Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want to start idpa

Dirtchevy841

You don't need a "stripper" magazine, just load one with 11 rounds to start with. 

Best to mark it. 

Reload magazines get 10.

That is 10+1 to start, 10 in reserve, two allowed; no more, no less unless called for in the CoF.  

Stages or strings in a multiple string stage will not require more than 18 hits. So you have 31 tries to get 18 hits. 

Edited by Jim Watson

8 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Looking to start shooting idpa. Have a brand new g17 gen 3 in my safe. What division would best suit the g17. How many mags can I use and how many rounds in the mags. 

SSP

A holster.

Two magazine pouches on your belt.

10 rounds in those mags for reloads.

11 rounds in a third magazine in your front pocket. Load this one to begin each stage.

(unless it’s an unloaded start. Then all of your mags are loaded to exactly 10 rounds.)

26 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

SSP

A holster.

Two magazine pouches on your belt.

10 rounds in those mags for reloads.

11 rounds in a third magazine in your front pocket. Load this one to begin each stage.

(unless it’s an unloaded start. Then all of your mags are loaded to exactly 10 rounds.)

Thanks. 

5 hours ago, davsco said:

at each stage, let everyone know you're new to idpa and they'll walk you thru what you need to do (and don't do).

5 hours ago, davsco said:

at each stage, let everyone know you're new to idpa and they'll walk you thru what you need to do (and don't do).

A BIG +1! As a former IDPA SO and MA class shooter, it has become very obvious to me that the other shooters are more than willing to help a newcomer. Sometimes the advice flys a bit too fast, but the other shooters are well-intentioned and will do what they can to help. As a new shooter, they can be your best friends. 

6 hours ago, davsco said:

I heard it’s a little different than when I shoot uspsa but just looking for a little more shooting time. 

1 hour ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

I heard it’s a little different than when I shoot uspsa but just looking for a little more shooting time. 

yeah same safety rules.  now that idpa has fault lines a lot of the crap has been removed.  generally everything has to be shot outside in (as you see them / slice the pie) or near to far, just ask regarding target order at each stage.  if you have ammo in the gun or ammo in the mag, you have to stow any discarded mags vs letting them hit the ground; easy fix is just to burn a round or two instead.  it's all fun!

34 minutes ago, davsco said:

if there's way too much tension/retention on your draw with the fobus holster, you can drill out that rivet and put in a bolt, screw and washer that will let you lessen the tension.

Yeah did that already. Way to tight. 

Fobus holsters don't have the best reputation for consistency in their retention. But if it works for you to get started then that's all that matters. As you continue in the sport you will see plenty of other options that people are using. 

On 12/22/2019 at 8:10 PM, ajblack said:

Fobus holsters don't have the best reputation for consistency in their retention. But if it works for you to get started then that's all that matters. As you continue in the sport you will see plenty of other options that people are using. 

Yeah I am all in with limited in uspsa. This is just something for me to shoot a little more 😂