Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic for Rimfire ELR

practical_man

Looking for opinions on a decent mid-tier optic for moderate ranges. Primary use will be experimenting with Rimfire Long Range shooting. Possibly transition to a cneterfire rifle later. 

Budget is a constraint so top shelf optics are out of reach. (I know, buy once and cry once or buy cheap and cry twice. Still, kids complain bitterly when you don’t feed them so budget matters.) would like to stay below the $1k price point. 

Looking for something like 4x on the low end, 15x or so on the high end. Not stuck on these magnifications though. In my limited experience with optics I like the ability to find targets at lower power and Zoom as required.  

First Focal Plane, side focus, repeatable adjustments, and durable are required features.  Would like to stick with mil reticle and mil adjustments. Plenty of elevation is also helpful, thought I plan to use a tapered scope base to add some elevation for longer ranges. 

also interested in advice about bases and rings. 

First experiment will be with a Savage MK 2 FV. I can shoot out to about 500 yards locally. The idea is to practice with the rimfire on wind calls and accurate ranging with the reticle. 

I’m a complete novice in longer range rifle work. Please help me get started with decent gear for the task that won’t break either budget or morale. 

thanks

-John 

12 hours ago, 2alphas said:

Athlon Midas Tac or Athlon ARES etr both under a grand. the TAC actually under $500. These are both very popular in rimfire PRS events.

Thanks. I have been looking at the Athlon quite a bit. Mixed reviews are what initially kept me from buying one. 

Some years ago My initial foray into optics wasn’t fruitful. I purchased a couple of mid priced scopes that turned out to be lemons. Once burned, twice shy. 

I will look at Athlon again. Might be the ticket. 

I am not shooting it yet.

I have talked with some great shooters about what is needed.

Almost uniformly they say a 24X is about the minimum upper range.  They are using 30X+ on their scopes.

FFP is an absolute must.

I have a JP I am going to use but waiting until after Christmas before I start.