Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Use pre-load ring in Taccom 3-stage buffer?

IGNORE!  The third stage spring is stiff particularly with a small charging handle.

I'm putting together a PCC for Steel Challenge using a Wiland barrel.  I'll use 145gr, 125PF loads just for improved cycling.  I haven't been to the range yet, but I find that with the pre-load ring in place it's impossible to lock the bolt back manually, simply not enough travel available.  I don't need the pre-load with the loads I'll be running, but is what I'm seeing normal?  Obviously, I've got a standard 7" carbine buffer tube and if I leave the 3rd stage cushion out the bolt will lock back (Bolt is Taccom Extreme). 

Edited by RickT

With that load you are running, don’t use the preload ring......and if you see that you are getting stove pipes, it’s probably due to the fact that with the low powered loads the recoil spring is still to much and you may need to either start clipping coils or find a lower power recoil spring.

24 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

With that load you are running, don’t use the preload ring......and if you see that you are getting stove pipes, it’s probably due to the fact that with the low powered loads the recoil spring is still to much and you may need to either start clipping coils or find a lower power recoil spring.

Thanks.  I only had the preload ring in there in order to start testing with factory ammo, but I do prefer to be able to lock the bolt back so I'll start with loads of a normal PF measured through the 5" barrel on my 1911, nearly the same length as the Wiland barrel.  Since I'm also using Endomags I have no idea what the ejection will look like, but I can easily bump up the PF.  The PCC is just for fun so I'm not going to explore the PF floor unlike the loads for my 1911.

Today's range session was a big success.  The PCC ran fine with all three loads I tried; ejection was never a problem.  I was very surprised that it ran with the softest load that will run in my 9mm 1911, 115gr Bayou; 3.3gr SP; 1.145" OAL.  This was very soft in the PCC with strong ejection and even a surprise LRBHO.  Of course I left the pre-load spacer off.  The bolt carrier weight is still in place; I'll need to better understand the function of the weight before I consider removing same.  Since I borrowed my CMMG receiver for this build I can't do a direct comparison until I put the CMMG upper back together with a new receiver.