Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady factory or Mr Bulletfeeder?

Depends on caliber. I loved the Hornady feed/seat die in 223. But if you run a bunch of calibers, MBF - no question. The Hornady feed dies in pistol are a PITA. People will tell you they work great with all sorts of polishing and work. Why bother????? 

I have used both for pistol (9mm and .45) and the MR Bullet feeder die is just plain better, it just works.

The Hornady one is too complicated, it works pretty well with FMJ bullets but with plated/coated or lead? Save yourself the aggravation and get the MR.

I had to keep adjusting, cleaning and messing with the Hornady one until it was working again, the MR is just set it and forget it.

The brand of press has no relevance to the brand of bullet feeder, it's all the same principle. A shell plate goes up, case receives a bullet, shell plate goes down :P

I have no experience with any rifle bullet feeders btw.

Edited by xrayfk05

The Hornady die does not work reliably with most plated bullets. It would work like 90% with SNS coated bullets with some tweaking. It has worked fine with FMJ for me. I did try a Mr Bulletfeeder die with the Hornady bullet collator but was not able to make that combo work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got the Hornady die to work with posted bullets, but as mentioned took a little tweaking and polishing. Used their gravity Fed bullet tubes as I couldn't spring for a feeder at the time. MBF is being used now and after setup seems to require a lot less tinkering, but also much higher price.

I tried for a week to make the Hornady die work and got it from "didn't work at all" to "hey, it works, oops, maybe not".

Gave up and bought the MBF die. Set it up per instructions. Worked from the start. I now have three of them and have never had an issue.

I tried for a week to make the Hornady die work and got it from "didn't work at all" to "hey, it works, oops, maybe not".

Gave up and bought the MBF die. Set it up per instructions. Worked from the start. I now have three of them and have never had an issue.

So, you use the Hornady feeder with the MBF die?

MBF works fine on an LnL, makes it a little crowded is all. Which makes adjusting PM height a bit more involved. Watch for contact with powder measure when the PM station is empty, it can bind and drop a pile of bullets.

What I've heard of the Hornady echo what's posted here. And they say it's very noisy too. Have read the MBF die can be made to work with the Hornady collator.

17 hours ago, FWSixgunner said:

So, you use the Hornady feeder with the MBF die?

Negative. I do not currently have a bullet feeder. It was on my Christmas list but Santa didn't come through.

I use the MBF bullet feeder die as a manual "bullet dropper".

So rather than placing the bullet on the case with my fingers I can mindlessly place bullets in the die and let it do the dirty work. 

It is much faster for me to place a bullet that way. It holds about six 9mm bullets.

When I do buy a bullet feeder it will be either the MBF or one of the 3D printed alternatives. Based upon feedback I've received the Hornady feeder is not a consideration.

Edited by ddc

Negative. I do not currently have a bullet feeder. It was on my Christmas list but Santa didn't come through.

I use the MBF bullet feeder die as a manual "bullet dropper".
So rather than placing the bullet on the case with my fingers I can mindlessly place bullets in the die and let it do the dirty work. 
It is much faster for me to place a bullet that way. It holds about six 9mm bullets.

When I do buy a bullet feeder it will be either the MBF or one of the 3D printed alternatives. Based upon feedback I've received the Hornady feeder is not a consideration.

Cool. The main reason I want a feeder is so I don’t have to do it with my fingers and try to keep them from tipping.

3 hours ago, FWSixgunner said:

Cool. The main reason I want a feeder is so I don’t have to do it with my fingers and try to keep them from tipping.

The Mr. Bulletfeeder powder through expander die does a nice job of belling the case mouth so that bullets sit straight. I've put them in all three of my Dillon powder measures.

(At least for pistol calibers they work great; haven't used them for rifle.)

• 1 month later...

Wow, i`ve had zero issues with the hornady bullet feeder dies. Have them on all my presses. (9mm 357 40cal 44mag 45acp).

I`ve run numerous Lead - Plated - Jacketed, and have had zero issues. Simple quick adjustment, never a hiccup during reloading.

I guess i dont see where the problem is with the product itself. Its hardly complicated. I followed their instructions, and they work perfectly fine, for me.

The only thing i`ve found, was if i load the tube full of 9mm 147gr & 357 158gr bullets, sometimes it pops one out of the die just before i put the last 4 or 5 in the tube.

So, i put a empty case in the press, raise the shell plate up to the top, the empty case holds the bullets right there until i`m done putting the last few bullets in the tube.

I dunno, maybe the problem is more with the indian`s, and not the arrow`s.

You're going to learn that the "Indian's" on this board have a lot of collective experience. Just because something works for you, in your setup, doesn't mean it works well in all applications.

Edited by 4n2t0

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 8:02 PM, 4n2t0 said:

You're going to learn that the "Indian's" on this board have a lot of collective experience. Just because something works for you, in your setup, doesn't mean it works well in all applications.

Well, i`m guessing by your statement that i dont have much experience. Is 50yrs reloading experience enough? I dont know why people are having such problems with them. I have several of the hornady bullet feeder dies, (and many presses) and they all run perfectly fine with any bullets i`ve used in them. So i guess your right, they work fine, for me.

Edited by vince

On 12/22/2019 at 8:11 PM, DJRyan13 said:

Depends on caliber. I loved the Hornady feed/seat die in 223. But if you run a bunch of calibers, MBF - no question. The Hornady feed dies in pistol are a PITA. People will tell you they work great with all sorts of polishing and work. Why bother????? 

I`ve never polished any of mine. They work just fine.

7 hours ago, vince said:

Well, i`m guessing by your statement that i dont have much experience. Is 50yrs reloading experience enough? I dont know why people are having such problems with them. I have several of the hornady bullet feeder dies, (and many presses) and they all run perfectly fine with any bullets i`ve used in them. So i guess your right, they work fine, for me.

What are you talking about? Who questioned your reloading experience?

Again, just because something works for you, in your setup, doesn't mean it works well in all applications.

Edited by 4n2t0

14 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

What are you talking about? Who questioned your reloading experience?

Again, just because something works for you, in your setup, doesn't mean it works well in all applications.

Understood, i`m good with it at this point. Not really looking to argue anyway ;)