Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Lubecktech

S&W R8 Accessories

I have a used R8 coming and need holster and moonclip suggestions.

What is a good brass and mooncilp combination for general purpose competition 38 short colt loads?

Has anyone tried the Speed Beez 8 shot .38 moons??

Edited by Lubecktech

The Speed beez were the first I tried. They are super thin. For short colt brass, star line is the way to go. I like the blued TK moons. Revolver Supply 25s are my second choice.

Edited by Mcfoto

Star line short colt. TK to match; I went the stainless route. North Mountain 4-post carrier; stacks two. VV N320 behind 160gr Bayou RN; super soft and very cool, like in temperature.
I changed the front sight gold bead to a fiber optic; easier for these old eyes to find.
Hogue Big Butt grip fits me; YMMV.
RaceMaster holster.
You’ll love it.

Starline Brass

TK or Revo supply 025's

I use a DAA Race Master 

Starline short colt brass & TK clips to match.  BMT loader/unloader, SDM fiber front sight, Hogue rubber grip, did additional chamfering on the cylinder, home made moon clip holder, added

a Raptor Engineering red dot sight mount to classify in Steel Challenge OSR division, Blade-Tech holster chopped for a quicker draw.

Here are some before & after pics:

holster before and after.jpg

2019-12-20 08_39_29-Blade-Tech holster 8-15-2012.jpg (1899×1915).png

Raptor red dot mount.jpg

post-6562-1209795416.jpg

32 minutes ago, Lubecktech said:

Can I reload 38 short colt with my existing Lee 357 dies possibly using a 9mm die to expand and charge the case??

Other way around. You use a .38/.357 sizing/ decapping die and 9mm for the rest.

Edited by Mcfoto

Is there any advantage to using Starline brass over trimmed 38spl brass as long as the 38spl brass was a brand which fits my moonclips?

You are best served with new loading dies.  Lee now has 38 Short Colt Die set.  Works Great.

6 hours ago, Lubecktech said:

Is there any advantage to using Starline brass over trimmed 38spl brass as long as the 38spl brass was a brand which fits my moonclips?

That is not always going to work as most 38 spcl. brass is tapered on the inside and gets thicker the deeper in you go.  When I tried several different head stamps r-p, ww, Fed. when they were cut down to short colt length I swelled the case when searing the bullet. No yes you can cut them down to a long colt or mid colt length and those will work, but it's a lot of effort. I would just buy 1-2000 starline short colt and be done with it. You get your bras back and you will get many cycles out of the brass.

6 hours ago, GMM50 said:

You are best served with new loading dies.  Lee now has 38 Short Colt Die set.  Works Great.

You can make Fed and R-p brass into long colt without problems, at least none for me.

BUT

just buy the Starline brass and be done with it.  Stuff lasts forever

I tried Remington 38 special cut to 38 super length. Didn't work out so well, I think I was into the case taper and I got at least one keyhole per cylinder.

I shoot full length 38 special, it doesn't hold my reloads back much. I'm comfortably under 2.5 seconds when I've been practicing. Unless you want to pop for a bunch short colt brass, it's not worth fooling with.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I also tried cutting down RP .38 Sepcial brass to Mid and had issues with the internal case taper. I ended up cutting down a batch of Federal .38 brass to mid length and it worked well.

3 hours ago, Intel6 said:

I also tried cutting down RP .38 Sepcial brass to Mid and had issues with the internal case taper. I ended up cutting down a batch of Federal .38 brass to mid length and it worked well.

Is there some advantage time/money/performance to using cut down brass vs short colt/long colt?  Or even using regular 38 special brass from starline?

Maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age, but I'd rather shoot, chase the wife, or wander around the woods than spend time trimming brass.

I know there is an advantage with using starline brass and tight moonclips, TK or Hearthco.  I've even used tight moonclips with starline 357 magnums (full loads for fun) and had no issues.  The only issues I could forsee is in extraction as the rounds had no wobbles and fell right into the cylinder.

4 hours ago, Tom Freeman said:

I cut down starline 38 Long Colt down to 38 Super length.  Works awesome.

you cut down starline cases from 1.00" to .900 of an inch? Why put in all that work for so little difference ? 

41 minutes ago, alecmc said:

you cut down starline cases from 1.00" to .900 of an inch? Why put in all that work for so little difference ? 

It was minimal work.  Using a Dillon trimmer and a CH4D die, it went fast.

The bullet I was using at the time, Montana Gold 142 FMJ, didnt get along with Short Colt brass.  So I shortened Long Colt brass as much as I could before the base of the bullet wouldnt bulge the case.

So far the best deal I have found on 38 short colt brass is at Midway where i got 200 Starline  for $50 shipped.

Anyone know of any better deals??

Direct from Starline $157.00 per 1000 free shipping. This will last you a lifetime. 

17 hours ago, Tom Freeman said:

It was minimal work.  Using a Dillon trimmer and a CH4D die, it went fast.

The bullet I was using at the time, Montana Gold 142 FMJ, didnt get along with Short Colt brass.  So I shortened Long Colt brass as much as I could before the base of the bullet wouldnt bulge the case.

I ran into that with Bayou 160 coated RN.  I just had to load out to 1.180" and the problem went away.  I could've gone out to 1.200" if needed.  The issue is the web at the base doesn't seem to be as consistent in the Starline Case (this may be a common issue too and in longer cases it just doesn't show up) , or an occassional build up of coating/lack of sizing?  Since it was fairly common and got worse the deeper I seated the bullet I figured the case was the problem.  

With Jacketed being more uniform just reinforces my thoughts.  I'm pretty sure at least one top shooter uses that bullet and SC cases, loaded in bulk, and I never heard him complain about it.  

But if it makes one more engaged, shoot more (i.e. practice) and feel confident in their gear I'm all in favor of it and they are on the right track!

On 12/21/2019 at 1:38 PM, alecmc said:

I agree, cutting down Long Colt doesn't achieve much.  I know guys who get .38 special cases and cut them down to .9 because the .38 were cheap and plentiful.  However, it is much easier to just buy Starline Long Colt, and load with 3.0-3.3 grains of Hodgdon Clays and a 170 grain Billy Bullet.  

I got a speedbeez holster, TK moonclips, Starline Short Colt brass, and North Mountain moonclip holder. I run the same charge and powder for bullet weight as my 9mm and like that combo. In an N-Frame it just soaks up recoil.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk