Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading slef defense rounds

Dmatzinger

Thinking about loading self defense rounds.  I find myself not practicing live fire with my carry gun, simply due to the cost per round is too high.  I reload my own target and competition loads, so I am think about buying 1000 124 gr hollow points, and reloading my own self defense rounds, so I can afford to practice with my carry gun using the same ammo I carry in it.

I am using Alliant sport pistol

Looking to buy 9mm 124gr Hybrid Hollow Point bullets

Once fired Nickel coated brass

Federal primer

Alliant "recipe" for 124 gn hollow points is as follows

4.4 grains @1.12 OAL 1071 FPS, (based on Alliant load data) http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=42&cartridge=23

or

+p 4.7 Grains @1.12 OAL 1122 FPS, (Based on Alliant load data) http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=42&cartridge=189

To this point I have been shooting +P factory loads in my carry gun, (federal 124+p hollow point), but have shot less then 100 rounds of this through it.  I have shoot, my hand load target / competition loads around 1000, 

My question really boils down to this, 

If I am loading my own, should I load it at the +p data, or just go with the standard pressure powder weight?

and what should be my success criteria? 

FPS?

feel?

accuracy?

Power factor?  (if so what power factor am I after for self defense rounds?)

For my target / competition hand loads, my success criteria is reach power factor, but not sure how that applies to carry ammo.

I have a chrono, and planned to build and test 20 rounds per weight as follows, 

and at +P

4.7 Grains

4.6 Grains, 

4.5 Grains

standard pressure,

4.4 grains

4.3 grains 

4.2 grains

4.1 grains

4.0 grains

I know I can get function data, going every other weight, but I enjoy this part of it, and shooting 100 rounds of each pressure to collect the data sounds like a great time!

My carry gun is a glock 26

Thank you in advance for you feedback!

Daniel

The Sport Pistol wont adequately mimic most SD loads, it is too fast and won't achieve the same velocity.   I have used BE-86 with good success behind a 124gr RMR MPR JHP.  I loaded 5.9gr, and got over 1240fps out of my CK open gun (I just wanted to calculate PF because this is a super soft shooting load in that gun).

If you just want to load and carry the same ammo, then go ahead and try the Sport Pistol.

The RMR MPR is a great bullet for not being bonded.  They would be worth looking at. 

Personally, I would load ammo that has a recoil impulse similar to your carry ammo, and use that as range ammo, but carry factory ammo. I remember seeing a couple instances where people were dragged over the coals in court after using their own reloads in a self defense scenario. I don’t have any specific sources for this, but have heard rumors of it. In my opinion, it’s better safe than sorry and I personally wouldn’t carry any ammo Iv loaded myself.

If you have a chronograph my 124gr Federal HST (tactical) has an average velocity of 1269 which is a power factor of 157. This was shot out of my Glock 34. Can get more data with a Glock 19, Walther PPS M2, CZ SP-01, shield, P320, kimber micro 9, or FNX9 between any of guns my dad or myself owns if any of those would help you. Also have a few round of Hornady American gunner 115 gr I could run through one of them if needed.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Dmatzinger said:

..........I am using Alliant sport pistol

Looking to buy 9mm 124gr Hybrid Hollow Point bullets..........

If you're looking to mimic your carry loads then use a slower powder than Sport Pistol.  It's not designed for the higher velocities like a slower powder is and the recoil impulse might be a little different than your carry loads.  

Try BE-86, Auto Comp, AA #5, CFE, N340, N350 or powders that are slower like that. 

With BE-86 under a jacketed 124 gr ~1.12" you're looking around 5.5 to 5.6 gr to equal a standard pressure 124 gr Gold Dot load (~1150 fps via a 4").  

I would try the AA5 or the N320 or N340 

Chrono some of your factory carry ammo and go from there. My personal ammo is going to be what is the most reliable and accurate. I think most defense ammo could stand less recoil, I've never shot a G26, but I know a hot load in a G27 is a handfull

Agree with the comment above about carrying factory ammo, but loading up practice rounds to mimic your factory load feel. Went to a reloading class and a seperate carry class that both highly recommended using only factory for reasons of lawyers. One less thing to potentialy get hung up on if you ever have to defend yourself. It was suggested to keep the box for the factory loads being carried as well.

1 hour ago, travail said:

Went to a reloading and a carry class that both recommended factory ammo for reasons of lawyers.

Especially if you live in a Blue state.

Other advantage of carrying factory ammo is its much less likely to have a FTF

or any other kind of problem.

Not all Hollow Point bullets are designed to expand - I've heard the MG bullets are not real good at expanding - they're target bullets.

No reason to go up by 0.1 grains of powder - go up by 0.2 and it will save you a lot of work.

When you select a powder, I'd gravitate to one which has less muzzle flash, since most social emergencies take place in near dark situations.

Good luck - the carry class I took reiterated over and over - do NOT get into a gun fight - avoid it at all costs - shoot ONLY iff absolutely necessary

and you have no other alternative.

Personally, I would load ammo that has a recoil impulse similar to your carry ammo, and use that as range ammo, but carry factory ammo. I remember seeing a couple instances where people were dragged over the coals in court after using their own reloads in a self defense scenario. I don’t have any specific sources for this, but have heard rumors of it. In my opinion, it’s better safe than sorry and I personally wouldn’t carry any ammo Iv loaded myself.

This is not true and has long since been debunked yet it’s one of those internet rumors that won’t die. There has never been a single documented case of this happening. Or even the issue being brought up in court. And yes, I’ve spent hundreds of hours in an actual court of law and on the stand as a former police officer (something I’m not proud of). Not specifically in an cases regarding this, but I have a solid understanding of how the legal system works and just don’t see this ever being an issue. If someone is going to be prosecuted for an improper self defense shoot there just isn’t any legal jurisprudence for this to hold any water. It’s going to be centered around whether that persons life or the life of others in the immediate vicinity was or was not in immediate danger, and was the use of force appropriate in the force continuum.

There are probably plenty of decent arguments to make regarding why you shouldn’t carry reloads for self defense, but the one above isn’t one of them. I’ve never seen an argument that changed my mind personally, but to each his own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk