Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone try the Black Mountain 2011 aluminum grips?


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, muncie21 said:

I'd consider trying them if they offered a version with more aggressive grip. Also, I wonder if the standard 2011 mag release matches the contour of the grip or if a special design is needed.

 

 

I emailed them about a few things but haven't heard back yet.  I asked if their grip can use a STI type magwell, and mag catch.  I didn't see them list their own mag catch so I'm assuming it doesn't use a proprietary one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jschweg said:

These look really nice, but other than price, is there any reason why you would choose aluminum over steel?

Just wondering.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
 

 

I already have a few steel grips and just wanted to add to the collection.  They haven't responded back so I was curious if anyone here has one and can share info on their quality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay guys, but I just got the grip this week and was out of town until Saturday night.
 

Overall the grip looks great and the Cerakote Finish is well done. I put the frame on one of my other pistols and it popped right in without any fitting (it was an STI Frame with a TG series serial number).

 

My only concern is that while on the frame, all of my magazines would bind during the last quarter inch of insertion prior to seating. I haven’t messed with it yet, but looks like I have to put a little relief into the rear side of the frame for the magazine to seat comfortably (like the grip angle of the grip is off by a few degrees). In any event, I’m swamped with work at the moment, so hobbies have to take a back seat before I can investigate any further. 
 

Overall, The grip is sweet. My Dawson mag release fit right in as did the x-line vario trigger I had laying around. 
 

I had a Limcat magwell laying around, but it would not pop right on. Looks like I’d have to relive the front strap to make it fit. 
 

let me know if you have any other questions!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ARac40 said:

Sorry for the delay guys, but I just got the grip this week and was out of town until Saturday night.
 

Overall the grip looks great and the Cerakote Finish is well done. I put the frame on one of my other pistols and it popped right in without any fitting (it was an STI Frame with a TG series serial number).

 

My only concern is that while on the frame, all of my magazines would bind during the last quarter inch of insertion prior to seating. I haven’t messed with it yet, but looks like I have to put a little relief into the rear side of the frame for the magazine to seat comfortably (like the grip angle of the grip is off by a few degrees). In any event, I’m swamped with work at the moment, so hobbies have to take a back seat before I can investigate any further. 
 

Overall, The grip is sweet. My Dawson mag release fit right in as did the x-line vario trigger I had laying around. 
 

I had a Limcat magwell laying around, but it would not pop right on. Looks like I’d have to relive the front strap to make it fit. 
 

let me know if you have any other questions!

 

 

 

Thanks for the update!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2020 at 5:41 PM, ARac40 said:

Sorry for the delay guys, but I just got the grip this week and was out of town until Saturday night.
 

Overall the grip looks great and the Cerakote Finish is well done. I put the frame on one of my other pistols and it popped right in without any fitting (it was an STI Frame with a TG series serial number).

 

My only concern is that while on the frame, all of my magazines would bind during the last quarter inch of insertion prior to seating. I haven’t messed with it yet, but looks like I have to put a little relief into the rear side of the frame for the magazine to seat comfortably (like the grip angle of the grip is off by a few degrees). In any event, I’m swamped with work at the moment, so hobbies have to take a back seat before I can investigate any further. 
 

Overall, The grip is sweet. My Dawson mag release fit right in as did the x-line vario trigger I had laying around. 
 

I had a Limcat magwell laying around, but it would not pop right on. Looks like I’d have to relive the front strap to make it fit. 
 

let me know if you have any other questions!

 

 

So the grip angle... can you elaborate on that? Can you post pictures of the grip with the original grip on top to show the difference? 

Do you have a Dawson ICE magwell to try and fit on it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bulldog009 said:

So the grip angle... can you elaborate on that? Can you post pictures of the grip with the original grip on top to show the difference? 

Do you have a Dawson ICE magwell to try and fit on it?

 

The description on their V3 grip says the ICE is a good choice for their grip. I would assume it needs small fitting, but you may get lucky.

https://www.blackmountainfirearms.com/product-page/2011-pistol-grip-v3

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sam_b said:

 

The description on their V3 grip says the ICE is a good choice for their grip. I would assume it needs small fitting, but you may get lucky.

https://www.blackmountainfirearms.com/product-page/2011-pistol-grip-v3

I noticed that too when I visited the site again yesterday. I don't believe that line in the description was there the first time I looked at the site a few weeks back. I may give ARac40 a little more time to mess with his grip and give some more feedback before I order one. 

Edited by bulldog009
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, sam_b said:

 

The description on their V3 grip says the ICE is a good choice for their grip. I would assume it needs small fitting, but you may get lucky.

https://www.blackmountainfirearms.com/product-page/2011-pistol-grip-v3

 

 

It seems like the V3 is a new design from them.  Hopefully we get more info from ARac40 if the grip angle can be corrected with the relief cut he made. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Onpoint07 said:

I got one of there V3 grips. It just needed a little  extra clearance. Just filed the front and back wall a little on the grip where the mag goes and now it works great.

 

Hello Onpoint07, which mags are you using?  And what brand frame did you attach the grip to?  Did it require much fitting?  Any pics?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any size comparison of these to say a stock STI plastic grip? 

I actually run an Extreme Shooter DVC extra small because of my tiny hands, but I tend to bind the mag from falling by squeezing the grip too much during a reload. 

I don't want the added weight or cost of a steel grip so these look very interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tkane said:

Any size comparison of these to say a stock STI plastic grip? 

I actually run an Extreme Shooter DVC extra small because of my tiny hands, but I tend to bind the mag from falling by squeezing the grip too much during a reload. 

I don't want the added weight or cost of a steel grip so these look very interesting.

I'm curious of this as well. I have the same issue. I ended up getting the low paddle thumb safety from EGW so I could reach the trigger better. With all the metal grips out now I wonder if they are using the outside maximum dimension or just as thick as the material needs to be outward from the magwell and grip bushing area. I believe people are saying the limcat is the smallest grip out there. I was looking at LSI grips because they cut them for your frame dims, easier to fit. 

 

https://www.egwguns.com/egw-lower-paddle-safety-ss Lowered Thumb Safety

 

https://www.limcat.com/limcat-2011-grip 

 

https://lonestarinnovations.com/lsi-outlaw-1/

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...