Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory Ported Barrel

bigdawgbeav

Looking at a wheelgun to start using in SC.  ISR states that barrel porting is not allowed, but is there an exception if the porting is done at the factory and is the only version of that model?  For example: the Taurus 692 comes factory standard with a ported barrel.  There is no option NOT to have a ported barrel.  Would this mean I would be unable to use in ISR?

2 hours ago, Frozen said:

Can you use a Rimfire revolver? Or do you still draw from the holster ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure you can use a rimfire revolver BUT you would fire from low ready as with all rimfire and you would be in RFPO or RFPI depending on the sights ( not revolver ) so it would be pretty hard to be completive against the automatics and their triggers.  Still if for fun only then go for it.  There is a guy that shoots several majors and uses lever action carbines and single action revolvers... old Cowboy shooter so its his gimmick

If your looking to shoot ISR or OSR in Steel Challenge. I wouldn't worry about a ported barrel for either. With no power factor, you can load ammo that recoils like a rimfire. I shoot 100pf ammo, with zero issues.

10 hours ago, UFO said:

If your looking to shoot ISR or OSR in Steel Challenge. I wouldn't worry about a ported barrel for either. With no power factor, you can load ammo that recoils like a rimfire. I shoot 100pf ammo, with zero issues.

I don't think that he is worried about needing a ported barrel, I think he is  looking at the Taurus and they don't have many, if any non-ported revolvers, they are much less expensive to buy, but won't fit many of the gun games we play in. I'm thinking he should look for some pre-owned S&Ws or Rugers to shoot ISR and OSR in SC.

I know it isn't ISR, but couldn't you shoot it in PD? It should be approved to be shot in PD. Per the approved Production gun list. Barrel porting is not a compensator, right?

Taurus
www.taurususa.com
Compensated Models not allowed.
Any DAO or DA/SA revolver with a barrel length of up to 8.5"
is approved. All listed models must be DAO, DA/SA or with a
decocker only.

I know it isn't ISR, but couldn't you shoot it in PD? It should be approved to be shot in PD. Per the approved Production gun list. Barrel porting is not a compensator, right?

Taurus
www.taurususa.com
Compensated Models not allowed.
Any DAO or DA/SA revolver with a barrel length of up to 8.5"
is approved. All listed models must be DAO, DA/SA or with a
decocker only.

I already have a prod classification. I'm trying to get 3 more for Club 13... The 2 Revo divisions are in those 3.

As for used, hard to find 9mm revolvers or 8 shot 38 special cut for moon clips

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk