XLSLC28-3.jpg

Edited by MoRivera

IMPORTANT: Anyone contemplating using the peroxide/vinegar treatment should understand that the resultant waste contains lead acetate, which can be absorbed through the skin and cause acute lead poisoning. It is also toxic to wildlife. If you must use this concoction, work in a well-ventilated area, wear thick rubber gloves, and dispose of the waste responsibly - do not just dump it down the drain.

Edited by StealthyBlagga
12 hours ago, MoRivera said:

Cool.  I might tape just as an extra measure.  Does the solution dissolve the lead away or just make it easier to brush/chisel out?  With the linear comp, I can't really get anything in there that could scrub the inside walls....

MD-KVP-XLSLC28-3.jpg

It does dissolve some but mostly makes it easier to pick out. I put mine in a sealed container and put that container in my ultrasonic cleaner with water in it. Runs for about 20 min and its 90-95% cleaned of 22lr lead. The rest picks off fairly easy with a dental pick. Jacketed ammo is a whole lot cleaner so should take less time and effort.

10 hours ago, BRadcliffe said:

It does dissolve some but mostly makes it easier to pick out. I put mine in a sealed container and put that container in my ultrasonic cleaner with water in it. Runs for about 20 min and its 90-95% cleaned of 22lr lead. The rest picks off fairly easy with a dental pick. Jacketed ammo is a whole lot cleaner so should take less time and effort.

Only thing is that this and my other brakes/comps are pinned/welded to the barrel.  My MBX I can get to most of the inside with brushes et al....

IMG_2081.thumb.JPG.bdc198f3d3d0e86299346894585ca677.JPG

....but the linear comp in that earlier pic has the bigger inside hollow area. That's why I was hoping that it would dissolve and just flush out with gravity.

Edited by MoRivera