Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A few more reamer questions

Munch

Hey guys, I have several 9 mm pistols and always struggle with the OAL with the cast bullets I load. Some ex. are Tanfoglio Witness (small frame), Canik Tristar P120, Springfield R/O etc. I am considering a reamer to clean some of these up but have some questions.

Will the chamber reamer such as Manson,Clymer help with the leade much or is it better to try and go straight to the throating reamer or is it better to use both? Sure would be less expensive for just one.

Is the fixed pilot usually sufficient for various 9 mm barrells?

For the guns I mentioned does anyone think I would need carbide?

Appreciate the help

I had both of my 9mm Open barrel throated to 1.165" using a Clymer reamer, without lengthening the chamber.  Had the same done to a 45 barrel.  Can't answer your other questions, but I see no need for carbide.  Barrels are not that hard.

My CZ Tactical Sport was having problems with the slide not closing completely on some types of bullets. I reamed it with a standard Manson HSS  9mm chamber reamer. I did not make the chamber any longer, but it cut some material ahead of the case mouth, which is just what I was wanting. It now eats everything. The accuracy and group size is the same as before. Many guns come from the factory needing that done.

If the barrel is bare carbon or stainless, a regular reamer is fine. If it is chrome lined or has a coating, you will need a carbide reamer. The chrome or coating will ruin a HSS reamer in seconds. Some coatings are a different color than the steel, some are clear. It can be hard to determine at times.

Edited by Toolguy

I would like to use the standard chamber reamer also as I think the Range Office chamber itself could use it. Headspace is good just a little  small diameter wise. They all could use a little help on the leade (throat) end if I could get that with the standard reamer I kill two birds with one stone if possible.

Edited by Munch

zzt, Do you think the Clymer gives more leade on their chamber reamer than Manson etc or are they all about the same?

Mach1soldier, What is a ballpark price for carbide?

Shred, Yea grinding the pilot would not  be a good thing. I think I read that about the Shadow 2. Not sure on the Tang Witness or Canik Tristar?

3 hours ago, Munch said:

zzt, Do you think the Clymer gives more leade on their chamber reamer than Manson etc or are they all about the same?

Mach1soldier, What is a ballpark price for carbide?

Shred, Yea grinding the pilot would not  be a good thing. I think I read that about the Shadow 2. Not sure on the Tang Witness or Canik Tristar?

No idea about the Canik, but I had to use the Clymer throating reamer I ground the pilot down on a tool and cutter grinder for the Shadow 2 to do a couple of Tanfoglio Lim Pros.

12 hours ago, Munch said:

A local gunsmith (who throated several of my barrels) and members of these forums say yes.