Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AMG Labs Timer - Bluetooth Interfaced to Tablets

BillChunn

The push mode works fine in my Fire 8 tablets and I have used it for practice but wouldn't use it in a match. I set the sensitivity up enough for a .22 rifle with no comp and SV ammo so when you rack the bolt or change a mag the timer hears that and adds it to the previous run. It doesn't stop recording what it hears until the next beep and starts over again. It's much better to have the scorekeeper pull the time after the stop plate is hit.

7 minutes ago, euxx said:

As for BT push... Alex, will correct me if I'm wrong but the only difference it makes is that timer pushes data over the connected link when new shot is detected and when timer is started (GO button is pushed) and when timer is stopped (M or arrow buttons are pushed while timer was listening). Other than that, the push mode doesn't change how timer is connected.

Correct, Push mode merely changes the behavior whether timers gives out data in response to external request or sends data out after internal event. In both cases BT needs to connected so indeed, Push mode has no effect how timer is connected.

29 minutes ago, Gregg K said:

The push mode works fine in my Fire 8 tablets and I have used it for practice but wouldn't use it in a match. I set the sensitivity up enough for a .22 rifle with no comp and SV ammo so when you rack the bolt or change a mag the timer hears that and adds it to the previous run. It doesn't stop recording what it hears until the next beep and starts over again. It's much better to have the scorekeeper pull the time after the stop plate is hit.

That would be my recommendation too.

Though RO can stop string on the timer by pushing M or either of the arrow buttons when competitor finished shooting. I'd recommend doing that even if BT push option is turned off.

And even then you can skip/remove some shots from the downloaded string in PractiScore app for Android.

See details at https://blog.practiscore.com/android-app-bluetooth-timers/

49 minutes ago, euxx said:

So, you had no issue with linking timer to that Kindle device?

No, the problem was linking the timer to the Kindle.  As you say, it is possible we did not wait long enough for it to connect.  The IT guys were trying lots of stuff in rapid succession, so that may be part of it.  I reread the manual and push should only affect when the data is sent to the tablet, not Bluetooth linking.

11 minutes ago, euxx said:

Though RO can stop string on the timer by pushing M or either of the arrow buttons when competitor finished shooting. I'd recommend doing that even if BT push option is turned off.

I had the sensitivity set to 6 precisely so I could pick up SV 22 with no comp.  I count shots and look to see if a false positive was picked up.  I had no problem with echos, bolts closing, etc., and I didn't have to crowd the shooter.  I also use my timer anytime I have to run a USPSA PCC shooter.  That way I don't have to climb up his butt to record the last shot.

4 minutes ago, zzt said:

No, the problem was linking the timer to the Kindle.  As you say, it is possible we did not wait long enough for it to connect.  The IT guys were trying lots of stuff in rapid succession, so that may be part of it.  I reread the manual and push should only affect when the data is sent to the tablet, not Bluetooth linking.

To troubleshoot linking:

* Turn timer off

* Enable location services and Bluetooth on device

* Verify all other linked devices have screen off (have to check if Practiscore app for iOS keeps connection when screen is off).

* Then open Timer dialog, turn Timer on and wait

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just starting to use the timer for practice.  Using push mode with the Practiscore Log application eliminates having to access the tablet at the end of each string.  I've created a set of tags that correspond to the 32 combinations of guns, shooters and stages.  It's easy enough after practice of a stage to tag those strings, the only time I have to even look at the tablet.  If a stage practice involves some additional factor (plate sequence, new load, etc.) it's easy enough to create an additional tag.

This timer is a game changer for practice.

On 4/16/2020 at 10:42 AM, RickT said:

I'm just starting to use the timer for practice.  Using push mode with the Practiscore Log application eliminates having to access the tablet at the end of each string.  I've created a set of tags that correspond to the 32 combinations of guns, shooters and stages.  It's easy enough after practice of a stage to tag those strings, the only time I have to even look at the tablet.  If a stage practice involves some additional factor (plate sequence, new load, etc.) it's easy enough to create an additional tag.

This timer is a game changer for practice.

Glad you liked the PractiScore Log app. Please rate it and post a few words app review at the app store to show your support.

I just pushed 1.0.2 release today. It fixes issues with downloading data from AMG timer over Bluetooth and adds some new features.
https://www.facebook.com/eugene.practiscore/posts/655200191992903

• 3 months later...
I have a timer on order and need to get a dedicated tablet for it that will be used mainly for practice sessions. What is the best tablet to use that is the fastest and most reliable? 

Why not just use your phone?

I’ve had my timer now and been able to use it in several matches.  I cannot day enough good about it.  Size sensitivity button layout you name it it’s great.  

i shot my last match with my club VP. Before we started I handed him the timer and told

him what it was.  Not being a techie he was a bit skeptical and I had one guy complaining about how nothing is ever good enough and no need for a new timer it just makes things harder for people who understand. After telling him if the timer was too hard he could use the pasters for the day it took less than a stage before my VP was starting to ask how we replace the pocket pros we currently have with the amg labs timers. 

the current plan is looking like we will phase out the pocket pros and move to all amg labs timers next year. 

14 hours ago, slappybingo said:

I have a timer on order and need to get a dedicated tablet for it that will be used mainly for practice sessions. What is the best tablet to use that is the fastest and most reliable? 

To run my monthly match I bought 4 AMG timers and 5 Amazon Fire tablets. I have been very happy with the Fire tablets. They are way better than the iPads at another club, especially if it is hot outside. The latest updates to Practiscore have made the tablets even more reliable. The 8" Fire often goes on sale for $50. The Fire tablet is easy to see and keeps going in the heat.

Just now, Gregg K said:

To run my monthly match I bought 4 AMG timers and 5 Amazon Fire tablets. I have been very happy with the Fire tablets. They are way better than the iPads at another club, especially if it is hot outside. The latest updates to Practiscore have made the tablets even more reliable. The 8" Fire often goes on sale for $50. The Fire tablet is easy to see and keeps going in the heat.

Awesome! Thanks Gregg, I appreciate the feedback.