Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking a carry rig

Stafford

So far, I've competed with a regular belt and kydex belt holster. Running my Glock 17 and M&P 3.6 in Limited Minor and now Production. Everyone tells me to get a belt, but I decided to wait until I picked a competition pistol. Now, I've ordered a Shadow 2. I've looked at two complete rigs. One is $200 and should do the job. The other is $300 and should be better. The person I spoke with at Stoeger Pro Shop said that either would work  but that the more expensive option is a stiffer belt, and the holster is more adjustable and firm, and that the Blade Tech holster option was his preference for a Shadow 2.

Option 1 $197.95  - USPSA Essentials Holster, CR Speed Belt, and Mag Pouch Rig with two extra pouches added for Production Class -

https://benstoegerproshop.com/uspsa-essentials-holster-belt-mag-pouch-rig/

Option 2 $302.95 - BSPS Boss DOH holster, Ghost mag pouches, and DAA belt with Blade Tech holster option

https://benstoegerproshop.com/bsps-boss-doh-holster-5-x-ghost-magazine-pouches-double-alpha-academy-daa-belt-deal/

I don't know that either will make one bit of difference in my time or scores. But if option 2 is really that much better, let me know what you think....

just beware there are limitations on drop holsters (at least in production and CO) - heel of butt of gun must be above the belt.  with the bladetech DOH, you can remove  and replace the drop piece as needed.

I think you would be better served with the more expensive option. The boss hanger will support the heavier pistol better. 

That being said, I use(d) a comp tac DOH for a good while in Limited with a Para and still use it for SS. It works pretty well. 

I’d choose option 2 as well, having a stiffer belt with a heavy gun and 5 mags will serve you better. It’s amazing how much a weak belt will flex and how uncomfortable it will be with a heavy gun and mags on it.

9 minutes ago, mveto said:

I’d choose option 2 as well, having a stiffer belt with a heavy gun and 5 mags will serve you better. It’s amazing how much a weak belt will flex and how uncomfortable it will be with a heavy gun and mags on it.

I've used a CR Speed belt with an all steel 1911 govt with a drop hanger and it works just fine. They are pretty stiff.

Go for option 2.  The Comptac holster included in Option 1 is a fine holster (it's what I have on my 3gun belt) but the included drop/offset hanger from CompTac is objectively horrible and universally hated. It points the gun inward directly at your thigh. That alone is reason to ditch it, not to mention it's a strange angle to draw from. You'll eventually spend $50 to upgrade it to the BOSS hanger anyway.

Option 2 is a much better value, even though it's more money.

Both are quality components and DAA is indeed the stiffest (and thickest - don't count on being able to use Tek-Lock on DAA premium belt). 

The price difference is primarily from two items (as broadside72 pointed out above) - two extra magazine pouches and the BOSS hanger. Belt and holsters are very comparable and are all high quality options.

Personally, I wouldn't shoot low capacity division without at least 5 pouches. I used to shoot L10 (live in CA) for two years and having 5 pouches was necessary. I had 6 magazines, five on the belt and a Barney. I would load the first round from the Barney, then insert the last magazine, leaving 4 on the belt. On extra-nasty stages I would put Barney into the vacated last pouch, just in case. At least once I had to use it - fumbled one reload and a good stage plan called for 4 reloads to begin with. If you just have 3 pouches, you will always have to have two extra magazines in the pocket, one for Barney and one to load initially. Too much hassle to save a few bucks. 

In this case, the comparison is the Essentials rig with 2 extra pouches vs. the BSPS Boss/DAA rig which comes with 5. The price I quoted for the Essentials includes the cost of the 2 extra pouches. 

If the Essentials rig will work, then I’ll save $100. If the BSPS rig is clearly better due to the Boss hanger, then I’ll get it. Will probably purchase later this week as my Shadow 2 is due to arrive at my FFL in two days.