Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2 for one budget optics question

Aiden

Hi everyone,

Exploring ideas for the next year and I'm looking through optics for CO. 

Anyone still rocking inexpensive mini red dots (Vortex, Burris) and rotating through them when they fail? Or is the current trend picking up as many DPPs, SROs, or Sig optics you can afford?

So basically, should I double the budget for an optic to satisfy the 2 is 1 requirement with the newer hotness?

I use the larger optics on my open guns but still have the original Romeo 1 6moa on my CO. It has taken a ton of abuse and at a couple hundred rather than over double the price I have no plans to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have four or five Burris FF3 8 MOA, three DPP 2.5, two RTS2 6 MOA and three SRO 5 MOA.  The oldest Burris was slide mounted on one of my 1911 45s and went 40,000 rounds before the little plastic window covering the LED port cracked and fell off.  The sight still worked fine, but Burris insisted on replacing it.  The window is small by today's standards, but the dot is easy to pick up when slide mounted.  It's size makes the transition from irons to reflex seamless.  They are rugged, batteries last seemingly forever and they are relatively inexpensive.

If you are going to frame mount the sight, I prefer those with larger windows.  I like the RTS2, but battery life is terrible.  I get one match at full brightness out of each of mine.  The DPP 2.5 is brighter than the Burris and I like the ergonomics.  The battery lasts a long time and can be easily changed during a match without removing the gun from your holster.  That is also true of the RTS2.

For me, the main advantage of the SRO is the roundness of the glass.  It allows my subconscious to more quickly pick up steel challenge targets.  I think it works like my UltraDot on my bullseye gun, or a peep sight.  It is just easier to acquire targets through a round lens, for me.

I've decided to dip my toe in the water with a Romeo 1. Inexpensive enough and different enough from the Vortex/Burris I've had in the past. 

Zzt thanks for all the information! I had the same line of reasoning when I went Burris when I first played around with CO. Smaller, lower, and similar to irons. This time I'll be trying a dovetail mount instead of a Glock MOS since I have commitment issues.

SRO looks pretty good without having shot one. Probably by the time I've decided if I'm shooting CO there will be lots of "long term" feedback by then.

My Romeo 1 has arrived today. Very excited to try it out. But still thinking a lot about what "upgrade" optic to get afterward. 

Weird how much the footprint of the CO platform can influence that decision. Like picking a phone based on the charger and screen protector you have sitting at home.