Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik elite combat magwell allowed for ipsc?

parabat

Hi all,

Quick question, the canik elite combat is on the production allowed list, but it comes with a factory magwell..do i need to remove te magwell?or is it allowed,since it comes on the gun from the factory and its just on the list.

The sig p320x5 is on the list but its says, " if the magwell is removed" it does not say that for the canik..

Anyone knows?

Thanks,

Edited by parabat

Hi all,

Quick question, the canik elite combat is on the production allowed list, but it comes with a factory magwell..do i need to remove te magwell?or is it allowed,since it comes on the gun from the factory and its just on the list.

The sig p320x5 is on the list but its says, " if the magwell is removed" it does not say that for the canik..

Anyone knows?

Thanks,
Yes you must remove magwell for production. Otherwise, you'll be bumped to open

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

On 12/14/2019 at 12:10 PM, Rnlinebacker said:

"Yes you must remove magwell for production. Otherwise, you'll be bumped to open"

Here's the rule:   IPSC Handgun Rulebook  Appendix D4: Production Division....Special Conditions:  17.1 ...Other prohibited modifications include those which facilitate faster reloading (eg  racking or cocking handles, flared, enlarged and/or add-on magwells etc.)

On 12/15/2019 at 6:33 PM, race1911 said:

Here's the rule:   IPSC Handgun Rulebook  Appendix D4: Production Division....Special Conditions:  17.1 ...Other prohibited modifications include those which facilitate faster reloading (eg  racking or cocking handles, flared, enlarged and/or add-on magwells etc.)

I've got no dog in this fight, but am curious - is a factory-installed magwell on a production model considered a modification? It doesn't seem that it would fit the definition of a modification or an "add-on" magwell. 

Simply put:  guns on the Production Approved List without any magwells are allowed..........IF you wish you can always arbitrate it for the $100 fee but you will most definitely lose not only the arbitration, but your hundred bucks also

Edited by race1911

Maybe there is another rule on that somewhere?

Per the rule you cited, there is certainly a good argument for allowing factory built pistols with magwells included, since they are neither modifications or add-ons. That is per the wording of the rule, but maybe there's an unwritten interpretation of it that fits what you said? 

40 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Oh gosh here starts the reinventing the rule book

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reinventing? No, I'm asking about a direct interpretation of the rule as it is written. That is the opposite of reinventing it.

I'm also asking if there is another rule that covers this.

What the rule quoted above says and what race1911 said are not the same. 

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...

As a new owner of this gun I was searching for this exact question to verify my own understanding of the rules. My interpretation of the rules is that the magwell extension on the gun is allowed. I'm reading the rules as a range officer (RO).

1. it comes installed from the factory thereby making it original part and stantard equipment

2. magwells are prohibited as modifications. Modification means a change to the stantard equipment/original parts. The wording does not expressly prohibit magwells, only if it is achieved as a modification to the stantard layout.

3. The elite combat comes with a racking handle mountable on the optics plate, however this type of racking handles are separately prohibited without leaving any doubts.

Magwells could and should have been expressly prohibited if it was so desired. However there are guns where the flared magwell is made into the body (e.g. Glock Gen 5). In comparison Glock's flared magwell is much better than Canik's, where the detachable part offers little advantage over the existing flaring in the body. It's actually better at improving grip on the gun than for inserting mags.

Edited by Fishu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...