Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New popple holes,,,

texasdawg

I have been shooting my backup gun which has popple holes and my main gun, which is taking the holidays off, doesn't. I have found thru video that my #2 gun is flatter shooting by a noticeable amount.  With the same load and still makes power factor, albeit 4 Pf lower 168 vs. 172. So i did some research and found out that 2 x 3/16" holes is approximate the total area as the 3 x 1/8" holes in my #2 gun, so I decided to try popple holes in my main gun. I ordered some carbide end mills in 1/4" and 3/16" round end and flat end. And milled away,,, the end results:

I choose two individual holes verses a slot and holes cause it's less work - the only reason. I think the job could have been done in a drill press with a good vise. Will find out tomorrow if it works,,, there are a couple of variables that could make a difference but I have been looking for a reason to build a mid-length gun,,,

Popple holes.jpg

Mine is a 9mm. i had read that three 3/16" holes was good for 38 supers, but a little much for 9mms. With three holes in 9mm it seems to me that one has case filling problems, or at least powder choices become more limited and more important. I used two 3/16" holes, the same in area as 3 1/8" approximately. I'm shooting Major Pistol from Shooters World and I like it better than other powders I have tried,,, 9.7 grs does it for me and leaves room to put a bullet on top of it in the case,,,

I'm really interested to see what a difference the popple holes make. From the picture you took the gun looks the same as mine, is it a gans gun and did you get that gun on here? I know the guy i bought my gun from had 2 matching guns. So if the holes make a noticeable difference it should do the same on mine. Did you try aa#7 when you where testing different loads?

34 minutes ago, sean_stw said:

I'm really interested to see what a difference the popple holes make. From the picture you took the gun looks the same as mine, is it a gans gun and did you get that gun on here? I know the guy i bought my gun from had 2 matching guns.

Gans did a super job with 2 holes in my 38 SC. It really flatened it out but hit harder in my hand but that is no biggie. It took about .1 more AA7 to reach Major. I have been told by many shooters that my gun is much louder with the holes. Also, would not go back to shooting a barrel with no holes. Good luck.

Sean_stw, yes mine is a Gans and yes I believe it is the twin to yours. Mine is a solid shooter and have judiciously made changes to it. If it wasn't for the backup CK Arms gun shooting flatter I would not have even considered it,,, I will shoot it tomorrow and video to see the difference. Not sure how to get videos on here, but I may put them on utube and post links. It may be a few days what with Christmas and all,,,

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I have videos and it does show it shooting flatter with the two 3/16" popple holes in it.  It hits harder in the hand now. I am using 9.9gn of Shooters World Major Pistol powder. Im getting a 171pf with that load. I tried 3n38( hard to get enough in a 9mm case and not have splillage) which is nice but messy, and WAC, which is nice, until I tried 3n38 and Major Pistol. I think Major Pistol is a good compromise.

Unfortunately I seem to be incapable of getting the editing done to make large videos into snippets for posting. Im still working on it, but frustrated,,,

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, gng4life said:

Have you ever tried HS6? It's the best powder I have tried in 9Major and I think I have tried all of them except Major Pistol. That's my next powder to try and see how it runs.

That’s the powder I started with but it gets the gun way too hot in live fire practice and is extremely dirty. I switched to N340 and never looked back. 

On 12/23/2019 at 9:32 AM, texasdawg said:

Mine is a 9mm. i had read that three 3/16" holes was good for 38 supers, but a little much for 9mms. With three holes in 9mm it seems to me that one has case filling problems, or at least powder choices become more limited and more important. I used two 3/16" holes, the same in area as 3 1/8" approximately. I'm shooting Major Pistol from Shooters World and I like it better than other powders I have tried,,, 9.7 grs does it for me and leaves room to put a bullet on top of it in the case,,,

There is a significant difference between these:

• 2x 3/16" holes (.055) is 49% more area than 3x 1/8" holes(.037).
  • 3x 3/16 holes (.083) is 225% more area then 3x 1/8" holes(.037).

I opened up my CK open guns to 3x 3/16". Like how this shoots a lot better and would do it again.

AA7 & MP are great powders for 9M. No issues at all getting enough powder into case to make PF with 115's.

9MM case holds around 13.2 grains full to top of AA7. My normal charge with MG115JHP's is 10.9 (1500 fps). It's a pretty full case, but not compressed either.