Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Setup: S1050 or RL1100

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Drmike said:

I have reloaded for over 30yrs but have been reloading 40sw (mainly) and 9mm on my xl650 extensively since getting into IPSC about a year ago and have been frustrated with the number of rounds that fail the case gauge.  Switching to the Lee U die and factory crimp die has helped, but really increases the effort and I have had a lot of index ring and even shell plate breakage (2) which I believe is due to having the U die screwed down far enough to remove the Glock bulge in my range pick up brass.  I also frequently have crushed brass at the U die station due to tight base of die to feed into.  I am on the wait list for a RL1100 in 40SW and am considering the Redding Comp Pro dies.  Will this sort out my problems?   Any thoughts?

On my 1050, the first stage is a normal sizing and decapping die.  The second stage is the Lee Undersize die.  I did it this way because going straight to the Lee die the 'effort' was notable.  The effort is much smoother.  I it pretty rare that my rounds do not fit the case gauge.  Additionally, my Nowlin barrel is fairly tight.  I do chamber check my major match ammo. 

I received approximately 8 kitty liter containers of LEO brass - glock bulge.  My reloading procedure eliminates the problem of the bulge.

The brass is not stressed as suggested, many many reloads of the same brass.

On 12/22/2019 at 3:49 PM, ltdmstr said:

I would disagree on the Lee U die.  A lot of those will size the case down way more than is necessary to prevent bullet setback.  I use Redding carbide dies on all my machines and they work fine.  And I don't have the muffin top like you get with the U die.  As for the 1100, they are an improvement over the Super, but still have some drawbacks.  The main one being a very long stroke, which appears to be even longer than the Super.  That's one of the reasons many prefer the older RLs.

We all are entitled to our opinions.  That makes America Great.

My brass is not excessively worked.  I have never had a set back.

The muffin top is cosmetic and does NOT have an adverse effect on the ACCURACY of my SVs.

One of my reloading resources was the US Technical Advisor to VV powder.  So between him, my dad, my friends, and me; I suspect we have  more than a century of reloading experience.  My experience is just different than yours.

On 12/22/2019 at 8:21 PM, Sarge said:

I think that’s speculative. I’m sure other dies prevent setback but the Udie is KNOWN to fix it. I have seen no difference in accuracy with the Udie. I have also reloaded the same undersized brass countless times with no unique ill effects.

Yeppers.

3 hours ago, pjb45 said:

On my 1050, the first stage is a normal sizing and decapping die.  The second stage is the Lee Undersize die.  I did it this way because going straight to the Lee die the 'effort' was notable.  The effort is much smoother.  I it pretty rare that my rounds do not fit the case gauge.  Additionally, my Nowlin barrel is fairly tight.  I do chamber check my major match ammo. 

I received approximately 8 kitty liter containers of LEO brass - glock bulge.  My reloading procedure eliminates the problem of the bulge.

The brass is not stressed as suggested, many many reloads of the same brass.

I'm glad you like the U die and it works for you. But I'm a bit curious as to why if you have an Nowlin barrel that's fairly tight, you need a U-die.  I have Nowlin barrels in most of my 1911s and 2011s because I did my gunsmith training with John Nowlin probably 25+ years ago and have used their barrels ever since.  My guns with Nowlin barrels, the fired brass drops into a case gage without even being sized.  Of course I still run them through a sizing die when I reload, to make them uniform and to decap.  But I have no idea why you'd need a U die if you have a custom barrel with tight chamber, let alone resize twice.

16 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

I'm glad you like the U die and it works for you. But I'm a bit curious as to why if you have an Nowlin barrel that's fairly tight, you need a U-die.  I have Nowlin barrels in most of my 1911s and 2011s because I did my gunsmith training with John Nowlin probably 25+ years ago and have used their barrels ever since.  My guns with Nowlin barrels, the fired brass drops into a case gage without even being sized.  Of course I still run them through a sizing die when I reload, to make them uniform and to decap.  But I have no idea why you'd need a U die if you have a custom barrel with tight chamber, let alone resize twice.

Rounds fired from other guns that one reloads for their guns with tight chambers need a tight sizing die.  

Now if one uses only new brass and/or brass only ever fired in their guns it is a non-issue.

15 hours ago, Drmike said:

pjb45, are you saying that you put the u die in the swager station?.

There are two stations before the priming station.

First station gets a regular decap sizing die.

The section gets the Lee die.

I do not swage pistol brass.

i believe the 1050 has a swage bar.  I disconnected it.

For 223/5.56 I purchased the Super Swage.

On 12/25/2019 at 12:24 PM, pskys2 said:

Rounds fired from other guns that one reloads for their guns with tight chambers need a tight sizing die.  

Now if one uses only new brass and/or brass only ever fired in their guns it is a non-issue.

Correct.

All brass gets treated the same way.  No adjustments necessary to differentiate between once fired or range brass.  

But I have no idea why you'd need a U die if you have a custom barrel with tight chamber, let alone resize twice.   PSHYS2 explanation suffices. 

6 hours ago, pjb45 said:

There are two stations before the priming station.

First station gets a regular decap sizing die.

The section gets the Lee die.

I do not swage pistol brass.

i believe the 1050 has a swage bar.  I disconnected it.

For 223/5.56 I purchased the Super Swage.

Not directed at pjb45 but just a general PSA for those that use the MBF...

If you bypass/remove the swager/backup die, and you are also using a MBF you will likely want to go ahead and use the MBF supplied powder funnel over the Dillon funnel.

Normally you don't need it (the MBF Funnel - as it's not super friendly and tends to be stick when releasing brass) with the 1050 since the swager/backup die essentially does the same for you already so its mostly redundant with the "normal" 1050 die setup.  But if you yank the Dillon backup die for whatever reason, best to go ahead and drop the MBF powder funnel back in if you are auto feeding bullets :).

I personally don't swage most pistol brass either - for 45acp I have a small/large primer hole detector/buzzer in place of the swage rod, for 10mm it's not needed as I only use my own Starline 10mm brass.  Although for 9mm I do use the SP swage rod, partly to feel primers that didn't get punched out sucessfully, partly just in case I get a Nato case since I use so much mixed brass for 9mm range fodder.

Here is the dies I am leaning towards:

The Optimized Die Pack Includes: Mighty Armory Decap Die, Mighty Armory Swage Hold Down Die, Redding Competition Re-Size Die, Lee Precision Universal Expansion Die, Redding Competition Seating Die w/ Micrometer, & Redding Competition Crimp Die w/ Micrometer.

Press I am leaning towards a RL1100 38 SC with spare parts kit and a conversation kit 40/10.

Add later:
- Bulletfeeder (definitely)
- Autodrive (maybe)
- Digital Powder Check (maybe)
- BulletSense (maybe)
- SwageSense (maybe)
- Case Processing Machine (Glock 40 S&W fired cases) (maybe)

I like the idea of a second press, but got to start somewhere.

Edited by cperazza

1 hour ago, cperazza said:

Here is the dies I am leaning towards:

The Optimized Die Pack Includes: Mighty Armory Decap Die, Mighty Armory Swage Hold Down Die, Redding Competition Re-Size Die, Lee Precision Universal Expansion Die, Redding Competition Seating Die w/ Micrometer, & Redding Competition Crimp Die w/ Micrometer.

You are spending literally several hundred dollars on dies that are not needed to make high quality pistol ammo. I would use all of that money on an MBF and buy LEE dies

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

You are spending literally several hundred dollars on dies that are not needed to make high quality pistol ammo. I would use all of that money on an MBF and buy LEE dies

Or at least Hornady die with Lee FCD (as needed). 

On 12/28/2019 at 11:06 AM, Sarge said:

On 12/28/2019 at 12:35 PM, DJRyan13 said:

Or at least Hornady die with Lee FCD (as needed). 

Fellas...I am reconsidering my die selection as well as press selection based on some conversations and the feedback on this thread.

28 minutes ago, cperazza said:

Fellas...I am reconsidering my die selection as well as press selection based on some conversations and the feedback on this thread.

👍I’m just a PM away if you have questions. 😊

My biggest debate right now is RL 1100 vs the Mark 7 Evolution...

In order to bring the S1050/RL1100 to the Mark 7 Evolution, I will be paying for a Mark 7.

- A few of you have already given me your feedback...anyone else has feedback/comments on my statement above?

For reloading cartridges there are 2 types of reloaders, the 1st who wants to reload while spending the minimum, and who also makes quality cartridges and who does not see the point of spending more and the 2nd one who likes to reload and who pays for beautiful tools, I am part of the 2nd case with an RL 1050 and 6 heads with the tools and powder dosers mounted for 6 different calibers:
9mm
38 sp
357 m
40sw
45 acp
223 with mr bullet feeder
I have changed caliber hundreds of times, less than 10 minutes to go from one caliber to another
and finally 44 mag on 550 Dillon and other rifle calibers
But when the EVO Press came out I ordered it in 9mm it was not necessary but too beautiful it is a jewel, and a pleasure to use it.

The RL1050/1100 should be reliable and easy to work with, once you get accustomed to its nuances (same as for any other complex tool).  Changeovers aren't overly costly and not too time consuming.  Dillon is very responsive to questions and parts needs, and parts cost is reasonable (and sometimes free).  Both load ammo, and both can be automated.  I have both, and considering reputation, reliability, and responsiveness, I'd go with Dillon. 

Of the Dillon machines, the older RL1050s are the best design.  Second would be the RL1100.  The downside to the 1100 is the added height/travel of the toolhead and the LONG lever rotation.  Some people think that's not a big deal, but if you're loading 1k+ at a crack or a couple thousand in a day, it definitely makes a difference.  So I would check that before you decide to buy one.  The S1050 is a distant third due to the design.  As for where to buy an RL1050, there were two listed in the classifieds last week.  They looked to be in nice shape, fully setup (one was 9 and the other 40) and priced very reasonably at $1500.  So you need to keep an eye out and act fast when you find one.

Edited by ltdmstr

Being that I am new to the “Dillon Big Boy Reloading Machines - the 1050/1100 series ( having loaded on Dillon 550 and 650 machines for 10+ years ) I decided to go for the RL1100 over the RL1050 or Super 1050 and for me here are the reasons why.....

1- Many people who have years and years and tens of thousands or rounds of experience on this series of machines have said that the RL1050 was a superior machine over the Super1050 and I wanted to purchase a NEW dillon machine and to find a new RL1050 today would be all but impossible.....

2 - Dillon identified that the RL1100 was going to address many of the issues that end users expressed as being “problems” with the Super 1050 so why not wait for the RL1100 to be released...

3 - Say what you want but Steve Dillon was NOT going to release the RL1100 until it was ready and his team could support it so yes delays occurred but I would rather wait vs. having a RL1100 six months earlier only to have to deal with “possible issues”....

4 - Dillon RDE was running a machine on site 24/7 to identify the machines weak points and as these issues came up they addressed and FIXED these issues before the recent release....Dillon also worked hard to source as many of the parts used on the RL1100 from US suppliers, whenever possible so for that I say KUDOS to Dillon.

5 - Yes the stroke on the RL1100 is 1.3” longer than the stroke on the Super 1050 but this is because Dillon went back to the large roller cam that should eliminate powder spillage from the unit hitting “bumps” in the multiple processes that this machine is managing with every pull of the handle....and with a reduced force of almost 12% required to cycle the RL1100 over the Super 1050 (this figure is an estimate based on preliminary testing conducted at Dillon) why not give this 60 year old arm and shoulder a 12% break in the strength required to cycle this machine.....

6 - And finally say what you want but for my money I want to invest my dollars in what Steve Dillon and his HUGE team of VERY Smart Engineers that designed these machines to be the best they can be...Think about it for a minute - Thousands of hours of work by some of the smartest men and ladies in the world go to work everyday at Dillon Precision RDE to do one thing - Figure out how to build a better reloading system for all of us to enjoy....Deduct the cost of the raw materials used to build a machine in this category and the small margin of profit per machine that each of us pays is a very very small price considering the total braintrust’s  of knowledge, experience, failures, and mostly their successes in a device that performs so many different functions with ONE handle pull....

“Impressive” is not even a good word to describe what the Dillon Precision team has accomplished over the years and with technology becoming better and better everyday I decided to invest my hard earned dollars in the latest technology by the smartest people in the industry....

Do not be hating on me based on my opinion - just think about the points I have made when you decide what machine to buy and before you put comments in writing about everything that is wrong with Dillon machines When many times a phone call is all it takes to get an issued resolved....Mark