Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

g45 for CO?

Sawdustnsteel

heres my conundrum. I already shoot an STI dvc 3gun for limited, nordic for PCC, Id bought a sig 320 x5 for CO and had a cenik as well. after kicking it about for two months I opted instead of having a dedicated CO gun to actually USE a gun I could and would carry for CO ( sold the sig and gifted the cenik) and picked up a g45 MOS. ( had an old deltapoint I put on it already.) I personally have went through a number of glocks over the years, theyre not my first choice for a firearm so inadvertently by either finding a rediculous deal or raffle win Id ended up with four g19s to date. all I stippled and gifted to friends and family since I hated the short grip g19 ( Ive half a thumb on my dominate hand which puts a lot of meat right in the swell)

anyhow, in my grand plan Ive had some pals say " oh youll hate the shorter barrel accuracy" having alreaady shot the g45 I dont see any degredation of accuracy from a shorter barrel versus a longer barrel, it seems with the longer grip Im having only slightly noticeable muzzle rise. bear in mind im still under 200 rounds. IS there any factual accuracy issue difference to expect in future after round count goes up? granted within the working life of the barrel. Im certainly not a fan of the trigger, yet word is it mellows out with use/polish and changing the springs helps a good deal. at the moment im working more on tryin to love it. with the longer grip i dont forsee any issue with that, just time and getting familuar with it.

the other thing, do any of you use a g45 for CO? what issues have you found? and solutions.

I doubt the short barrel makes that much of a difference. I carry a 26 and shoot it better than my 17 for some reason. I ran that for a while in IDPA before I abandoned it for USPSA.

I always saw the 19 as the worst of both scenarios as a guy with big hands but will probably end up with one for my wife. I'm not a huge fan of Glocks but they seem to work and mags and parts are pretty cheap.

5 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I doubt the short barrel makes that much of a difference. I carry a 26 and shoot it better than my 17 for some reason. I ran that for a while in IDPA before I abandoned it for USPSA.

I always saw the 19 as the worst of both scenarios as a guy with big hands but will probably end up with one for my wife. I'm not a huge fan of Glocks but they seem to work and mags and parts are pretty cheap.

That’s. 

Pretty much my stance on them. 19s remind me of sigs p224. Sure it sends rounds but the grip sucked on it just as much as the 19. Both have palm swell, right where no average palm ends up.

trackcage I shoot largely factory reloads or just factory ammo. Most often getting Ventura munitions in the highest grain available with some competition ammo used before a match and during. I figure twice a month using pricey bullets isn’t too bad and Ventura reloads are great practice ammo, little hotter than most for velocity but makes me  grip better and really shows when I’m fatigued and failing to grip well. Between packing up my house seven months ago to move and now being in a condo I have no room to unpack  reloading supplies. Andto be fair, I pretty much focus on rifleand shotgun for reloading

To me, I just don’t see much options realistically for carrying a CO pistol daily... thus g45. The canik and sig 320x5 are damen near the size of a 2011. I’m not overtly concerned with sucking with it, I figure the difference in the end between shooting it in CO and shooting an sti 2011 in limited comes down more to how well practiced I am and less about the tool used. Of course triggers are vastly different but I’m thinking if I shut up and keep actively firing it the g45 will be just as if not more accurate down the road. Especially with a red dot. That’s the goal anywho, maybe optimistic as hell but I got time;)

11 minutes ago, HCH said:

Put a connector and some springs in it and it will help the trigger a lot. I never thought I would like the g45/19x, but shooting one changed my mind. 

I figured id run a couple thousand rounds in it to get used to it before I spend more money on the Lego brand guicci gun:P 

to be fair, thus far the g45 is the first glock ive liked. ( even the 17L I got WAY back in the day, shot factory ammo though and had two FTE in the first 4 mags. never had a new gun have any issues. that was my first to consistently have FTE ... my glock hate started with that one..)

3 minutes ago, Sawdustnsteel said:

I figured id run a couple thousand rounds in it to get used to it before I spend more money on the Lego brand guicci gun:P 

to be fair, thus far the g45 is the first glock ive liked. ( even the 17L I got WAY back in the day, shot factory ammo though and had two FTE in the first 4 mags. never had a new gun have any issues. that was my first to consistently have FTE ... my glock hate started with that one..)

Gotcha. What I was suggesting would cost about $50 (See: TTI GM connector kit)

1 minute ago, HCH said:

Gotcha. What I was suggesting would cost about $50 (See: TTI GM connector kit)

Roger, I certainly will look at springs and connectors and appriciate the TTI direction. I use a lot of Tarans products already so I trust what he puts up for sale. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2019 at 11:14 AM, Sawdustnsteel said:

heres my conundrum. I already shoot an STI dvc 3gun for limited, nordic for PCC, Id bought a sig 320 x5 for CO and had a cenik as well. after kicking it about for two months I opted instead of having a dedicated CO gun to actually USE a gun I could and would carry for CO ( sold the sig and gifted the cenik) and picked up a g45 MOS. ( had an old deltapoint I put on it already.) I personally have went through a number of glocks over the years, theyre not my first choice for a firearm so inadvertently by either finding a rediculous deal or raffle win Id ended up with four g19s to date. all I stippled and gifted to friends and family since I hated the short grip g19 ( Ive half a thumb on my dominate hand which puts a lot of meat right in the swell)

anyhow, in my grand plan Ive had some pals say " oh youll hate the shorter barrel accuracy" having alreaady shot the g45 I dont see any degredation of accuracy from a shorter barrel versus a longer barrel, it seems with the longer grip Im having only slightly noticeable muzzle rise. bear in mind im still under 200 rounds. IS there any factual accuracy issue difference to expect in future after round count goes up? granted within the working life of the barrel. Im certainly not a fan of the trigger, yet word is it mellows out with use/polish and changing the springs helps a good deal. at the moment im working more on tryin to love it. with the longer grip i dont forsee any issue with that, just time and getting familuar with it.

the other thing, do any of you use a g45 for CO? what issues have you found? and solutions.

The only potential downside I see is the fact that you'll be loosing velocity with a shorter barrel forcing you to run hotter loads to make PF. The accuracy is so marginal most will never see the benefit. Maybe a G34 sized gun will soak up the recoil slightly more as well. Glocks are inherently on the lighter side for pistols in that class. 

On 1/26/2020 at 8:18 AM, rootacres said:

The only potential downside I see is the fact that you'll be loosing velocity with a shorter barrel forcing you to run hotter loads to make PF. The accuracy is so marginal most will never see the benefit. Maybe a G34 sized gun will soak up the recoil slightly more as well. Glocks are inherently on the lighter side for pistols in that class. 

If shooting Carry Optics in USPSA you only need to make minor power factor.  There isn't a major power factor and I think that can be easily done with most any load

1 hour ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

If shooting Carry Optics in USPSA you only need to make minor power factor.  There isn't a major power factor and I think that can be easily done with most any load

I know CO is all scored as minor. It is marginal but there will be a velocity loss running a 4.5" (G19) barrel compared to a 5.3" (G34) barrel. You would be forced to run with a higher charge to make the same PF. Most factory ammo would be fine but for those reloading it would make a difference. A hotter load in a lighter gun would lead to more recoil. 

On 1/26/2020 at 9:18 AM, rootacres said:

+1, I don't know how much you'll lose going down to a 19 barrel but there is about 5 PF difference in my 34 and 17. 

On 1/28/2020 at 6:44 AM, rootacres said:

I know CO is all scored as minor. It is marginal but there will be a velocity loss running a 4.5" (G19) barrel compared to a 5.3" (G34) barrel. You would be forced to run with a higher charge to make the same PF. Most factory ammo would be fine but for those reloading it would make a difference. A hotter load in a lighter gun would lead to more recoil. 

Except that you have less reciprocating mass so the recoil would be less from that.  Also, you have a full sized grip on th G45.  I don't think .8" will take you out of the required PF for minor.  I'll do some testing on the differences in velocity next time I get to the range.  When testing for PF for my G45 I typically run into reliability issues with soft loads (slide won't fully cycle) before I run out of velocity to meet minimum PF. YMMV

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 9:13 AM, Jeremyc_1999 said:

Except that you have less reciprocating mass so the recoil would be less from that.  Also, you have a full sized grip on th G45.  I don't think .8" will take you out of the required PF for minor.  I'll do some testing on the differences in velocity next time I get to the range.  When testing for PF for my G45 I typically run into reliability issues with soft loads (slide won't fully cycle) before I run out of velocity to meet minimum PF. YMMV

I guess I have yet to find anyone that feels a G19/G45 has less felt recoil than a G34 and it shows. The G34 is the overwhelming favorite among Glock shooters in Prod and CO. I did state that "it is marginal but there will be a velocity loss" running a shorter barrel. There is no mention of dropping below PF requirements for minor just that "you would be forced to run with a higher charge to make the same PF". A hotter load in a lighter weight gun would have exponentially more felt recoil. Using an aftermarket guide rod and recoil spring could solve your reliability issues. 

Barrel length is 4.02" on the 45. The 34 is 5.31".  1.29" is not insignificant. That is giving up almost 25% of barrel life compared to a 34. Accuracy won't be your problem but PF may. If you reload, throw some more powder in there and shoot. Equipment is rarely the limiting factor in competitive shooting.

19 hours ago, rootacres said:

I guess I have yet to find anyone that feels a G19/G45 has less felt recoil than a G34 and it shows. The G34 is the overwhelming favorite among Glock shooters in Prod and CO. I did state that "it is marginal but there will be a velocity loss" running a shorter barrel. There is no mention of dropping below PF requirements for minor just that "you would be forced to run with a higher charge to make the same PF". A hotter load in a lighter weight gun would have exponentially more felt recoil. Using an aftermarket guide rod and recoil spring could solve your reliability issues. 

I’m not arguing about a g34 being better than a g19. Having a full size grip makes a lot of difference. I went from a g34 to a g45. I think I can make faster, flatter follow up shots with the g45

• 1 year later...

I’ve been playing w my G45 in CO and I feel I can make faster follow up shots (inside 20-25 yds) than w my 34. The longer side radius of the 34 definitely comes into play but once you put a dot on it, non issue. Shooting the G45 at 40 yds w a dot and easily keeping the in the A zone, I think it’s accurate enough. 

the 34 in CO made the gun and recoil feel a little sluggish and slower. G45 felt more responsive. Have t tried the G17, but that will be the next test to play with. 

Factory ammo out of the G 45 is 138 pf and up. Non issue